Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

My draft. And I am not counting Brantley because he is an idiot:

Brantley: My pick 42- Actual pick: Idiot status 185 (-143) Nice thanks Brantley!

Tankersley: My pick 63- Actual pick 97 (-34)

Mcmillan: My pick 81-Actual pick 54 (+27)

Pocic: My pick 95-Actual pick 58 (+37)

Wheeler: My pick 174-Actual Pick Undrafted  (-79)

Saubert: My Pick 201-Actual Pick 174  (+27) 

Gibson: My Pick 249- Actual pick 166  (+83)

Im at +88 i believe with only Roullier to go and even if he doesnt get drafted he was at 248 so can only lose 6.

If i had gone with my top udfa Chesson instead...:chair:

Of course whats important is whether they can actually play, but draft comparison is all we have right now.

7/248 - CHASE ROULLIER, C/G, Wyoming - went 6/199 to the WASHINGTON REDSKINS......+49

That puts me at +137.

And that's with 10 picks this draft.

And I picked up a 2018 1st, a 2019 1st, and a 2018 2nd while losing a 2018 6th.

I'll have to do a summary in a day or two but it still sucks i cant root for 4 of them...

Good job guys.

Waiting for the end of the draft, but Torgersen and Ugokwe are going undrafted I believe.

So to the recap:

1 - Malik Hooker -11

2 - Jarrad Davis +14

3 - Pat Elflein -2

4 - Sam Rogers -58

5 - Jeremy Sprinkle +33

6 - Jerry Ugokwe - 32

7 - Alek Torgersen -14

Total: -70.

I expected to have reached for Sam Rogers and didn't really expected Hooker to fall to 15... My last two picks were devolpmental projects. No big surprise to me.

Way better than last year anyway!

Phew! Matt Dayes got picked second to last, I was sweatin' there for a bit. 

For the 1st time in 3 years I picked the same player as the Chargers (Desmond King), funny cause this is the 1st draft of theirs I've liked during that time.

Sean Harlow went two rounds earlier than I drafted him. I'll have a full write up in a couple of days- I need a break- I'm all drafted out!

Many thanks to GHH for his stewardship this year, and Epoch for founding this thing (although he did nab several of my targets this year)

And good luck and good health to all my fellow armchair GM's and your fresh stable of horses to keep track of, this was fun! 

For Saints:

Marlon Humphrey - CB - ES 11 (1st round) - IRL 16 (1st)  (-5)

That run on offensive players knocked him down a slot, but he was still in the same range.

Charles Harris - DE/OLB - ES 32 (1st) - IRL 22 (1st)  (+10)

Similar range, same round.

Teez Tabor - CB - ES 41 (2nd) - IRL 53 (2nd) (-12)

Similar range, same round.

Marcus Maye - S - ES 76 (3rd) - IRL 39 (2nd) (+37)

First real "steal" for me, I do wonder if he was drafted a little early by the Jets, but nonetheless he'd probably have gone before I took him.

Brad Kaaya - QB - ES 130 (4th) - IRL 215 (6th) (-85)

First real "reach" for me.  I'm surprised he fell like he did, but I also get why.  He's a stringy kid who needs to add at least 10 pounds of meat on his bones, so if you're not in the market to develop a guy in a big way, you probably pass.

Zach Banner - OT/OG - ES 169 (5th) - IRL 137 (4th) (+32)

Another "steal" I'm not surprised Colts took him in the 4th.  He probably will need to switch inside for the long term, but if he doesn't make it as a RT, he can probably become an OG starter pretty quickly.

Josh Carraway - OLB/DE - ES 229 (7th) - IRL 227 (7th) (+2)

Almost right on the money.

So total score of -21.  All things considered, not too shabby, and only 3 picks off by more than half a round, and two of them in the right direction.  Further, everyone got drafted, so no UDFAs needing to be picked up.  Kaaya was the only real "reach" I drafted.

