Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, OVCChairman said:

It has been something that has made me want to pull my hair out... there have been a few times that I've seen an edge rusher push Moses / Nseke back and Cousins will either throw the ball away, or take off to one side or the other.  In some of those instances, it would look like Cousins could literally take one step forward, and slide to the right and have given himself some additional time. 

In fairness to Kirk or any QB, he can't see that like you can watching on a big screen. Otherwise, I'm sure he would do it.

I'm guilty of yelling STEP UP, GEEZ!  I'm sure he'd yell back, "You get in here and try it genius".

13 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

In fairness to Kirk or any QB, he can't see that like you can watching on a big screen. Otherwise, I'm sure he would do it.

I'm guilty of yelling STEP UP, GEEZ!  I'm sure he'd yell back, "You get in here and try it genius".

So much this. The speed in real life is beyond what most can comprehend. 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

So any guesses what happened between the line we saw last season and this one? We have the same five guys starting and the lines look completely different this year. I know Long is out but he can't be the only reason it looks that bad

TW always takes the preseason off, and inability to scheme against looks teams will give. 

Line is always the last to gel. 

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

TW always takes the preseason off, and inability to scheme against looks teams will give. 

This line's been together for three years, and Trent wasn't beat on a "schemed" play- he was beat on a routine one v one matchup. Against the backup. 

3 hours ago, bobandweave said:

So any guesses what happened between the line we saw last season and this one? We have the same five guys starting and the lines look completely different this year. I know Long is out but he can't be the only reason it looks that bad

Line has been bad.  The quick passing game made it look better than it was but this team had issues with the interior blocking the last two seasons as well.  Slow developing pass plays were a gamble and run blocking was an adventure because the interior line was as likely to let a defender into the backfield as they were to hold their ground.  

This OL has no right to call themselves the hogs 2.0

They're playing more like the piglets.

The start of the game was a poor effort again.  Anyone that thinks Roullier played well should go watch the tape.  He wasn't terrible but got pushed back and gave up the middle easily.  The OL did improve as the game went on and had some good plays with improved protection.  Why they're starting so slow seems like motivation at this point.  No new OL injuries was the best news about them.

KC looks apprehensive and is starring down his targets.  He doesn't look comfortable and is once again playing apprehensive and without confidence.  Once he shakes that off and gets going, he makes some good throws and looks normal.  Seems like the reps he's gotten this year might help him get over his 'period' earlier this year then later.

Special Teams is ballin though.  After the first two pillow fights this game showed some urgency after they got behind so quickly.  I'd have to give them a satisfactory performance with the gameball going to the Special Teams Unit.  

8 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This OL has no right to call themselves the hogs 2.0

They're playing more like the piglets.

The start of the game was a poor effort again.  Anyone that thinks Roullier played well should go watch the tape.  He wasn't terrible but got pushed back and gave up the middle easily.  The OL did improve as the game went on and had some good plays with improved protection.  Why they're starting so slow seems like motivation at this point.  No new OL injuries was the best news about them.

KC looks apprehensive and is starring down his targets.  He doesn't look comfortable and is once again playing apprehensive and without confidence.  Once he shakes that off and gets going, he makes some good throws and looks normal.  Seems like the reps he's gotten this year might help him get over his 'period' earlier this year then later.

Special Teams is ballin though.  After the first two pillow fights this game showed some urgency after they got behind so quickly.  I'd have to give them a satisfactory performance with the gameball going to the Special Teams Unit.  

At this point, I am inclined to believe 2 things:

1) Jay Gruden's Redskins start slow.

2) I believe we are dealing with issues of motivation.

We can debate why this is so & the varying levels of responsibility for it.  However, there was a clear difference in the intensity level that The Team brought 1st Quarter vs 2nd Quarter.  Why was this the case?

That, as I see it, is the crux of the issue here.

I am staring to think the importance of continuity of OL is overplayed by coaches. 

Sure, a guard doesn't want a turnstile of guys playing center, but he should also want to have the best guy next to him, not blindly the dude that has been there the longest.

Most failures I see are in 1 on 1 matchups, and on creative play calling from the defense, Triple stunt delay inside. The defense is simply going to win some times based on it's scheme. It's a chess match and someone always loses.

