Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

20140801-165115-60675080.jpg

"Nikita Smirnoff, Sputnik News. Knowing what you know, in what ways would you say your country is most vulnerable and how might a hostile foreign enemy exploit those weaknesses? Also, where are your soldiers and can I go there & count them?"

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I'm honestly thinking about pulling all of my money out of the market. There's just no way this is sustainable right? Even if there wasn't a complete dolt in the oval office.

Thoughts?

Welp....there go the markets.

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I'm honestly thinking about pulling all of my money out of the market. There's just no way this is sustainable right? Even if there wasn't a complete dolt in the oval office.

Thoughts?

Don't think I'd do that yet.  

Remember, last time, it took like five years to inflate the bubble.  Might as well ride it while it's inflating.  

(Although, granted, this time, it's not just the possibility of a bubble.  There's also the possibility that we might start a war or three.  That could happen a lot sooner.)  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Don't think I'd do that yet.  

Remember, last time, it took like five years to inflate the bubble.  Might as well ride it while it's inflating.  

(Although, granted, this time, it's not just the possibility of a bubble.  There's also the possibility that we might start a war or three.  That could happen a lot sooner.)  

unless the bubble started earlier.

war can be good for the market

Little early yet to bail imo, but then my money is not in it.

Lot of crossover between this thread and Brexit (obviously).

So... what are the chances anything gets done to stop Russia going forward?

What could be done effectually?  Personally, I'd like their teeth kicked in.  Reminds me too much of the West ****footing around while Germany began to roll.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Appeasement. 

I dont think that that will happen again over Russia. Too much knowledge and news coverage that we didn't have in the 1930s 

I mean, I'd sure hope that's the case... and I admit this is far from an apples to apples comparison.  Yet here we are - Russia knows they can attempt to influence any election they desire with essentially no consequences.  

It's a big problem, and all that's been done is an attempt at mitigating the damage in future instances.  

They're a dangerous game and we're (the West) relegated to defense only.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Reminds me too much of the West ****footing around while Germany began to roll.

This is an interesting comparison.  I'm going to read more about the diplomacy from this period, keeping in mind the current state of affairs with Russia.  But my initial thought is that the situations are pretty different.  For one thing, we didn't sell out Ukraine when Russia invaded like Britain and France did to Czechoslovakia.  We opposed their invasion and retaliated against Russia with sanctions and diplomatic isolation.

For another thing, I think appeasement would be unpopular in Western domestic politics, to say the least.  In the 30's, it was pretty overwhelmingly popular.  Neville Chamberlain was hailed as a hero upon returning from brokering the end of independent Austria and breaking the alliance with Czechoslovakia and conceding everything to German aggression because he avoided war with them.  The people of Britain and France had no stomach for conflict with Germany at the time.

Openly pursuing appeasement with Russia in our current political climate would make you a traitor.  With the notable exception of GoP sheeple, the American public understands that Russia is a hostile rival that has attacked us and it has an appetite for retribution.  Our current political leadership is the only thing paralyzing American response to Russian aggrandizement and hostility, the people would support it.  The current GoP government has no credibility and when they lose power, there's going to be a reckoning for their treasonous conduct.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2017 at 11:53 AM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Thoughts?

Edited by skinsmarydu

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is an interesting comparison.  I'm going to read more about the diplomacy from this period, keeping in mind the current state of affairs with Russia.  But my initial thought is that the situations are pretty different.  For one thing, we didn't sell out Ukraine when Russia invaded like Britain and France did to Czechoslovakia.  We opposed their invasion and retaliated against Russia with sanctions and diplomatic isolation.

For another thing, I think appeasement would be unpopular in Western domestic politics, to say the least.  In the 30's, it was pretty overwhelmingly popular.  Neville Chamberlain was hailed as a hero upon returning from brokering the end of independent Austria and breaking the alliance with Czechoslovakia and conceding everything to German aggression because he avoided war with them.  The people of Britain and France had no stomach for conflict with Germany at the time.

Openly pursuing appeasement with Russia in our current political climate would make you a traitor.  With the notable exception of GoP sheeple, the American public understands that Russia is a hostile rival that has attacked us and it has an appetite for retribution.  Our current political leadership is the only thing paralyzing American response to Russian aggrandizement and hostility, the people would support it.  The current GoP government has no credibility and when they lose power, there's going to be a reckoning for their treasonous conduct.

Definitely some good points here.  

Lets say that Russian influence has (in part) led to Brexit and Trump's election.  This has led to a less robust EU, a change in our Ukraine platform, the appointment of a very pro-Russian Flynn, and a weakened State Department.  Seems the lifting of sanctions was on tap as well until the **** hit the fan.  

Russia attempted involvement in other countries as well (a few at least), and now France is next in line.  If Russia pushes countries to become less proactive internationally (i.e. Isolationist), it opens up the possibility of further Russian aggression in terms of remaking the USSR.  

Lastly, it's possible that Russia has had a hand in destabilization in the M.E. and has potentially aided NK with their missile program.  

All in all, it's very different situation from the 30's (and it's a very different goal than Germany's), but... it's a concerning trend.  

And again, I fear that the response has been less effective than a slap on the wrist.  

yup lol..not expecting any major bombs (major under these circumstance; any other admin they could be terminal) today, but you will get plenty of solid material that doesn't help don & co is my call...i have the day off...it's sunny...i'm smiling....i hope my toga and fiddle arrive in time for the big day...

• Like 2