Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State

TSO

Welcome to the Skins, you're our first truly controversial pick so go ahead and prove everyone wrong, mmmkay? :) 

Photo of Montae Nicholson

GRADE
  • 4.42 SEC 40
  • 125.0 INCH Broad Jump
  •  
BLUE =  TOP PERFORMER
  •  
  • 6'2"HEIGHT
  • 33 3/8"ARM LENGTH
  • 212LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9 1/2"HANDS
  •  

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/montae-nicholson?id=2558133

OVERVIEW

The Spartans' poor 2016 season caused Nicholson's play to be overshadowed by Ohio State and Michigan defensive backs. NFL scouts know, however, that Nicholson's athleticism and aggression make him a potential starter. He was an all-state football player and three-time track champion as a high school senior in Pennsylvania, then stepped into the starting lineup as a true freshman (three starts, 31 tackles). Nicholson tied for the team lead with three picks in 2015, making 83 stops, 2.5 for loss and helping MSU make the college football playoffs. He also participated on the track squad, placing sixth in the Big Ten Indoor meet in the long jump. As a junior, he made 86 tackles, two for loss, and intercepted one pass.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Height, weight and speed box checks across the board. Has a feel for route combinations and shades his coverage accordingly. Shows a willingness to trigger into anticipated passing lanes once he recognizes where pattern is headed. Long strider with some range over the top. Michigan State coaches expect him to test well in explosion drills. Takes few false steps and looks more comfortable in a Cover-2 shell.

WEAKNESSES

Field toughness does not match his size. Ducks head into tackles and doesn't consistently square up his targets causing excessive missed tackles. Rarely imposes his will as a hitter. Leggy in coverage. Takes time to get hips and feet synced up when asked to mirror route breaks. Has had self-described confidence issues. Looks unsure of his responsibilities at times and will lose track of deep coverage. Just eight passes defensed over last two seasons which is a meager sum.

SOURCES TELL US

"Big and beautiful with no impact on the game whatsoever. He just doesn't have the aggressiveness you need to play this game on this level." -- AFC national scout

BOTTOM LINE

Nicholson has outstanding size and could test well at the combine and his pro day, but his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that. Nicholson's lack of playmaking production combined with his unsure tackling make him a traits-only prospect who could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression.

-Lance Zierlein

28 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I can see Allen and Anderson having a chat with him about his toughness.

^^ I like that.............. with any luck they might be chattin with several young men wearin the B&G

4 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I can see Allen and Anderson having a chat with him about his toughness.

Whats really cool about this, is we're taking two leaders who know each other at the top of the class. They can really come right in with a full head of steam and take control.

1 hour ago, Redskins Reparations said:

No...That would be Josh Harvey-Clemons.

Actually it could be either. Josh is taller but that's about it besides 3 lbs. This is a Scott pick I assume judging by the odd place he was drafted so that's what made me think of Chancellor. Hopefully one of these two players stick. 

5 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Actually it could be either. Josh is taller but that's about it besides 3 lbs. This is a Scott pick I assume judging by the odd place he was drafted so that's what made me think of Chancellor. Hopefully one of these two players stick. 

Just being a smart ass. I will take two Cam Chancellor's :cheers:

2 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Welcome, but you better end this little tea party and pull up your skirt. Aint no room for shook ones on this squad. Screw your b-lls on and get ready for war. 

download.jpg.91b5238eeae4b3c06deafb001636ae38.jpg

'At MSU we trained to play football, not run drills'. He still killed the drills which is why he even made some teams radar. 

Kid from Pitt with football instincts, I drafted him in ES Mock. Watch some film on him, can get to a ball quick and I see him as a sure ST depth guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he opened some eyes at camp. Love true ballers from MSU, they got the little brother chip on their shoulder mentality with UM, OSU.

Mark me as loving this pick FWIW

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't have too much of a problem with this pick, just think we could have waited till round 5 or maybe even 6.

The talent is there though. Lets see if we can coach him up and if he can grow a pair.

Coaching is one thing, growing a pair is another. You have it or you don't. He doesn't

Should have taken this guy http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/d.j.-jones?id=2558265

I have reservations about this guy (and I certainly felt like they reached on him), but I do believe that confidence and toughness can be picked up... to an extent.  Confidence from coaches and learning, toughness from playing around teammates like Anderson.  Have a hunch that just getting his head up tackling will help a good bit.  

Wish him the best.  

Archived