Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State

TSO

Wonder what Su'a was thinking as he watched last night? If he watched.....Would be great to have him back and motivated along with the other parts of our young secondary. How great is it that these young corners and safeties get to learn from Josh Norman and DJ? That will pay dividends down the road. 

Its funny how, while this draft class was universally praised, this was the one pick that most people seemed to hate(myself included). He might end up being the best player out of the class(or 2nd after Allen). Funny how things work out. This is why grading drafts is absolutely absurd when the kids haven't even played a down yet.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:48 AM, Warhead36 said:

I don't have too much of a problem with this pick, just think we could have waited till round 5 or maybe even 6.

The talent is there though. Lets see if we can coach him up and if he can grow a pair.

I'm guessing he's got a bigger pair than most of us thought. :D

He's got size, speed and an engineering degree, lol.  

He looked the part last night - the range to challenge deep balls, stayed step for step with the receiver deep (and didn't get flagged), big shot to the receiver over the middle, and displayed some good tackling.  This doesn't feel the same as the excitement over  Chris Horton after his 2 pick game.  This dude can ball.  

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

What I don't get how did he get the reputation that he is soft.  This kid brings the wood and man does he cover ground.

Draft analysis BS on the part of vacuous knownothings that had never seen the kid play.  It pissed me off when guys dogged Montae in his welcome to the Skins thread.  I'm really pleased so see him come out guns blazing in his first two starts.  Attaboy Montae!

Molon labe!!

1 hour ago, HailSkins789 said:

He really reminded me of ST21, on that first pick. The speed, and athleticism on that play was insane. He's got great ball hawking skills, and with our corners playing so well, it allows him to gamble and take risks. Love our safety play. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing. That INT looked like a replay of one of Taylor's leaping interceptions that always shows up on his highlight reels..., I think his was against the Eagles. Also, keeping stride for stride with WRs. I worried this guy was a workout warrior rather than a player, and assumed he'd be a special teams standout, but little more. So far, he's looking like a first rate FS.

2 hours ago, HailSkins789 said:

He really reminded me of ST21, on that first pick. The speed, and athleticism on that play was insane. He's got great ball hawking skills, and with our corners playing so well, it allows him to gamble and take risks. Love our safety play. 

Whoa whoa whoa,, hang on now. Now its been a Redskin fan tradition since we lost him to compare any good play a safety has made to something he would do. I wanted to say it too but then I remember all the other safeties that had ST moments, Landry in the Seattle playoff game, Chris Horton 2 int game, that undrafted safety we had a couple seasons ago that had a couple of hits in college that looked like him who didn't even make the team.. 

I will say it did remind me of him though. But we will never find his replacement, there was no ST in Redskin history BEFORE he showed up. 

20 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Whoa whoa whoa,, hang on now. Now its been a Redskin fan tradition since we lost him to compare any good play a safety has made to something he would do. I wanted to say it too but then I remember all the other safeties that had ST moments, Landry in the Seattle playoff game, Chris Horton 2 int game, that undrafted safety we had a couple seasons ago that had a couple of hits in college that looked like him who didn't even make the team.. 

I will say it did remind me of him though. But we will never find his replacement, there was no ST in Redskin history BEFORE he showed up. 

Yea you're right. There will never be another ST, but the way he flew over there, man, I saw flashbacks in my head haha. It was great.

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I like that Monte can play FS and allow DJ to go to his more natural SS, closer to the LOS.  With Su'a, he played SS, while DJ had to play FS.

Manusky scheme doesn't have a FS/SS. Lots of good defense don't have them anymore now that the league is so pass heavy. Safeties have to be interchangeable to play both sides on the fly. Which, I think Swearinger and Nicholsan both can

It's a big reason why lots of teams have started using hybrid LBs in their schemes

Loved the way Montae covered Crabtree 1 on 1 deep also.  Hung right with Crabtree in perfect position on a deep route.  Montae brought the wood and delivered hits on breakups and he played centerfield and close fast and high to make a great pick that was a sharp punch in the mouth to Carr that set the tone for the entire game.  A really outstanding effort by Montae.  Lots of guys had good nights, none better than Montae Nicholson.

Overlooked play last night from Nicholson. After Lynch got dinged up and they brought in their young RB that had some speed. He got to the 2nd level of the D untouched and had a chance to possibly take it to the house. 

Swearinger and Nicholson were the last hope and Nicholson laid out to get the shoe string tackle. Minimized it to like a 10 yd gain rather than a 50+ yd TD run. I believe the score was still rather close and a big play TD for OAK could have turned the tides of the game in their favor. 

@ 3:56 in this vid it happens. 

Only 14-0. Could have been a 75 yd TD. 

2 hours ago, William Barbour said:

Manusky scheme doesn't have a FS/SS. Lots of good defense don't have them anymore now that the league is so pass heavy. Safeties have to be interchangeable to play both sides on the fly. Which, I think Swearinger and Nicholsan both can

It's a big reason why lots of teams have started using hybrid LBs in their schemes

Of course.  Depending on the defensive call, the safeties will play either high, low, deep or in an umbrella.  My observation was more along the lines of DJ does his best work closer to the LOS, while Montae thrives off the LOS.  I'm not sure Cravens would have been interchangeable.  Him being more of that hybrid (and being more of a LBer type) you talk about, he was more comfortable making plays at the LOS and was rarely put deep.  I don't really look at DJ or Montae as that Hybrid type.  I think they are the more traditional safety and I think that makes them better (as you said) to be interchangeable. I think that combo makes it possible for the scheme to do what it did last night as both can be trusted short and deep.

3 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

You old enough to remember Kenny Houston?

Hail Em Up!

3 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Baccari Rambo

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Overlooked play last night from Nicholson. After Lynch got dinged up and they brought in their young RB that had some speed. He got to the 2nd level of the D untouched and had a chance to possibly take it to the house. 

Swearinger and Nicholson were the last hope and Nicholson laid out to get the shoe string tackle. Minimized it to like a 10 yd gain rather than a 50+ yd TD run. I believe the score was still rather close and a big play TD for OAK could have turned the tides of the game in their favor. 

Thanks for this but where is the Docston big TD?

Hail Em Up!

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its funny how, while this draft class was universally praised, this was the one pick that most people seemed to hate(myself included). He might end up being the best player out of the class(or 2nd after Allen). Funny how things work out. This is why grading drafts is absolutely absurd when the kids haven't even played a down yet.

Yeah I made the same comment a week or so ago.  Nicholson was literally the only pick I did not like. This is why I post on message boards and do not scout talent. 

We brought in Shamarko Thomas for a look today. Did a safety get hurt last night, or are we just doing our due diligence and he's the only name "big" enough to be worth reporting? He was always overrated coming out but he's got some Swearinger to his game. 

Archived