Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 ES GM's Mock Draft is now in the books. FULL details in the OP.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

6 players we took the first are still on the board. Dallas never had a first round grade on Charlton so that could of been 7. 

Mad, crazy 'real' draft thus far that just shows we get WAYtoo hung up on projected positions from talking heads and their mocks.

It's pretty much ALL guess work. 

Hail. 

Dallas had 18 players with a first round grade. To me that sounds weird. Do they then have 40 players with a second round grade?

It's one of does comments that make you think huh what?

6 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Dallas had 18 players with a first round grade. To me that sounds weird. Do they then have 40 players with a second round grade?

It's one of does comments that make you think huh what?

Well when you consider there's no real consensus top 10 in this draft I don't find that odd at all. 

You've your top 4 or 5 players, then it's much of a muchness through the next 60 or so at least in very similar quality. All depends on what you want/ what fits your scheme/ who you fall in love with et all. 

Hail. 

17 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Well when you consider there's no real consensus top 10 in this draft I don't find that odd at all. 

You've your top 4 or 5 players, then it's much of a muchness through the next 60 or so at least in very similar quality. All depends on what you want/ what fits your scheme/ who you fall in love with et all. 

Hail. 

Maybe the 4 hours sleep gets the best of me.

But you then say. These 18 guys are sure fire first rounders. These 40 guys are second rounders. Some of them will go in first but just because there arent enough first round talent. 

So when I say my 28 rated player, Jarrad Davis, is a late first early second guy. Cowboys might just grade him as second round talent. Maybe based on previous drafts. ? 

More interesting is that they had one first round player left but chose not to pick him.  Based on there team that can only be two positions: RB or o-line. My guess Cook or Lamp. 

I am pretty happy both from a ES Mock draft perspective and the real draft.

Ravens - Name RD (rd pick) (overall):

Corey Davis - ES Mock 1 (16) (16)  - NFL 1 (5) (5) 

Garrett Bolles - ES Mock 2 (15) (47) - NFL 1 (20) (20)

Allen falling to us is not something I saw coming. I was also sure they would decide with all that 1st rd talent to reach for someone like Chris Wormley - good kid but not at 17 with Allen, Foster, and OJ Howard on the board.

SF wins the first day though. They get two great players in Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster (assuming the diluted test and character issues straighten out). They lose only a 4th to move back into the 1st but gain the Bears 3rd, 4th and their 2018 3rd to move back just one spot! Horrible trade for Chicago. They must have been convinced someone else was trying to jump into that spot. Only reason to make that trade giving up so much. I guess if he turns out to be a stud they will get the last laugh. But right now it looks bad.  

Picked the right position (LB) for the Cardinals, but the wrong player.  Funny, reading Peter King's analysis he says: 

13. Arizona Cardinals: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

A simple case of a team filling a need. The Cardinals’ defense was rocked in free agency. Reddick, experienced at multiple positions, fits their diverse scheme, most notably in the all-important passing down sub-packages. And if nothing else, he fills the hole that’s looming at linebacker behind projected starter Karlos Dansby.

Multiple position versatility, safety experience, scheme fit, and similarity to Peterson and Mathieu were my exact reasons for targeting Peppers.  I still think Peppers is a better fit, but hard to argue with their logic.

Pretty happy to see my second round QB (Mahomes) get taken 27 spots ahead of where I grabbed him though Cool smiley 13

1/12 - TACO CHARLTON, DL, Michigan - went 1/28 to Dallas........ -16

1/28 - GAREON CONLEY, CB, Ohio St - went 1/24 to Raiders........+4

2/33 - EVAN ENGRAM, TE/WR, Ole Miss - went 1/23 to Giants......+10

Bittersweet for me in that my top 3 picks have already been selected, but 2 of them went to hated rivals.  So I can't even root for their success to make my drafting skills look good.:hitfan:

Our NFC East rivals better stay away from my remaining picks.

Comparison of my draft to actual Browns draft so far...

Took DE with top pick - check

Took DB with second pick - check

Took TE with 3rd pick - check

Traded down to add another first rounder in 2018 - check

Well I got the right position for GB's first pick.  I even tried to trade back like Thompson did because of all the talent I saw available, but didn't get any acceptable offers.  Just a difference of opinion over who was the better CB.  I liked Awuzie, Teddy Tom Toms (I should try to make that a thing) liked King.

