Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

North Carolina GOP censures Sen. Tillis for supporting LGBTQ+ rights, immigration policies

Republican delegates in North Carolina voted Saturday at their annual convention to censure Thom Tillis, the state’s senior U.S. senator, for backing LGBTQ+ rights, immigration and gun violence policies.

As Sen. Tillis has gained influence in Congress for his willingness to work across the aisle, his record of supporting some key policies has raised concerns among some state Republicans that the senator has strayed from conservative values.

Several delegates in Greensboro criticized Tillis, who has held his seat in the Senate since 2015, for his work last year on the Respect For Marriage Act, which enshrined protections for same-sex and interracial marriages in federal law.

Both the state and national GOP platforms oppose same-sex marriage. But Tillis, who had opposed it earlier in his political career, was among the early supporters of the law who lobbied his GOP colleagues in Congress to vote in favor of it.

Others criticized him for challenging former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies and for supporting a measure that provided funds for red flag laws, which allow state courts to authorize the temporary removal of firearms from people who they believe might pose a danger to themselves or others.

The North Carolina senator initially opposed Trump’s plan to use military construction dollars to build a wall along the nation’s southern border, but he eventually shifted his position.

Tillis spokesperson Daniel Keylin defended the senator’s voting record, writing in an email to The Associated Press that he “keeps his promises and delivers results.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

It's 20 years... picture on the left is from 2004 (I think.... give or take a year).  Quite frankly I find her so attractive in that one that my brain doesn't focus in the mess to the right.  

You have a point. But in this case, someone ought to file charges cause Father Time is straight up curb stomping that monstrosity.

HTTR!

• Haha 1

I wanted to boycott Home Depot a couple a few years ago after hearing that they gave money to Trump. However, in the line of work I'm in, doing that isn't really a viable option. Also, politicians brought money into politics, I can't really be mad at corporations doing what the law allows them to do.

There weren’t enough delegates remaining late Saturday afternoon to reach quorum, so their vote in support of the document is moot for now. But a Georgia GOP committee is expected to sign off on the platform soon. 

The six-page document calls on state lawmakers to abolish abortion completely, create a COVID-19 commission to review the state’s vaccine protocol and phase out Georgia’s state income tax. 

It also opposes attempts to remove or replace Confederate monuments and memorials or “deface or destroy” the engraving of Rebel leaders on Stone Mountain, the nation’s largest state-owned monument to the Confederate war dead.

• Haha 2

I had to look up who Benny Johnson is. He’s telling women about traditional work values and it looks as if he’s never had a “manly” job in his life. Shoot, this guy got fired from BuzzFeed for plagiarism. 

I guess he’s teaching women to put forth minimal effort and steal other women’s dinners in order to feed their husbands. Or maybe they just go to the store and buy Hungry Man frozen dinners and pass it off as if they’ve been slaving in the kitchen all day.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Is it all confessions or just for child molesting?

Depends on if they follow the rules they use for the Catholic church. They're pretty specific with what they allow, almost at the level of lawyers and therapists where they have to confess to future plans to do something illegal. Otherwise it might just be like, murder I think, that they can break confession to report?