Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

14 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

While it does seem like our players are dropping like flies as pointed out in the other thread they all appear to be able to play again this week.  I was very encouraged by the play of Chase. They have simply got to find a way to get him into the starting lineup next week, hopefully at C and move Long to LG. 

It shouldn't take very long to see Chase on Sunday if he doesn't start outright.

Of the Redskins five starting offensive linemen, only one practiced on Thursday.

Not even limited practices.  And I think I heard Jay said Catalina had a concussion. Ty remains out.

It doesn't get much uglier for a Thursday. #CloneChase

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It shouldn't take very long to see Chase on Sunday if he doesn't start outright.

Of the Redskins five starting offensive linemen, only one practiced on Thursday.

Not even limited practices.  And I think I heard Jay said Catalina had a concussion. Ty remains out.

And the kool aid view is that Beating The Hated Rival will be so much sweeter under such dire circumstances!

9 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Not sure about that.  We see players not practicing on Thursday and then play on Sunday all the time.  I have no doubt the starting OL will be starting.  Regarding Chase this coaching staff has clearly been reluctant to make changes with underperforming players.  So the only way we see Chase anytime soon is if another is unable to play.

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure about that.  We see players not practicing on Thursday and then play on Sunday all the time.  I have no doubt the starting OL will be starting.  Regarding Chase this coaching staff has clearly been reluctant to make changes with underperforming players.  So the only way we see Chase anytime soon is if another is unable to play.

I don't think I've ever seen an entire unit, any unit, not practice and then play. And if the entire unit can't practice on Thursday, how effective can they all be on Sunday?

It's really bad when your backups are injured and that forces your starters to play.

If all of the starters play, and let's say Catalina and Ty are both out, what happens if halfway through the game, Moses gets his ankle turned again, and has to come out?  You're essentially out of guys.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I am somewhat surprised that they didn't call uncle earlier and bring up somebody from the PS just so that they have 6 or 7 linemen active. That would mean cutting somebody, but those are the types of things that you have to do

Good stuff @Voice_of_Reason

Even if all 4 start, Radar O'Reilly predicts one will be calling for a trainer by halftime.  Rain is forecast... not sure that will hurt or help anyone but it is what it is. Regardless, this could get ugly. Jay better have a plan ready if the big trees start falling, and it starts with dressing 4TE and every available OL.

Speculating a bit, Sprinkle at Guard. Reed at RT. Paul at Center. What I would do? Is see how Bellichek survived games with TEs playing OL. Dare I think it involves short passes and running the other way.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Regarding Chase this coaching staff has clearly been reluctant to make changes with underperforming players.  So the only way we see Chase anytime soon is if another is unable to play.

I saw a glimmer of potential change when Pryor sat last week.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Speculating a bit, Sprinkle at Guard. Reed at RT. Paul at Center. What I would do? Is see how Bellichek survived games with TEs playing OL. Dare I think it involves short passes and running the other way.

Reed at RT???  He doesn't block as a TE and you want him at RT???  Now, Sprinkle at OT I can see.  He can block and he's quite mobile for an OT (duh).  Maybe you put a  reserve DL in there at G and tell him not to grab?

15 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Reed at RT???  He doesn't block as a TE and you want him at RT???  Now, Sprinkle at OT I can see.  He can block and he's quite mobile for an OT (duh).  Maybe you put a  reserve DL in there at G and tell him not to grab?

Make no mistake. All of those are a disaster :ols:

Maybe Perine can line up at OL.

Please understand that I was joking when saying the 3 TEs can play OL. I am not sure any team has ever used more than 1, and am not sure the 1 has been done more than 5 times in the past 40 years. But using 1, is certainly an emergency situation that may well play out this weekend.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think I've ever seen an entire unit, any unit, not practice and then play. And if the entire unit can't practice on Thursday, how effective can they all be on Sunday?

It's really bad when your backups are injured and that forces your starters to play.

If all of the starters play, and let's say Catalina and Ty are both out, what happens if halfway through the game, Moses gets his ankle turned again, and has to come out?  You're essentially out of guys.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I am somewhat surprised that they didn't call uncle earlier and bring up somebody from the PS just so that they have 6 or 7 linemen active. That would mean cutting somebody, but those are the types of things that you have to do

I can't argue much  of this other than the claim that the entire unit is not practicing.  Aren't Long and the LG who will remain nameless practicing?  . Obviously without practicing they will be at a disadvantage.  But as I have said this staff is reluctant to pull starters.  And if a guy like Brandon Scherff can go after not practicing all week he will be starting. 

Guys that cannot do the friday walk through are often eventually ruled out, or at best are game time decisions.

With very few other options, most will have to play.  Long is out heh, who is the next least likely to play? I would guess Scherff

Trent Lauvao Chase Bergie Moses FTW

I miss the probable designation, which takes the guess work out of so much of this. Now. we are forced to pour through detailed injury reports.

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Even if all 4 start, Radar O'Reilly predicts one will be calling for a trainer by halftime.  Rain is forecast... not sure that will hurt or help anyone but it is what it is. Regardless, this could get ugly. Jay better have a plan ready if the big trees start falling, and it starts with dressing 4TE and every available OL.

You'd have no choice but to spend out, go shotgun and a ton of rollouts and short passes.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They have 2 OL on PS.  They probably need to activate both

the other guy is a guy who is very much not ready for the NFL from what I read  And they signed a guy named Tony Bergstrom who's a journeyman but has played some.

Archived