Rounds 1 and 2 were not kind to me (more-so round 1 than 2), but the guy I traded up for in the third (Kareem Hunt) wound up going a few picks earlier than I took him, so at least I have some validation on the only guy I felt strongly enough to move up for.  Still stinging from the pain of how far Awuzie dropped, and that he dropped to the Cowboys.  Also, @Epochalypse, why couldn't you have offered me what the Browns offered the Packers?  I'd have been happy to move down four spots for the first pick in the 4th.  And then I wouldn't have to suffer the pain of having a first round pick drop to the bottom of the second.

Kinda interesting how Hunt went to the Chiefs, as @ZRagone said he'd have taken him for the Chiefs had I not leapfrogged him.

Tomorrow we'll see how much NFL GMs think I reached on my OL picks in rounds 4 and 5.  Hurts all the more that my intent was to fill a hole at starting RG (and cover backup C) and the Packers went out and signed a former Pro Bowl guard just before the draft.  Having drafted two O-linemen last year, they're probably not likely to draft two more this year.  The one thing I do have going for me is that the Packers have two 4th round picks, and the 4th round is where TT finds diamonds for the O-line, including Josh Sitton, T.J. Lang, David Bakhtiari, and J.C. Tretter.  So here's to TT finding Jermaine Eluemunor as his next diamond.

From a personal standpoint - had a better Thursday than Friday:

Corey Davis WR - ES Rd 1 16 overall - NFL Rd 1 overall 5 --> +11

Garrett Bolles OT - ES Rd 2 overall 47 - NFL Rd 1 overall 20 --> + 27

Tarell Basham DE - ES Rd 3 overall 78 - NFL Rd 3 overall 80 --> -2

Isaac Isiata OG - ES 3 overall 99 - NFL Not drafted yet

Overall ES Mock notes:

ES Rd 1 - NFL all picks taken

ES Rd 2 - NFL all picks but 1 - Caleb Brantley - Not really fair since his arrest came after the ES pick was made

ES Rd 3 - NFL 18 ES players still undrafted by the NFL

ES Rd 4 - NFL 8 Players drafted in the NFL 3rd - 2 by NO Saints

ES Rd 5 - NFL 7 Players drafted in the NFL 3rd - 4 by Seattle! Seattle is making some folks look really good!

ES Rd 6 - NFL 3 Players drafted in the NFL 3rd - Latest Chad Williams taken with pick #98 by Arizona - Picked at #204 by Tampa in ES

ES Rd 7 - NFL - no picks taken by NFL

One players taken in NFL was undrafted by ES GMs - C. J. Beathard SF 49ers Rd 3 Overall 104

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

One players taken in NFL was undrafted by ES GMs - C. J. Beathard SF 49ers Rd 3 Overall 104

That one really burdens me...

Matt Millen 2.0?

1 - Malik Hooker -11

2 - Jarrad Davis +14

3 - Pat Elflein -2 (went 70 and got him at 68, quite nice)

Feeling good so far. But I expect worse results in the later rounds.

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Wow. Brantley and Tankersley are killing me. I suck at this draft evaluation stuff :)

I did hit on Pocic and McMillan though. They went a round earlier than I picked them.

Brantley got off field stuff after we started it. No way you could have known... So you're getting a pass here for me.

I hardly believe someone went after Pocic when Elflein was still available...

Honestly, I find this draft being really weird... Some teams are making stupid stuff... Really questionning some of those FO. And the Redskins are not one of them so far. We've been doing good.

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Kinda interesting how Hunt went to the Chiefs, as @ZRagone said he'd have taken him for the Chiefs had I not leapfrogged him.

Yeah, he and Kamara was the backs that I really zeroed in on for the Chiefs, as they both felt like perfect fits for what Andy Reid tends to do with the RB position. 

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I hardly believe someone went after Pocic when Elflein was still available...

Honestly, I find this draft being really weird... Some teams are making stupid stuff... Really questionning some of those FO. And the Redskins are not one of them so far. We've been doing good.

Pocic was announced as a Tackle, wasn't he?  With his 6'6" frame, he is built more like a Tackle.  If that's what they wanted him for, then Elfein probably wouldn't fit their need.

3/65 - CARL LAWSON, EDGE, Auburn - went 4/116 to the Bengals.........-51

5/171 - VINCE BIEGEL, OLB, Wisconsin - went 4/108 to the Packers........+63

5/175 - TEDRIC THOMPSON, S, Colorado - went 4/111 to the Seahawks.......+64

That's 9 of my 10 picks drafted in the first 116 picks of the real draft.  Just leaves Chase Roullier who I picked at 7/248.

Archived