Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

1 minute ago, Audible_Red40 said:

The unit was not ready to play.  They are much better then that.

It would also help if our running back did not go down after being touched every single time.

No.. as they've shown the last few years they are NOT better than that. They absolutely suck run blocking, as evidenced by how pathetic the run game is since callahan and Gruden took over. Kelley was 2nd in the league in yards after contact last year, so he doesn't typically "go down after being touched every single time".. however there isn't much choice when you got 2 dl pummeling you right after taking the handoff.

Hearing Jay yesterday go into it, he called out every single piece of the line for a play or two and said that's why it looked so bad.  Every player has a bad play or two a game, so I can get with that.  But it really felt more like covering up what everyone has known for some time now, that Long and Lauvao getting pushed around with ease has a negative impact on the entire line. Scherff has been looking rather soft dating back to August as well.  I still can't get over Hogs 2.0.  I've always been a firm believer that you earn nicknames.

I think our run play calling sucks. Unimaginative, almost running for the sake of running to keep defenses honest, not using our OL to their strengths... I dunno. But being creative is running on 2nd and 10 with CT. Which sadly fools no one of late.

It has been so bad for so long I now am starting to question techniques being taught. The OL has trended downward in the Callahan era, has it not? All with overall good health across the line.

How much worse could this be:  Ty Trent Chase Brandon Moses

Yeah yeah I know continuity contischmooity FTW

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think our run play calling sucks. Unimaginative, almost running for the sake of running to keep defenses honest, not using our OL to their strengths... I dunno. But being creative is running on 2nd and 10 with CT. Which sadly fools no one of late.

It has been so bad for so long I now am starting to question techniques being taught. The OL has trended downward in the Callahan era, has it not? All with overall good health across the line.

This offseason i got into an argument with a buddy of mine about this... Trent is an all pro LT... many say the best in football... how can we move him to a different position?  Are you out of your melon?  Then it hit me.. He's been an all pro O-lineman, on a bottom half of the league line.  I'm softening on my opposition of moving him inside... and it feels weird lol.  It could truly help Chase develop, but it does add more to his plate for setting up the O-line alignment.  That being said, it instantly improves the line by a large margin, just on talent.  

Moses and Scherff were the points of failure on Sunday.  Moses gave up three sacks and him and Scherff surrendered nine friggin pressures.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-philadelphia-eagles-30-washington-redskins-17

Moses was playing on a hurt ankle against a top five edge player and he got his ass handed to him.  The outcome sucked, but it doesn't mean Moses sucks.

The Redskins OL was not prepared to play a front as good as Philly's and this plus the injuries led to the terrible execution.  The Eagles DL is also loaded and they'd give us match up issues even if we were well prepared and fully healthy.  But the line has the talent to match up with most other teams and they'll bounce back from this crappy performance.

Just now, OVCChairman said:

This offseason i got into an argument ...

It's risky for sure, but we have only seen good and heard great things about Ty, but at the same time are told he is a MUCH better LT than RT.

As someone already mentioned, there is some return on investment by just getting your best 5 onto the field. I am growing to hate the thinking that static OL's are the key to an OLs success. At some point, you have to look at the skills of the individuals.  One of the games last night, they started a rookie center. 

We see NE use a TE at Guard and not miss a beat. So play calling is a factor. I don't know how wise it is for Jay to keep calling 5/7 drops with all 3 interior getting burned. The most disturbing is Brandon. WTF. Probowls don't mean anything on Sundays when his man is storming up the gut clean.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

It's risky for sure, but we have only seen good and heard great things about Ty, but at the same time are told he is a MUCH better LT than RT.

As someone already mentioned, there is some return on investment by just getting your best 5 onto the field. I am growing to hate the thinking that static OL's are the key to an OLs success. At some point, you have to look at the skills of the individuals.  One of the games last night, they started a rookie center. 

We see NE use a TE at Guard and not miss a beat. So play calling is a factor. I don't know how wise it is for Jay to keep calling 5/7 drops with all 3 interior getting burned. The most disturbing is Brandon. WTF. Probowls don't mean anything on Sundays when his man is storming up the gut clean.

Absolutely... Trent went out for 2 plays this past weekend, and Jay called a freakin deep out (iirc) or some other long developing play, and a run... wtf are you doin guy?  The playcalling was insane to me.  If my starting LT comes out, I'm running right, or screen right, get the ball going AWAY from the that area, not a 5 / 7 step drop where Kirk has to wait for the break and analyze the coverage. 

7 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Absolutely... Trent went out for 2 plays this past weekend, and Jay called a freakin deep out (iirc) or some other long developing play, and a run... wtf are you doin guy?  The playcalling was insane to me.  If my starting LT comes out, I'm running right, or screen right, get the ball going AWAY from the that area, not a 5 / 7 step drop where Kirk has to wait for the break and analyze the coverage. 