Now onto positional comparison me-Saints vs. IRL-Saints:

me-Saints: 1st/11 - CB, 1st/32 - DE/OLB, 2nd/41 - CB, 3rd/76 - S, 4th/130 - QB, 5th/169 - OT/OG, 7th/229 - DE/OLB

IRL-Saints: 1st/11 - CB, 1st/32 - OT, 2nd/41 - S, 3rd/67 - RB, 3rd/76 - ILB, 3rd/103 - DE, 6/196 - DE

Pos.:  ME / IRL

CB - 2 / 1

DE - 2 / 2

S - 1 / 1

QB - 1 / 0

OT - 1 / 1

RB - 0 / 1

ILB - 0 / 1

Offense - 2 / 2

Defense - 5 / 5

I went a little more secondary heavy, but not by much, 3 DBs to 2.  I also drafted a QB when the Saints did not, though I don't feel to badly about it considering the reports they would have taken Patrick Mahomes II at 11 if he was there.  Clearly there was digging going on (though them passing on Kaaya makes me look worse, but they also lacked a 4th or 5th like I maneuvered to have).

Overall, it looks like they shifted one of my CB picks into an ILB, and my QB pick into an RB.  We both had 2 offensive and 5 defensive picks, so that was pretty darn close.

A few more notes:

- IRL Saints got Ramczyk at 32, whereas he went 17 here.  If Ramczyk was around at 32 in ours, highly likely I'd have grabbed him.

- Difference of opinion between me and IRL Saints GM becomes apparent looking at 2nd round.  Tabor went later IRL than my pick of him, and Marcus Williams was available in our draft.  I had an early 3rd grade on Williams so he was never heavily under consideration for me.

- Saints making a move for Kamara was a big deal.  Kamara, like Ramczyk, was long gone in our draft by the 3rd (picked at 54 by Miami in ours).  Again, like with Ramczyk, if he'd been around, probably would have taken him, had a 2nd round grade on him.  Indeed, RBs not falling to me was key reason I didn't draft one.  I'm not surprised Saints traded up to get one, but I couldn't really expect it sufficiently that I would have done it myself.

- ILB kinda outta nowhere.  Did not see that coming.  Another pick where our differences are apparent.

- Shuffled around where we got them, but clearly we had a meeting of the minds on DE.  Got 2 each.

After a good start my draft went a little south:

Corey Davis WR - ES Rd 1 16 overall - NFL Rd 1 overall 5 --> +11

Was surprised he dropped to me in the ES draft. I didn't; think top 5 but I was sure he would not make it out of the top 10. I will say that rumors were that Baltimore wanted Corey Davis and would have taken him if he dropped to them.

Garrett Bolles OT - ES Rd 2 overall 47 - NFL Rd 1 overall 20 --> + 27

I got a steal in the middle of the second rd. He will be a very good player. I have a soft spot for guys who started out rough in life but then turn it around. I am really rooting for him.

Tarell Basham DE - ES Rd 3 overall 78 - NFL Rd 3 overall 80 --> -2

Almost nailed him exactly. 2 Spots off is pretty close.

Isaac Isiata OG - ES Rd 3 overall 99 - NFL Rd 5 overall 164 --> -65

Surprised he was taken so late. Clearly I was more impressed with him than the experts... 

Wayne Gallman Rb - ES Rd 4 overall 122 - NFL Rd 4 overall 140 --> -18

Considering the round, didn't miss him by much. Same round just a little later. I believe he was overlooked because of all the attention to Watson and Williams. He will help the Giants. I hate he went to them.

Tyler Olosky C - ES Rd 5 overall 159 - NFL Undrafted

This is a bit of a surprise. I had him a late 3rd early 4th rd pick. Clearly I was wrong. CBS listed him as the top undrafted player. He signed an UDFA with Philly. Really hope I was wrong and he sucks! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-nfl-draft-tyler-orlosky-headlines-the-10-best-undrafted-players/

Conner Harris - ES Rd 6 overall 186 - NFL Undrafted - UDFA signed by NY Jets

Knew this was a long shot. D 2 school players don't get much look. But I really think this guy will surprise people. II almost trade back as I think I could have had him later. But was not interested in a 2018 pick as compensation. Left options limited.

As always, a really fun exercise. Really appreciate @Gibbs Hog Heaven efforts to keep this going. And to all the GMs - great job, excellent participation. All 32 teams had a separate GM still engaged at the end of the draft! Already looking forward to next year!

Now let's win some Redskins games and see if they can make a playoff push!