How about us manning up on that 4th and 1 late!!  Maybe that was Mr Crowley but that failure was good for a laugh.

13 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

How did Roullier play today?

Considering the circumstances he was playing under (being a 6th round pick as well as Long's injury suddenly thrusting him into a starting role), I think he played great.

There were obviously some rough edges to his game, but that is why he is a 6th round pick. Not to mention a rookie. He will get better and learn.

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I would like to see Gruden start off some games in the hurry up.  Try to minimize the time Cousins has to overthink things.  Start with some high ercentage throws to warm him up.  Added bonus if the defense gets tired - might help the run game get rolling which in turn can help the PA passing.  

Seems weird to type that as it's something I felt could be utilized to help Griffin at the time.  They're completely different players, but trying different things to help Cousins get into a groove earlier seems like a no brainer.  

I gotta believe this team and the o line will be ready for week one!  Trent Williams seemed uninterested to be out there yesterday.  I don't blame him, just trying to stay healthy.  But a rookie was putting it to him yesterday and that normally doesn't happen to the silver back gorilla!!!  He's a monster, he will be against the Iggles.  I hope......

23 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

I gotta believe this team and the o line will be ready for week one!  Trent Williams seemed uninterested to be out there yesterday.  I don't blame him, just trying to stay healthy.  But a rookie was putting it to him yesterday and that normally doesn't happen to the silver back gorilla!!!  He's a monster, he will be against the Iggles.  I hope......

Agreed.  Trent is someone I will give the benefit of the doubt to for preseason slip-ups.  Would be stunned if he doesn't show up and ball out come the Iggles game.

25 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Agreed.  Trent is someone I will give the benefit of the doubt to for preseason slip-ups.  Would be stunned if he doesn't show up and ball out come the Iggles game.

During the game yesterday, yes, I admit it was frustrating to watch.  But, I went to the game day thread here and it was nauseating how people were reacting.  Obviously, I want our beloved team to look flawless in every aspect, but it's not gonna happen.  Honestly, there will be rough moments in week one as well.  Guess I forgot the mojo around here if a mouse farts wrong.....

Probably gonna open up the positive thread 2.0 for this season, I can't take the over the top reactions, I would rather discuss what happened during a game good and bad with rational reactions and reflections.  

3 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

At this point, I am inclined to believe 2 things:

1) Jay Gruden's Redskins start slow.

2) I believe we are dealing with issues of motivation.

We can debate why this is so & the varying levels of responsibility for it.  However, there was a clear difference in the intensity level that The Team brought 1st Quarter vs 2nd Quarter.  Why was this the case?

That, as I see it, is the crux of the issue here.

That points at the coaching staff.  An example is the Special Teams have played hard and made plays from the onset. Everyone playing teams appear motivated.  The other part of the Offense being out of sync appears to be the QB and Play Calling. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I would like to see Gruden start off some games in the hurry up.  Try to minimize the time Cousins has to overthink things.  Start with some high ercentage throws to warm him up.  Added bonus if the defense gets tired - might help the run game get rolling which in turn can help the PA passing.  

Seems weird to type that as it's something I felt could be utilized to help Griffin at the time.  They're completely different players, but trying different things to help Cousins get into a groove earlier seems like a no brainer.  

I had similar thoughts about this.  They asked Gruden about the teams identity and he seems to insist on hammering a run first philosophy with an offense that's built around the passing game. Why not call a spade a spade?  There's no issue with passing to setup the run. However, it's pretty obvious to everyone watching that you're going to run first and second down (not just because you said so) because you line up in run formations.  Seems prime to start off the game with play action...everybody knows you're going to run, right?

Hoping the game plan reveals some this was their intention all along.  But I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Bigmuss1 said:

That's what you've got to hope for.  How much of this is the players not being motivated in pre-season??  Listen to the interviews and the same crap is being repeated up until after this third game..."It's just pre-season"..."we're working on it"..."got to fix that"...if you listen to Grudens conferences you'll hear he's been saying the same crap.  There's been no sense of urgency by the HC and it's who this team is right now. His play calling hasn't been worth a damn.  The offense isn't just starting slow.  The offense is out of sync, slow to play with energy, and basically looking unprepared to play at a level that can win NFL games. 

Archived