Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State

TSO

11 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Montae started today and knocked an Ram receiver out of the game with a hard tackle.   I thought all you draft wizards told us Montae was soft?  Anyone care to admend your remarks.

I don't know how this Montae is going to do with the Skins but his hit today is more evidence the draft wizards on this board don't know squat.

So you are going to judge peoples abilities to pick draft's based on one play in a game? Go watch his full tape then give us your opinion. Ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

So you are going to judge peoples abilities to pick draft's based on one play in a game? Go watch his full tape then give us your opinion. Ridiculous.

Full tape from college or from the Rams game?

What he does now is way more important than his tape from Michigan State.

I agree with your sentiment but also with the sentiment that people were way too harsh on the Nicholson pick. Dude has looked the part since stepping on the field late in training camp. I think hes the future at one of the Safety spots and would be a steal if he is.

I thought Nicholson was just a height/weight/speed (athlete) guy when we drafted him, but when I learned about our DB's coach history with him, back to recruiting, I thought he would be a good project for Torrian Gray. So far, it seems like Gray is doing a great job with his group.

1 hour ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I agree with your sentiment but also with the sentiment that people were way too harsh on the Nicholson pick. Dude has looked the part since stepping on the field late in training camp. I think hes the future at one of the Safety spots and would be a steal if he is.

Dude, I thought he did well yesterday, too, but Nick Foles also holds the record for most touchdowns in a single game.  Does that make him GOAT?

It was ONE game.  Hopefully this is just a taste of who he is and it was one of many, many, many excellent games, but as of yesterday it was ONE game.

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Wasn't he the guy that missed the tackle on the fake punt?

He also sprained the AC joint in his shoulder during the game.  Hopefully it's not too serious.  We had a LOT of dudes nicked up in the game yesterday. 

No, Nicholson is #35.  It was Moreau #31 who missed the tackle on the fake punt.

Glad to see the young guys getting burn and contributing. They need to flash, but we can also expect some mistakes. Yesterday's defense was solid and he made some plays. Good start. Like others have said, I hope his injury is minor. It's a thin position on this team.

15 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Montae started today and knocked an Ram receiver out of the game with a hard tackle.   I thought all you draft wizards told us Montae was soft?  Anyone care to admend your remarks.

I don't know how this Montae is going to do with the Skins but his hit today is more evidence the draft wizards on this board don't know squat.

By that logic this cameraman should be a starting NFL middle linebacker:

On 9/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, DC Lumber Co. said:

I really hope that Nicholson ends up being a star for us for the next decade.

That being said I think its really foolish to write "What he does now is way more important than his tape from Michigan State" as if 2 games actually mean anything in the NFL.  Were you around for the RG3 time?  It lasted a whole season. What he does for the next 2 seasons is way more important than a few plays in 2 games.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:39 PM, Veryoldschool said:

No, Nicholson is #35.  It was Moreau #31 who missed the tackle on the fake punt.

True, but the punt was in reality just bad coaching.  He already had the first down.  It boggles my mind how the ST coach doesnt have his wide men playing the gunners tight when the Rams had JUST tried a fake punt and then reverted back.  Stupid, stupid coaching.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:39 PM, Veryoldschool said:

True, but the punt was in reality just bad coaching.  He already had the first down.  It boggles my mind how the ST coach doesnt have his wide men playing the gunners tight when the Rams had JUST tried a fake punt and then reverted back.  Stupid, stupid coaching.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:35 AM, DC Lumber Co. said:

I loved this pick on draft night.  I remember the consensus on the board was that we could have got him later.  Fair enough assessment. 

However his talent is there he just needs to be coached, the coaches get paid for a reason. If I was a coach I would like to have 11 all pros on my side of the ball. (DC FOR EXAMPLE) not going to happen.  Take a player with raw tools and teach. I stated on draft night talent cannot be coached but all other aspects can be refined by good teaching and providing confidence and discipline when needed. 