Agreed. Especially if its a total stud RE drooling like Homer seeing the backup come in... yeah lets roll out right to buy time for Grant to get deep this time....

You know what I love, is when the backup OL comes in, the ball coach decides to run right behind him. Let him get his feet wet on an easy assignment that he cannot botch, where he just bulldozes forward. Get the nerves calmed down, and lets him get a feel of his opponent, and also give the coach an idea of how he grades against that DE.

Some guys just have other guys numbers. The game within the game. I sure hope that is what has been wrong with Brandon.

Trent's value is in pass protection.  If you move him to guard then you're going to experience a downgrade in pass pro at LT from Nsehke even though Nsehke is a quality player.

A+ pass protection at LT and C run blocking at LG > B pass protection at LT and A+ run blocking at LG.  There is nothing as valuable than being able to single-handedly neutralize an elite edge rush from the left.

Rather than continuing to move guys who are good enough to play tackle to guard, we should draft or sign some good guards.  That's the best way to fix the issue.

To me its on Callahan first and foremost... replace him with a trash can and you will get the same result.

1. you have a top 5 LT in the game

2. You just paid your RT like a top 2-3 RT in the game (is he worth it?)

This team has not been able to run block for **** the last 3 years...  please stop with this top 5 oline BS.. Skins were never a top 5 line.. Kirks quick release helped to make the Oline look better than it really is. Its mind boggling that in 3 yeras they cant figure out one of the simplest things in the game.. run blocking. 

And finally instead of getting better, they are getting worse as a unit. Now they cant pass block either. it seemed like Kirk was scrambling for his life on most pass plays.

we cant run block.  oline and TE's just cant seem to do it.  no idea why, but the run game has been awful since gruden showed up.  bottom half of the league every year.  we usually have two games where we have a billion rush yards out of the blue, the rest of the time its just our bad running backs running into brick walls for 2 yards a click.

pass pro is usually solid, just had a bad day against a ferocious eagles rush that was blitzing constantly.  i blame gruden and kirk for not adjusting to quicker passes and a different gameplan after the second jailbreak 0 cover blitz lol.

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

need riggo as a coach

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Before you get too alarmed about the Scherff, consider how much having a wounded duck at RT affects the RG's ability to do his own job. 

It's easy to say "know your role" and "don't worry about the other guy's assignment" but when that guy next to you can't stop anyone it begins to affect your ability to do what you're supposed to do. I think that is a big factor in why Scherff isn't playing the way we're used to seeing him play. That and having Long on the other side, also not being all that effective. 

You might have noticed Scherff come alive a bit more when Roullier started. Not a coincidence in my book.

Put Nsekhe in at RT and get Moses healthy. If you need to shuffle some guys a bit do it. But Moses isn't playing right. Either he's suddenly gotten much worse, or he's so banged up he can't really cut it right now. I'm assuming the latter.

28 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Before you get too alarmed about the Scherff, consider how much having a wounded duck at RT affects the RG's ability to do his own job.

I had theorized that BScherff was injured.... maybe they are both injured, which would explain a lot.

Chase is the key. If this is the way our line will look for the next few weeks, Jay has to do something.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

.  But the line has the talent to match up with most other teams and they'll bounce back from this crappy performance.

Won't be this week. That Rams line has to be excited. If our quick passing game isn't on point, we're gonna get absolutely crushed.

14 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I had theorized that BScherff was injured.... maybe they are both injured, which would explain a lot.

Chase is the key. If this is the way our line will look for the next few weeks, Jay has to do something.

If we go into the bye week looking like we have, he has to do something major.  This can't continue, I've opened my mind to Trent @ RG and it's starting to really tickle my curiosity... 

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

If we go into the bye week looking like we have, he has to do something major.  This can't continue, I've opened my mind to Trent @ RG and it's starting to really tickle my curiosity... 

no one has suggested that, it's been LG that is the suggestion

Sadly maybe RG needs him more heh. 9 pressures is disturbing no matter how many teammates he was trying to cover for. Was Brandon a left in college? Ty BS Chase Trent Moses FTW. I still say we look like zone guys trying to run power. Jay inherited zone but is a power guy. I didn't see any of Mike's old plays. Power isn't working folks. Is Jay going to stay power no matter how ugly it looks?  Maybe that line can do a little better at power runs.

Let's use this for RB discussion since I think its safe to say with our backs, the OL dictates their success in the run game.  Kelley for having lost weight, actually looked slower to me. And sadly, looked to have lost a little break tackle. It's hard to say either with certainty of course because he had Fletcher ****ing Cox on his back all game. CT is quicker to the hole, but even he had tough sledding. I was really bummed to see Perine not get a snap, but was happy to hear that he had 10 teams snaps.

I want to see passing to our backs tried more, maybe as a hot route when the predictable blitz comes on Sunday. Let guys come free and try to burn the blitz. Jay has to be or better game planning for a heavy blitz / lots of pressure. Perine has hands.

Archived