Alright, here's the +/- comparison for our draft to the real one. The higher the number, the better.:

+/- Comparison Total

Team Rank Average
Bills 1 249.00
Rams 2 110.00
Bucs 3 105.00
Dolphins 4 69.00
Bengals 5 46.00
Patriots 6 44.00
Chiefs 6 44.00
Redskins 8 38.00
Titans 9 31.00
Browns 10 10.00
Packers 11 5.00
Saints 12 -20.00
Seahawks 13 -25.00
Panthers 14 -36.00
Cardinals 15 -47.00
Niners 16 -48.00
Bears 17 -53.00
Jaguars 18 -71.00
Chargers 19 -76.00
Falcons 20 -82.00
Jets 21 -101.00
Cowboys 22 -135.00
Eagles 23 -176.00
Vikings 24 -208.00
Giants 24 -208.00
Ravens 26 -210.00
Lions 27 -240.00
Broncos 28 -268.00
Raiders 29 -283.00
Texans 30 -328.00
Colts 30 -328.00
Steelers 32 -402.00
 League Average   -81.06

+/- Comparison Average

Team Rank Average
Bills 1 24.90
Rams 2 18.33
Bucs 3 15.00
Dolphins 4 9.86
Patriots 5 7.33
Chiefs 6 4.89
Redskins 7 4.22
Bengals 8 4.18
Titans 9 3.88
Browns 10 1.25
Packers 11 0.63
Saints 12 -2.86
Seahawks 13 -3.57
Panthers 14 -4.00
Niners 15 -5.33
Bears 16 -6.63
Cardinals 17 -6.71
Jaguars 18 -10.14
Falcons 19 -11.71
Jets 20 -14.43
Chargers 21 -15.20
Eagles 22 -19.56
Cowboys 23 -22.50
Raiders 24 -23.58
Vikings 25 -26.00
Lions 26 -26.67
Giants 27 -29.71
Broncos 28 -29.78
Ravens 29 -30.00
Texans 30 -41.00
Colts 31 -46.86
Steelers 32 -57.43
 League Average   -10.60

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Conner Harris - ES Rd 6 overall 186 - NFL Undrafted - UDFA signed by NY Jets

Knew this was a long shot. D 2 school players don't get much look. But I really think this guy will surprise people. II almost trade back as I think I could have had him later. But was not interested in a 2018 pick as compensation. Left options limited.

Don't feel bad then. You would've needed to get him before pick 216, or I would've snagged him.

My Final draft Tally. I had one player go undrafted (Wheeler). I guess his injury concerns are worse than I thought. I had one player get arrested one week before the draft. Basically I got screwed but here are my scores:

Without Brantley (+61)

With Brantly (-82)

Brantley: My pick 42- Actual pick: Idiot status 185 (-143) Nice thanks Brantley!

Tankersley: My pick 63- Actual pick 97 (-34)

Mcmillan: My pick 81-Actual pick 54 (+27)

Pocic: My pick 95-Actual pick 58 (+37)

Wheeler: My pick 174-Actual Pick Undrafted  (-79)

Saubert: My Pick 201-Actual Pick 174  (+27) 

Gibson: My Pick 249- Actual pick 166  (+83)

Giving a few bits of additional information. Below will show what players were drafted by the same team in both drafts, and which ones were drafted at the same spot.

Accurate Drafting Examples

Players taken by the exact team

Solomon Thomas (Niners)

TJ Watt (Steelers)

John Johnson (Rams)

Jaleel Johnson (Vikings)

Danny Isidora (Vikings)

Elijah McGuire (Jets)

Treyvon Hester (Raiders)

Eric Saubert (Falcons)

Players taken at the exact spot

Myles Garret (1)

TJ Watt (30)

Zay Jones (37)

Joe Mixon (48)

Rayshawn Jenkins (113)

TJ Watt was the only player taken by the same team at the same spot.

For Tampa I went + for 3rd straight year:

McCaffrey ES 19 (+11)

Kev. King ES 50 (+17) 

Jake Butt ES 84 (-61)

J'ulien Davenport ES 125 (-5)

Montae Nicholson ES 161 (+38)

Chad Williams ES 204 (+106)

Zane Gonzalez ES 237 (+13)

Total +119...