He has all the tools, great pedigree from college,and I simply like the player.

Memo to coaches.  It's called coaching for a reason.  

Let us us all be patient and prudent with players.  Let us work, not be entitled to have every draft be great from the get go.  Let's roll up our sleeves and work with young men and help mold them into great people and players.  Ex 1.0. J. Doctson. Let's us not give up.  Injurie s notwithstanding we have to find a way. 

God if I love this team. 

On 9/19/2017 at 9:31 PM, Peregrine said:

I really hope that Nicholson ends up being a star for us for the next decade.

That being said I think its really foolish to write "What he does now is way more important than his tape from Michigan State" as if 2 games actually mean anything in the NFL.  Were you around for the RG3 time?  It lasted a whole season. What he does for the next 2 seasons is way more important than a few plays in 2 games.

A players college tape means nothing once they step into the building in the pros. Yes one year wonders happen, RG3 is a great example indeed...but my point about his tape from Mich St being meaningless still stands.

The fact he is even being trusted to be given reps in a regular season game this early in the season as a 4th round pick after getting a late start in training camp speaks volumes about what the coaching staff thinks of him. There are more plays that happen in practice that we dont see as fans that led up to him getting playing time. He isnt going to have 5 tackles 2 picks and a forced fumble his first outing... Not sure what youre getting at here.

Yes the next 2 years will give us an idea of what he truly becomes as a pro player. Are we not allowed to acknowledge his progress until we have 2 full years worth of NFL film to judge him on or something?

He has played well the past 2 games. Hes playing with the first team defensive unit. He made a bone-jarring hit after showcasing his closing speed. I like what im seeing so far. If he is able to soften the blow of losing Su'a Cravens I will be very happy. Hes certainly more of a prototypical safety from a height/weight/speed standpoint than Cravens ever was.

Obviously what a player did in College doesn't really matter once they get into the league.  Plenty of good College players flame out, and plenty of UDFAs wind up long term starters.  With that said, until we have enough info on how a player plays in the league, it doesn't hurt to factor in their play in College.  Of course, by that I don't mean their statistics, but rather their athleticism, football acumen, etc. 

Heck, I think we all do it reflexively.  We expect Anderson to be able to set the edge, Doctson to win jump balls, Perine to truck people.  We expect early rounders to contribute early, and late rounders to need seasoning, etc.  

37 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Obviously what a player did in College doesn't really matter once they get into the league.  Plenty of good College players flame out, and plenty of UDFAs wind up long term starters.  With that said, until we have enough info on how a player plays in the league, it doesn't hurt to factor in their play in College.  Of course, by that I don't mean their statistics, but rather their athleticism, football acumen, etc. 

Heck, I think we all do it reflexively.  We expect Anderson to be able to set the edge, Doctson to win jump balls, Perine to truck people.  We expect early rounders to contribute early, and late rounders to need seasoning, etc.  

By that logic we should be even more excited about Nicholson if we arent talking stats. The kid is the human form of a prototype safety you draw up on paper.

He flashed closing speed and hard hits in college. The Redskins would be deserving of major scouting kudos if they were higher on Montae than most due to them knowing it was a matter of coaching for the kid to put it all together.

I think we knew from day one he seemed like a boom or bust guy, and with how early hes seeing the field, all signs point upward.

@DC Lumber Co.

Yeah, I couldn't say... I mean, yes, he has the measurables, but I believe I only watched one game so I don't have much input there.  

I loved the PBU he was in on with Moreau in preseason and the closing speed and hit he put on vs the Rams.  A little concerning that he injured himself on that play, but I'm not reading into it... **** happens.  Such a small sample size, but (mostly due to the measurables) the promise is higher than the retreads and rookies we've trotted out for a while now.  As someone mentioned, that part of him gives more upside than Cravens.  Now we'll have to see how his instincts match up.  

Not writing Everett off either, but the shiny new toy is... well, pretty shiny, lol.  

Archived