Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

23 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Does Manafort apparently lying again hurt his ability for his testimony/info provided to be used against others later?  Could this be bad for Mueller in the long run?

Well, I guess he won't be saying anything going forward, but I'm sure anything true he's said can be used? 

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Well, I guess he won't be saying anything going forward, but I'm sure anything true he's said can be used? 

you gonna rely on the word of a convicted perjurer?

chicken meets egg.

• Haha 1

Just about the only explanation for Manafort’s actions are that — as I suggested — Trump was happy to have Manafort serve as a mole in Mueller’s investigation.

But Mueller’s team appears to have no doubt that Manafort was lying to them. That means they didn’t really need his testimony, at all. It also means they had no need to keep secrets — they could keep giving Manafort the impression that he was pulling a fast one over the prosecutors, all while reporting misleading information to Trump that he could use to fill out his open book test. Which increases the likelihood that Trump just submitted sworn answers to those questions full of lies.

And that “detailed sentencing submission … sett[ing] forth the nature of the defendant’s crimes and lies” that Mueller mentions in the report?

There’s your Mueller report, which will be provided in a form that Matt Whitaker won’t be able to suppress.

Grain of salt on this one.

34 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Does Manafort apparently lying again hurt his ability for his testimony/info provided to be used against others later?  Could this be bad for Mueller in the long run?

I don't think it hurts him giving testimony, since he can be subpoena'd and whether convicted or pardoned (or both), and once one or both of those have happened he can't plead the 5th.

However, it makes him an unreliable witness.  As Chris Geidner puts it here:

Manafort lies and lies and lies.  There is no way a jury would ever believe his testimony, regardless of what it was.  The one chance was for him to be fully truthful here so the prosecutors could portray him as having come clean.  He didn't, he's ****ed.

Now, does that hurt Mueller?

I suspect not too much.  Mueller knew Manafort was lying, which means he has some proof as to what Manafort was lying about.

The question that remains is what is the evidence Mueller has that Manafort lied about?  What form is it in.  If it's direct witness testimony, that could be a problem.

If it's something where there are other witnesses, then Manafort might have just been there to bolster the veracity of the thing by adding more witnesses.

If it's something like an email he sent or received, then his penchant for lying might not be a problem, because all they would need would be a quick "is this a true and accurate copy of an email you received from Don Jr on June 10, 2016?" to get the document in and past hearsay issues.

On the whole, I think it's a minor hiccup.

Gates is worth a lot.  Manafort probably isn't as crucial as we might have thought.

• Thanks 2

I cant decided

1 - if muellers team is rockstar and used manafort as a pawn in their game to be a mole to trump

2 - if muellers team were idiots and just got played, and this witness now has no credibility and they just got played.

3 - if, rather, both sides have the IQ of a tennis racket 

......hm....I wonder what our new country's anthem will be.....

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette
Clarity

10 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

Ooh, interesting theory.

Catching Trump AND Manafort in lies.

I think this theory is probably what happened. Especially since Trump turned thise questions over and probably lied in every answer which matches Manafort.

I don’t think they understand that Mueller knows everything about what they have done.

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It doesn’t seem good to me. Basically all of Mueller’s “witnesses” outside of Gates aren’t panning out or truly cooperating. 

These assholes are gonna skate 

Cohen isn’t? Or Flynn?

• Like 1

That's immediately what I thought after buzz asked if they ruined their own witness by saying hes lying. 

To me, if you are so smart to catch them in a lie....you know something they dont know you do, first of all. Second, you know you are destroying your witness. And third you dont NEED him if you do so willingly. 

Saying to me they got something better than Manaforts words on the subject. Or at least comparable.

Me, I'm dishonest if I know it serves the greater good lol. So I would let Manafort keep his little lies if they dont hurt me, I have what I need AND I needed him as a witness. This suggests to me that they are either super honest folks (which is good) or they dont need him (which is also good) 

But I dont know how any of this **** works lol 

• Like 3

Funny, people immediately start running around squawking about Mueller getting pwned.

"Mueller" is a convenient shorthand for what is a team of legal assassins, his staff is just terrifying in their ability if you take the time to cull through their CVs.

Manafort lying was an essential part of their gameplan, they KNEW he was going to do it. 

• Like 7

*sirens going off*

P.S. for timelines, "spring" supposedly means March.

Manafort approached Trump jn February of 2016.  He was hired as convention manager in March (no later than March 27, as an NYT article confirms his hire sometime before March 28).  He became campaign manager in June.

Also note the change in convention platform that happened with respect to Russia-Ukraine.

P.P.S. as with all news, grains of salt until confirmed by other outlets.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think this theory is probably what happened. Especially since Trump turned thise questions over and probably lied in every answer which matches Manafort.

I don’t think they understand that Mueller knows everything about what they have done.

And this completely fits with the these idiots' patterns of behavior to date. They're consistently shocked when they get caught in lies despite it happening almost every time. Trump, his offspring, and his like-minded mini-me underlings have basically lived their entire lives free of consequences for bad (or illegal) behavior; it isn't all that surprising that they simply don't even consider the possibility of getting caught and having to pay a price for it. They've also demonstrated over and over that they're really just not that bright in general. I think the likelihood of them pulling a fast one and snookering Mueller and his prosecutorial all-stars is very low.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2