Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

• 2 weeks later...

So here is the 2017 Cleveland Browns draft!

Traded pick #1 in round 1 and pick #188 in round 6 to the Cowboys for pick #28 in round 1, pick #92 in round 3; Dallas' 2018 1st and 2nd rnd Picks, and Dallas' 2019 1st rnd Pick.

So this set the foundation of how I was planning to start my draft.  Cleveland had 2 first rounders in a draft that didn't have IMO surefire QB prospects.  To rectify that I wanted to find a way to recreate that situation until a better opportunity arose to get my franchise signal caller.  Enter the delusional Cowboys.  They were willing to mortgage their future and I was willing to use their future to secure my own.  It was rough giving up Garrett; I like him, but I felt the offer to improve my chance at an elite QB prospect next year, or even the year after was an acceptable course of action.  This trade gave me 2 1st rounders the next two years and 6 picks in the first 2 rounds next year.  Depending on how many of the top QBs come out next year and how the Browns finish, they will either be in position to grab one or trade up as high as they'd like to take the #1.

1/12 - TACO CHARLTON, DL, Michigan

With the hire of Gregg Williams as DC, (you may have heard of him), I felt that building up the defensive side of the team was a priority.  Gregg is more of a 4-3 guy and the Browns were a 3-4 last year so it made sense to determine what pieces fit and what didn't.  Also needed to determine what bodies to bring in.  Honestly, there was a lot of need with this pick which required me to take him a little higher than I would have liked because I didn't expect him to last until #28.  Obviously switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 meant needing more big uglies up front.  I figured Charlton was the highest upside on the board at the time and if Gregg gets his hands on him can motivate him to maximize his immense talent.  He'll come in and thrive at DE.

1/28 - GAREON CONLEY, CB, Ohio St

With our second 1st rounder, I wanted to keep on the defensive side.  The Browns pass defense was horrendous last year.  So what better way to shore that up but by grabbing one of the top CBs in the draft in Conley.  There are even some rumors he may be THE top CB in the draft.  He's a SPARQ guy, lot of top level experience and a sound technician.  Only real knock is he may not be the most physical guy, and I think that again is something that a Gregg Williams can get out of a guy.  Pairing him with Joe Haden will allow him to develop and eventually take over as an elite cover corner in the near future.

2/33 - EVAN ENGRAM, TE/WR, Ole Miss

Time to look on the other side of the ball.  With the loss of Pryor to the Redskins, the Browns lost a big weapon.  Enter Engram.  Engram is another SPARQ freak and out Jordan Reed's Jordan Reed.  Strong character, elite skills, high level production, this guy if used correctly will be a beast.  Not sure Cody Kessler is the QB to unleash that beast but baby steps people. 

2/52 - MARCUS WILLIAMS, S, Utah

Back to defense, because it really was bad.  Part of the reason Cleveland's pass defense dropped off was because they lost their safeties TJ Ward and Tashaun Gipson.  Williams is part of correcting that.  This guy is a ballhawking single high safety with consistent high level production.  Again, big SPARQ guy.  I wanted to improve the Browns' athleticism while I was improving their talent.  I wanted to build a defense you didn't want to pass against and this was another big step towards that.

3/65 - CARL LAWSON, EDGE, Auburn

This was a value pick, as Lawson fell right in my lap and I couldn't let him pass by.  Tenacious edge rusher with some injury concerns but you can't argue with, again, high level productivity.  This guy terrorized SEC passers and I am putting him out there with Charlton, Collins, Ogbah, Nassib to pressure QBs into throwing the ball up into my ballhawking secondary.  One of my steals.

Traded pick #92 in round 3, picks #175 and #181 in round 5 and pick #185 in round 6 to the Bills for pick #75 in round 3.

This was a good place to start looking at using my horde of draft picks to target specific guys if I could swing good value trades.  I had specific positions in mind and I pulled the trigger to fill another one here.

3/75 - JOURDAN LEWIS, Nickel, Michigan

Depending on how his domestic abuse case shakes out, this could be very good or a complete waste.  Based on the information I was able to find I felt the margin lay a little closer to the very good side.  Jourdan Lewis has been an exceptional cover corner with the only knock being his size.  But his size hasn't prevented him from excelling at the highest level of college football.  This guy could be the best nickel corner prospect of the draft and Gregg loves him some 4-2-5 defense formations.  This guy will have a chip on his shoulder and Gregg can maximize those types of players. 

