Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1989?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1989?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1989?

• Batman
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Lethal Weapon 2
    • Look Who's Talking
    • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    • Back to the Future Part II
    • Driving Miss Daisy
    • Dead Poets Society
    • When Harry Met Sally...
    • The War of the Roses
    • Steel Magnolias
    • Christmas Vacation
    • Turner & Hooch
    • Born on the Fourth of July
    • Uncle Buck
    • Field of Dreams
    • Tango & Cash
    • Pet Sematary
    • The Abyss
    • Major League
    • Always
    • Lean on Me
    • Road House
    • Glory
    • Other

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Original Batman for $300 please, Alex.

Lean on Me, Glory, and Indy 3 were contenders for me as well.  It was a great year of films.  But, Batman was the **** in 1989.  I still have the trading cards.

Field of Dreams, Lean on Me, Dead Poet's Society.... all classics. And maybe not my personal favorite, but I'm sure Steel Magnolias is tops on some people's lists. *Glory too. 1989 is a solid year. 

Only one correct answer though:

514CH2DJ2RL._SY445_.jpg

People really liked BTTF 2?  I remember hating that movie as a kid.  Trying to watch it now is like giving my pupils a nice bath in Frank's hot sauce.  Terrible.

Last Crusade was awesome and would get my vote.  I really ****ing miss Indiana Jones.  Never had more fun at the movies than watching his crazy adventures. 

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holy crap, what a year!  Best one so far by a mile.  Uncle Buck, BTTF II, Road House, Last Crusade, Batman, Major League, Dead Poets, Turner and Hooch, Tango and Cash, and Driving Miss Daisy all = top five movies.  Naturally I voted for Uncle Buck.

Dead Poets Society is another movie that should be fighting for that top spot.  Fantastic film and a breakout performance for Robin Williams.

I couldn't stand Dead Poets Society. Contrived and schmaltzy. There, I said it.

6 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

So when are we going to get to "Favorite Troubadour of the 12th Century"? Cuz I have a doozy.................

There's a view that the first movies were actually cave paintings, seen by the flickering light of a fire.

I'm working on 'Best Paleolithic Cave Paintings'.

19 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Man, anyone says anything other than Lascaux and they're showing their ass..............

You say that ... but Chauvet and Altamira have their merits, especially in contrast to the showy decadence of the French at Lascaux.

18 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

So when are we going to get to "Favorite Troubadour of the 12th Century"? Cuz I have a doozy.................

When are we going to get a poll of the most honest Democratic presidential candidates?  Because we don't like the ones that lie.  There really arn't enough political threads anyway.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

BTTF and Major League are super strong.

Shoutout to Exorcist 3.  Its scurrrrrry!

I jumped out of my seat when the old lady decapitated the nurse in that single camera shot down the hall. 

32 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I couldn't stand Dead Poets Society. Contrived and schmaltzy. There, I said it.

Schmaltzy yeah.  But I disagree that it was contrived, I think the screenwriter was writing autobiography.  You can basically feel him working through midlife and reminiscing about how awesome he and his friends were at boarding school.  So It's a bit self important too.  But I like the movie anyway.  I like the portrayal of the study of poetry in the 50's.  It's a nice snapshot of a world that is all but gone.  I know depictions/romanticizations of that kind of world of privilege are not popular at all any more, but I still think its interesting.

Archived