Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

There's a lot to unpack here and I'm supposed to be at work, so it'll take a few posts over the course of a number of hours.

First, yes, this doesn't relate directly to Trump-Russia.  Cue the defenses.

But there's a lot more than that going on.  Basically, if this is EVERYTHING, then Trump is safe.  The odds of this being everything are very, very low.

The Steele Dossier had explicitly stated that Manafort was a major link between Russia's operations and the Trump campaign.

This is just the beginning. They already seem to have a ton of leverage over Manafort, for both federal and state crimes (which Trump can't pardon). And Manafort has a lot to offer them in return.

-The indictment pretty much encompasses all of Paulie Walnuts' bad acts in the 2000's and 2010's NOT related to Trump-Russia.  Lots of money laundering.  Lots of advancing Putin's interests in Ukraine.  FARA stuff.

- This is probably good for Trump IN THE SHORT TERM, it allows him to distance himself from Manafort pretty easily.

- But it's a double edged sword.

• Thanks 1

Still can't believe Manafort subjected himself to running a national campaign! I figure if I laundered at least 17 million dollars would probably keep a low profile. Probably figured he'd get good with his Russia connect and Trump would lose. No one has the appetite to investigate political rivals.

• Like 1

-prosecutors each work a little differently but generally speaking, it goes like this: provable stuff charged, harder to prove stuff left off, at least for the time being.

- Manafort's and Gates' charges at the moment are ones with a paper trail.

-Collusion is likely a charge that requires testimony, at least insofar as proving it beyond circumstantial evidence.  Even if there are, say, emails and the like, need people to testify that emails and like are true and accurate.  No fakes allowed.

- So stuff with a paper trail that other people can testify to goes first.

He was a bad guy when he picked our Vice President.

Hopefully they haven’t cut a deal with someone to just go after Manafort and leave others alone.  Seems like they have more than enough to arrest Flynn already. 

Edited by visionary

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The more Trump distances himself from Manafort the less loyalty Manafort will have to Trump. I actually see Gates flipping quicker. From all accounts this guy is a weasel.

I'm sure that is the hope, but the question is what they know that would implicate Trump.

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

-The indictment pretty much encompasses all of Paulie Walnuts' bad acts in the 2000's and 2010's NOT related to Trump-Russia.  Lots of money laundering.  Lots of advancing Putin's interests in Ukraine.  FARA stuff.

- This is probably good for Trump IN THE SHORT TERM, it allows him to distance himself from Manafort pretty easily.

With the way Trump slings mud I would be surprised if his political opponents, especially those within the GOP, let him distance himself. He will try, no doubt. But no one is stupid (obviously not talking about republican voters) and many now have it out for him. His "always fight back" attitude is going to start coming back to bite him now that this is over his head and his enemies are happy to give him the finger in public now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The more Trump distances himself from Manafort the less loyalty Manafort will have to Trump. I actually see Gates flipping quicker. From all accounts this guy is a weasel.

They are all weasels. 

If anyone wants to read the Steele dossier, it alleges that Putin held a secret meeting with the ousted Ukranian leader Yanukovych, who Manafort worked for. This was around the time Manafort was fired from the Trump campaign.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

Go to page 20.

Supposedly in this meeting, Putin expressed concern that Manafort has too much **** that makes him vulnerable. He did not believe the assurances of Yanukovych, who said Manafort had covered his tracks.

We now know that Putin was right to be worried, and that Manafort did not indeed, cover his tracks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

They are all weasels. 

If anyone wants to read the Steele dossier, it alleges that Putin held a secret meeting with the ousted Ukranian leader Yanukovych, who Manafort worked for. This was around the time Manafort was fired from the Trump campaign.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

Go to page 20.

Supposedly in this meeting, Putin expressed concern that Manafort has too much **** that makes him vulnerable. He did not believe the assurances of Yanukovych, who said Manafort had covered his tracks.

We now know that Putin was right to be worried, and that Manafort did not indeed, cover his tracks.

If Putin was very concerned Manafort would not be available now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Basically, if this is EVERYTHING, then Trump is safe.  The odds of this being everything are very, very low.

How i see it too.

It certainly fits the mold of getting someone to turn against the group. Those are serious charges. If he can be used against the rest, then he's the low hanging fruit?