I was hoping to get a real life match again but OJ Howard, he was #1 target in ES Mock and was gone. In 2015 I got 2 players in ES draft that the Bucs picked in rounds 4 and 5. In 2016 I landed the true 4th rounder for Bucs in ES. Pretty amazing IMO given they weren't 1st or 2nd rounders.

Okay my team:

Chidobe Awuzie 29 (60) -31

Jordan Willis 61 (73) -12

Kareem Hunt 89 (86) +3

Jermaine Eluemunor 134 (159) -25

Jon Toth 172 (undrafted) *stunned he wasn't drafted*

Keionta Davis 211 (undrafted)

Samson Ebukam 247 (125) +122

Turns out Keionta Davis has a bulging disc in his neck that we didn't hear about, leading to him not getting drafted.  He's refused to sign as a UDFA for any team until it heals and can practice, which is expected to happen without any surgery.

Can't understand how Jon Toth was not drafted if Kyle Fuller was.

Oh, and I'm still upset at Epoch for stealing Beigel one pick ahead of me.  Would have gotten me an actual Packers pick on my team.  Plus I wound up taking the undrafted Jon Toth in that spot. 

Thak you for all the kind words guys. Greatly appreciated. 

It certainly brings home to you the enormity of running this thing along with the already massively time-consuming and tiring task of being a GM drafting. Notifying people their pick is up/ updating the picks/ checking trades and players already picked et all. It's a completely exhausting process and makes you appreciate the work Epochalypse put in the first two years. I'd also like to sincerely thank those that helped out the hours I was absent. You all played a MASSIVE part in keeping this running so smoothly. 

I think that's fair to see that's been our best draft yet and the new guys have just added to the mix of all the returning GM's who now have this down pat. Been a pleasure as always and your participation and hard work in honestly doing this properly continues to blow me away. Some super smart football minds we have among our number. 

Looking forward to next year .....  If I've regained the mental and physical strength to do this all again! 

Hail. 

I was going to bump this because I did enjoy doing it and I wanted to thank GHH and everyone who made it run smoothly. 

Secondly, i noticed KD Cannon who I really liked was shockingly undrafted, picked up on a UDFA contract by the 49ers and then lasted only 3 days of rookie camp before being let go - Harsh world  - Still $40,000 garunteed is fairly good for 3 days work. 

Finally, I thought I would look at how I did Vs the real world of NFL GM and - well terribly I think is a fair assessment. An alternative assessment is that NFL GMs are clearly morons and I am awesome 

Just a quick Recap   - I picked John Ross 21st in the fist round - Potential to have a DeSean Jackson impact to games but from the second i picked him i grew more and more concerned about his injury record and thought he would probably drop to the beginning of the second round - The Bengals took him 9th (hmm Bengals - Still not forgiven them for last years Tie) 

Next i opted out of the second round because i thought it was too early to take Sydney Jones following his ACL at a position where ACL is often a two year set back for defensive backs - a position that often takes a year or two of seasoning for the best prospects - I traded with NE but in reality Philly came in (stupid eagles) - Eventually I took Chris Wormley at 72 who is a high floor lowish ceeling kind of guy - The Ravens took him at 74 (slight reach) (meh Ravens)

Of my next of three third round picks I - erm was clearly hacked by the Russians -(and not the only time in this draft) and took Elijah Lee from Kansas State at 85 - He was drafted by the Vikings a mere 147 spots later on in the 7th round by the Vikings, I do like Lee but in retrospect might have been a bit of a reeeeaaaach by me  the Russian hackers  - and although I do like him - on tape he was all over the field - it should be remembered he was on tape with.  

Finally I did something sensible in the third and 96tth overall selected Sammaje Perine who was actually picked 114th overall by the Redskins, The guy is a beast - it is not his ridiculous 427 yard game that stood out but the runs in which he just carried people. Potential next level NFL guys. Although he is 5-11 he actually appears smaller because he is built from the ground up - As a battering ram RB i like him a lot. (Smart Redskins)

Mack Hollins - I picked mack Hollins 127th overall and then he ceased to exist. Okay so he went 118th to the Eagles - Given the fact the Eagles don't and I mean just don't bother developing WRs and keep selecting identikit projects - I cannot say I have high hopes for his career - and well good - Sorry Mack; you should not get yourself picked by the Eagles - If he does develop the Eagles could be a Golden Tate like down field threat - but that might be on his 2nd or 3rd team, (Stupid Eagles) 