4/108 - DAVIS WEBB, QB, Cal

I went back and forth here between Davis Webb and his WR, Chad Hansen.  As I mentioned above, I resigned myself to leaving this draft with no QBs because I liked next year's options better.  Grabbing a QB when you are looking to grab a better one a year later doesn't seem like a sound use of resources.  But Davis Webb fell to me and after some more research and study, I felt that swinging on a QB here might be the best course of action.  This guy has some tools to work with and by every account I read seems like a great leader.  Film nut.  Someone to take a chance on in the 4th.  Maybe he develops under Hue enough that I don't need to bother trading up for a QB next year after all.  He's been moving up the draft boards pretty steadily.

Traded pick #145 in round 5 to the Bills for pick #171 and pick #175 in round 5.

So it was about here that I noticed that a lot of talent was still falling and I wanted to take advantage of that.  In order to do that I needed more picks so this trade allowed me to get more picks.

5/171 - VINCE BIEGEL, LB, Wisconsin

This guy was overshadowed by TJ Watt this past year and Joe Schobert before that.  But this guy was a monster in his own right.  He will surprise a lot of people.  Another guy I felt was a steal.  Will work very well with Collins and Kirksey at LB, and definitely a Gregg Williams guy.

5/175 - TEDRIC THOMPSON, S, Colorado

Remember me saying the Browns pass defense was bad?  Remember me wanting to fix it?  This was another piece towards that end.  I'd have liked to have grabbed a more "strong" safety (I was hoping Josh Jones would fall to me at the top of the 4th) but instead I doubled down on a cover safety.  Rely on Gregg to toughen him up, rely on the pass rush to get this ballhawking defense some turnovers.  rinse, repeat.

7/248  - CHASE ROULLIER, C, Wyoming

I saw Chase falling and felt I wanted to buy on him.  May not have the measurable, but I really liked his play and what I read about him.

I tried to maximize value while setting the Browns up very well for a QB (or another position if Webb blossoms) next year. There's a chance that Dallas' picks might be lower in the first but I'd argue it's possible they also take a turn for the worse with Elliot walking the lines of a possible suspension, Dak regressing after teams have a full year of film and preparation, their defense losing pieces and poor salary cap management to replace them.

Provided all my picks make the team and become contributors (always a big ?) here's how I see the Browns after my draft:

QB - Kessler, WEBB, Osweiler
RB - Crowell, Johnson
WR - Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Louis
TE - Barnidge, ENGRAM
T - Thomas, Erving
G - Bitonio, Zeitler
C - Tretter, ROULLIER

On defense, assuming Gregg Williams looks to start the process of moving towards a 4-3...

DE - CHARLTON, Ogbah, Nassib
DT - Shelton, Wright
LB - Collins, Kirksey, LAWSON, BIEGEL
CB - Haden, CONLEY, Taylor, Boddy-Calhoun
NB - LEWIS
S - WILLIAMS, THOMPSON, Campbell, Reynolds

I just came in to check on how my picks have managed so far and noticed this never got posted so you get it now.

All of my picks made their teams with Vince Biegel on IR I believe.

• 3 months later...

Giants ES Mock Draft History:

2016:
1 Rd Pick 10) RONNIE STANLEY, OT, Notre Dame (Stud)
2 Rd Pick 40) HUNTER HENRY, TE, Arkansas (Stud)
3 Rd Pick 71) WILL REDMOND, CB, Mississippi St (Dud)
4 Rd Pick 109) DEANDRE HOUSTON-CARSON, S, William & Mary (Dud)
5 Rd Pick 149) DADI LHOMME NICOLAS, LB, Virginia Tech (Dud)
6 Rd Pick 184) GERONIMO ALLISON, WR, Illinois (Stud)

2017:
1 Rd Pick 23) ZACH CUNNINGHAM, LB, Vanderbilt (Stud)
2 Rd Pick 55) D'ONTA FOREMAN, RB, Texas (Stud/Injured)
3 Rd Pick 74) DEMARCUS WALKER, DE/DT, Florida State (Dud)
5 Rd Pick 167) JAVARIUS LEAMON, OT, South Carolina State (Dud)
6 Rd Pick 194) CHARLES WALKER, DT, Oklahoma (Dud)
6 Rd Pick 207) ROBERT DAVIS, WR, Georgia State (Dud)
7 Rd Pick 240) SEAN CULKIN, TE, Missouri (Dud)

Not a good draft history...but still excited to scout and draft the 2018 class!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look I back at my draft I did mehw. I knew that I wanted to draft depth and role players for the Patriots. I kinda did that. Outside of Devonte Fields (now in Canada) everyone made an NFL roster. Half of the guys had decent back-up stats like Jonnu Smith and Gaslow.  Ofcourse my big price comes in 2018 when Sidney Jones is back healthy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all are an impatient bunch! Geez! 