I was going to take Mack Hollins or Channing Stribling at 127th - as it turned out  I was able to snag Channing Stribling at 165 a bargain. He was known as the other guy at Michigan in the star-studded  Wolverines defense and by 'other guy' i mean the guy who wasn't drafted. Something of a surprise and normally I would say he still might have a shot - but then he was picked up as an UDFA with the Browns - so yeah.. (Go Browns) 

Next i selected Avery Moss 205th overall - which was a steal considering the Giants took moss in the 5th round 167th overall - I actually like Moss and he has gone, regrettably, to a team which he has a chance of sticking on and developing with. That said I am hoping his selection will help expose the entire Giants establishment for what they are- exposed - did you see what I did there - Moss was (oh never mind) (Boo Giants) 

Then the NFL went crazy - well most of the NFL went crazy. All except the Buccaneers who managed to find their future star at TE in the 2017 class (all be it in the reject bin of UDFA - So i am clearly not thinking of that OJ Howard bozo) because the Antony Auclair - of Lavel - amazing as this sounds when typed aloud - went undrafted. I know, I know we are all shocked - But still, the French Canadian will rise up and become the undisputed star of the game - revolutionizing (and not for the first time) the TE position - and if they are lucky maybe Howard can be a backup or ST standout (Lucky Bucaneers)

Finally my draft rounded out with Joe Mathis - Actually he is the kind of late round sleeper who in the right circumstances could be a real surprise. He is a little undersized, a little bit slow and a little bit injury prone  - but ignoring all of that and  watching him on tape there is something to his game that is interesting - of course he wasn't drafted and could just end up one of those training camp crushes (if he gets that far) but the Texans picked him up - I dont have great hopes of him catching on. (woo Texans - i guess)

So with 9 picks and 3 UDFA amongst them, I ended up with -240 relative value - which is possibly better than I had hoped. I hope all of them (with the exception of Mack Hollins - and possibly Avery Moss) - a long and outstanding career.   

1st Round. Jabrill Peppers - S

My draft: #13  

Actual Draft: #25 to Cleveland Browns

2nd Round. Patrick Mahomes III - QB

My Draft:  Used a 4th rounder to trade up and draft him @ #37

Actual Draft:  Kansas City Chiefs used a 3rd rounder, and a 2018 first round pick, to trade up and draft him @ #10

3rd Round.  Chris Godwin - WR

My Draft: #77

Actual Draft: #84 to Tampa Bay Buccaneers

4th Round.  Traded to Oakland for Mahomes III

5th Round 1st Pick.  Shaquill Griffin - CB

My Draft: #157

Actual Draft: #90 to Seattle Seahawks

5th Round 2nd Pick.  Erik Magnuson - OG

My Draft: # 180

Actual Draft: UFA signed by San Francisco 49ers

6th Round.  Stevie Tu'ikolovatu - DL

My Draft: #197

Actual Draft #223 to Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

7th Round.  Paul Magloire Jr. - LB

My Draft: #231

Actual Draft:  UFA signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Going into the draft, there were several areas that Arizona wanted to address, the most important being QB.  Last year I actually traded up to get Paxton Lynch, with the thought that a year of studying under Palmer, he would be ready to push for the job this upcoming season.  Cardinals had expressed interest in Lynch last year and had Denver not jumped up ahead of them and taken him at 17, the general consensus was that he would have been drafted by them at 19.  However, since our draft picks don't carry from year to year, I found myself again in a spot where I needed to address the QB position in a year without a slam dunk, year 1 starter prospect.  Going under the assumption that whoever I picked would be sitting behind Palmer for a year, I focused in on the prospect I felt had the most long term upside.  Given Bruce Arians strong resume with developing QBs, tailoring playbooks to highlight their strengths, and innovative playcalling, Mahomes was the clear cut favorite choice for me. A private workout held with the team a few weeks before the draft left a strong impression and apparently both coach and GM liked what they saw in his potential and playmaking ability.  I did not want to take him at #13 overall though, and was hoping to trade down and snag him at the end of the first.  However, when it came to my turn and I saw that NO QBs had been taken at that point, I felt comfortable enough to gamble on him still being available in the second round.

With my first round pick now wide open, I turned my focus to BPA and defense.  A new QB will by nature struggle early, so in order for the Cardinals to remain competitive, I wanted to ensure that their top tier defense remained a strength in upcoming years.  They will most likely be responsible for keeping their new offense viable in low scoring matchups for the next few years, and so I had a strong emphasis on adding playmakers and elite talent.  My goal going in was to spend more than half my draft on defense, specifically addressing their losses in free agency in the secondary and at LB.  Peppers helps address both of these roles, and by placing him on the same team as Deone Buchannon his unique skills can be developed in a system that already uses a hybrid role.  I can't think of a better mentor for him to study under to learn how to make a successful transition to the NFL level.  Having Karlos Dansby on hand also means he can fill in as needed early on without being thrown into the fire right out of the gate, and it lets the coaches try him out in different spots all over the field to see where he can be most effective.

The other offensive concern for Arizona was finding a replacement for Fitzgerald at WR.  While their WR corp fell apart last year with the dissapointment of Floyd, they do still have talent on the roster that can develop in the future.  So while I knew I needed a WR with top tier upside, I didn't necessarily feel the need to reach for one with Fitzgerald and John Brown still on the roster for at least one more year.  I had the opportunity to draft Mike Williams with my first round pick, but ultimately felt that the depth of this draft class meant I could get a very good receiver at much better value if I waited.  And luckily I was right.  Godwin is an extremely polished route runner whose play style has been compared to Allen Robinson.  I think he has huge upside and could easily see him ranking among the top most impactful rookies this upcoming season.  Having Palmer and Fitz here for this year will allow him both extremely favorable matchups this season while not overexposing him too early.  He has a chance to learn from one of the best at the position and still have a chance to play a major role.

Back on defense, I knew I wanted to add more help in the secondary.  Playmaking corners are a staple in Arizona's defense.  Second year player Brandon Williams struggled last season, but had a strong camp and they are not ready to give up on him.  So in my mind, whoever I picked would be competing with him to play across from Peterson.  I also wanted to find someone who had experience at safety to help with versatility along the back end if needed.  Griffin is a sure tackler with great coverage skills and a nose for the ball.  I had originally targeted Rasul Douglas at this spot because i did not think Griffin would still be on the board.  I had a third round grade on him and could not believe he fell to me.  To me his speed concerns are overrated and strongly mitigated when weighed against the playmaking upside, strong tackling and coverage skills, and position versatility he offers.

Next two picks for me were addressing both sides of the line.  Magnuson was by far my highest rated remaining lineman on the board at this point.  He offers versatility at both guard and tackle and his quickness is a huge plus for a team that runs so many plays involving David Johnson in space. A new QB under center means an emphasis on both protection and the running game, and to me he offers both.  On the opposite side, I drafted Tu'ikolovatu as a low risk, high reward player who offers both insurance and motivation for second year player Robert Nkemdiche.  Nkemdiche is talented but underperformed last year.  With Calais Campbell departing, his role is going to significantly increase going forward.  Tu'ikolovatu can spell him and use the year to improve his technique, hopefully developing into an important cog along the D line.

The final selection I had was another LB/hybrid player who offers more insurance and versatility for Arizona's defense at multiple positions in the same vein as Peppers.  Consider him a Peppers insurance policy.  Magloire has played running back, safety, and linebacker.  Arizona Cardinals LB coach Larry Foote was so impressed with him at the East west shrine game that he invited him in for a private workout.  Given time to develop, he offers another multi-talented piece for Arizona's defense, and could comfortably come in for spot duty behind both Peppers and Buchannon, while adding an impact on special teams right out of the gate.

• 3 months later...

Seems like the right time to bump this thread. Here are my results so far - in my signature.

5 of 7 made an NFL team, 3 starters. The other 2 I think will make PSs, especially Tyler Orlosky. I wish the Redskins would sign him. I really believe he can play at the NFL level. Conner Harris was always a long shot. But he could contribute. The guy is a physical freak and has a great attitude. Plays with an edge you like to see at LB. But admittedly probably a bit slow for the NFL. But you never know. Again, I hope he makes someone's PS and gets a chance.

Archived