If Epoch doesn't want Comish duties back (PLEASE take them back you Draft King you! I'm not sure I can take the mental exhaustion of another year of this!), I'll get onto this the next week or so with PM's to see who's returning. We normally draft a month prior to the actual draft, which this year is April 26. So a month before then for everyone to prepare (bar our French friend from Jacksonville who patently just closes his eyes and sticks a pin into a host of prospects every year) should see us right. 

On 31/01/2018 at 10:22 AM, bedlamVR said:

I wanna play ... it was the highlight of my football season last year x 

Naturally. We're Redskins fans. Not like we've any actual football to look forward to .....

Hail. 

I'm in again. 

Previous drafts:

1 Marcus Mariota QB Oregon - playing Titans
84 Tre McBride WR William & Mary - playing Bears (bust, only 8 receptions in 2017)
91 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio State - playing Broncos
97 John Miller G Louisville - playing Bills
98 Justin Hardy WR Louisville - playing Falcons
102 Za’Darius Smith OLB Kentucky - playing Ravens
120 Josue Matias, OG Florida State 2017 waived Titans
132 Jacoby Glenn CB    UCF - IR Chiefs
143 Clayton Geathers S UCF - playing Colts
149 Ramik Wilson ILB Georgia - playing Chiefs
150 Kurtis Drummond S Michigan State - playing Texans
191 Terry Poole OT San Diego State - waived, failed physical 2017
240 Miles Dieffenbach OG Penn State - Steelers? 
275 Devante Davis WR UNLV - cut 2015

10/14 playing or IR, 71.4% - okay

Round 1, 8 - Carson Wentz, QB - NDSU - IR Eagles
Round 3, 77 - Shon Coleman, OT - Auburn - playing Browns
Round 3, 79 - Devontae Booker, RB - Utah - playing Broncos
Round 4, 100 - Maurice Canady, CB - Virginia - playing Ravens
Round 5, 153 - Jordan Payton, WR - UCLA - Cut Browns
Round 5, 164 - Jason Fanaika, DE - Utah - Out 
Round 6, 188 - De'Vondre Campbell, LB - playing Falcons
Round 7, 233 - Luther Maddy, DT - Virginia Tech - out
Round 7, 251 - Aziz ****tu, DE Stanford - Eagles ps?

5/9 playing or IR, 55.5% - not so hot

1. Quincy Wilson, CB out of Florida - playing Colts
2. Cooper Kupp, WR E Washington - playing Rams
3. Cameron Sutton, CB Tennessee - playing Steelers
4. Alex Anzalone, OLB Florida - Saints IR
   Jeremy McNichols, RB    Boise State - playing 49ers
   Elijah Qualls, DL    Washington - playing Eagles
5. Travis Rudolph, WR    Florida St - playing Giants    
7. Matt Milano, OLB Boston College - playing Bills
   Jadar Johnson, S Clemson - Giants, retired before playing

8/9 playing or IR, 88.8% - very good

On 20/02/2018 at 10:36 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If Epoch doesn't want Comish duties back (PLEASE take them back you Draft King you! I'm not sure I can take the mental exhaustion of another year of this!), I'll get onto this the next week or so with PM's to see who's returning.

I believe I'll already have too much on my plate to take care of this this year. And probably for the years to come as well.

So the Jaguars are most likely open to any one that wants them. 

And well, they started winning this year, so they aren't much fun to do anymore :P

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I believe I'll already have too much on my plate to take care of this this year. And probably for the years to come as well.

So the Jaguars are most likely open to any one that wants them. 

And well, they started winning this year, so they aren't much fun to do anymore :P

Damn good job your drafts don't roll over or pity whoever takes on the Jags gig. 

Not even the combined football genius of a reincarnated Bill Walsh and Bobby B could sort out THAT carnage you've left behind! ;)

Hail. 

On 31/01/2018 at 2:52 AM, DogofWar1 said:

I liked GHH's post as a "hint hint" but I guess I'll state officially I'm down.

Down?!!!!! TBF, your Bengals/ Saints can't get much lower than what we've seen the past three drafts. :P

Hail. 

*Edit* 

Oh yeah. Hibernation's now over. All gloves are now officially off! Let the **** talking begin. It's draft season again fella's! 

Archived