Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Here's where I stand on the whole thing...

As a baseline, if it were entirely up to me to make the decision I would figure out a way to sign Cousins. I would have been negotiating with him since the day after we lost to the Giants. Having said that, we have to let McCloughan do his thing here. If he's not pushing hard to retain Cousins at $25M or whatever per season, there has to be a very sound reason. Personally, I don't have to understand what those reasons are...I just need to trust that he has them. Whether he thinks he can get 80% of the output for 25% of the cost from another QB or he believes that he's building leverage, this is his job! 

A couple years ago I begged for a GM to have full autonomy and for people like Snyder and Allen to get the Hell out of his way to build a team over a 3-4 year period. It would be completely hypocritical of me to suddenly pivot and say that I want someone to force McCloughan's hand now. Whatever his reasons, he needs the authority to build this roster however he sees fit. Otherwise, we can go back to the days of under-qualified people making the same types of decisions that we, the fans, would make. I remember dozens of decisions that we all applauded which turned out to 1) not work and 2) further tie our hands from making other moves. 

So, again, my eyes tell me that Cousins is the guy for the long-term...but my eyes didn't earn a GM position by building two other successful teams. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I'm pretty sure about 75% of the local fans and media still would think that KC is being traded to SF or whoever for draft picks and that he won't be our quarterback next year even if there was a video of him signing the contract.

They would argue it's a video or pic taken when he signed his Franchise Tag tender.

48 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ugh...I am so tired of the drama...

We had a DC and OC search to conduct first and foremost. So yeah we aren't aggressive in signing Kirk right now.

Point is that we're not in a hurry, neither is Kirk. How long did it took the Broncos to sign Von Miller last year?

What Schefter is stating as fact is a bit harsh regarding this year.

38 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Honestly I'm torn because I'm not confident in Kirk or McCloughan. 

If you're so torn, maybe it's time to change your nickname to Nathalie Imbruglia?

6 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

The last couple of seasons have been the best for a long, long while, the mentality of our Redskins is changing for the better, Mccloughlan has said all along that he will reward players who play well for the Skins with new contracts, that's why in my mind he will resign players like Cousins, Garçon and Baker to new deals. And he won't resign players like Knighton who he obviously felt didn't play and try enough. Not signing Cousins especially will tell every player that Mccloughlan is not a man of his word.

HTTR 

Frank Gore as a very cool story about McCloughan being a man of word.

• TSO locked and unlocked this topic
12 minutes ago, 21 always said:

Dont worry everyone.... They are going to botch this whole thing... We always do... Obviously im jaded but we are slowly rolling down the hill with no brakes and teetering on a disaster of an Off-Season... 2013 here we come...

You're a problem. Everyone has a right to their opinion about if they want Kirk signed or traded, but to just say a blanket pessimistic statement like that is really disappointing. Two solid seasons under the belt, a boatload of cap space and we still have this nonsense. 

The "trade Kirk, draft QB" and "What's Your Plan B" threads have been locked and merged (no idea how it chooses who gets the OP, because the title Renegade made is still the main one but somehow it's BossHog's OP... whatever).

Both of those topics/ideas can fit into the "Let Kirk Cousins Walk" thread for any future discussion, if anyone so desires. 

The opposing idea of re-signing Kirk has its own thread as well as this Bruce Allen thread now.

That's more than enough for everyone to continue embellishing in circular arguments. :);) 

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Jo Gibbs showed that you don't have to have the most talented QB's to win a Super Bowl (Theismann, Rypien, Williams). What you need is a solid QB, a good coaching staff and players who don't make a lot of mental errors.

Joe Gibbs, IMO, is the greatest coach of all time because he won 3 SB's with 3 non hall of fame QB's. But this is a different game than it was back then. If you don't have a great QB, you better damn sure have an elite defense.

In today's passing league, you need a very good to great QB. 

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ugh...I am so tired of the drama...

It's a fact that Adam Schefter has been on the Redskins ass about signing Cousins to a long term deal for a long time now

It's also a fact that Adam Schefter is on the record, has been since before we tagged Kirk last year, in voicing his opinion that Kirk might not want to be here and might want to choose to hold out which by all accounts has never once been proven, stated by Kirk himself, or anyone on the team. Doesn't stop Schefter from pushing that thought since last year

It's also a fact that Adam Schefter is on the record saying that to sign Kirk to a 5 year long term deal the Redskins must pony up 120 million, with 80 of it guaranteed. That astronomical price should lead to anyone to not being aggressive to sign anyone without great thought behind it. It's a fact you don't jump into those types of deals easily or recklessly and shouldn't be aggressive to do that. Guys like Brady only signed a two year deal last season for 41 million bucks. No where near what Adam says it will take to get Kirk to stay

Adam Schefter's "facts" are his opinions. Cooley called Schefter to the carpet recently about how he has been communicating to the world stating all of these "facts" and all Adam replied with when challenged on these "facts" is that they are his opinions. Adam said that Kirk "could" refuse to sign a franchise tag if he wanted to. Sure Kirk "could" do that, doesn't mean he will. I would be floored to see any NFL player turn down 20 something million for playing in 16 games but sure that "could" happen just incredibly unlikely

It's one thing to be a someone who shares opinions but like that above, no one knows how aggressive or not the Redskins have been/have tried to sign Kirk long term because we aren't there behind the scenes seeing what is really going on. Adam isn't there either and has no idea, but that doesn't stop him from running off at the mouth making us look bad because he has a desire to break a story.

As for what Allen said, what else is he supposed to say? Of course they want Kirk back and of course he is our QB. Until he isn't. They aren't going to give away plans either way to a radio station like that. This to me is a non story.

Heard the interview. That was NOT a ringing endorsement of Cousins. If you listen to the question the interviewer leads him to say that. However, Allen jokes before he answers can I write it in "pen or pencil", which confirms things can change from now until the time they make a decision.

22 minutes ago, CTskin said:

You're a problem. Everyone has a right to their opinion about if they want Kirk signed or traded, but to just say a blanket pessimistic statement like that is really disappointing. Two solid seasons under the belt, a boatload of cap space and we still have this nonsense. 

I could care less what you think.. As a season ticket holder for the past 15 years.. I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

On 1/23/2017 at 10:21 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

A GM who specializes in finding a franchise QB is a fantasy.   And this is coming from me who argued on behalf of Scot with some of the rabid anti-Scot people on the board who accuse him of being a poor evaluator of Qbs citing him passing over Aaron Rodgers and also signing Matt Flynn.   My point to them was its an unfair hit.  Scot did ultimately help find a franchise guy in Russell Wilson but to attack Scot for having a hit and miss record on QB is silly because is there is no such GM who nails it on QB without fail.   

The point wasn't that Scot is hit-and-miss at finding QBs.  It's that he has basically done nothing but "miss" his entire career, including passing on the best QB of his generation (Rodgers) in favor of a journeyman level player (Smith) in a year where either one could have gone #1 without anybody second guessing his pick (i.e. Smith was not the consensus #1 pick until the 49ers made him such through discussions with the media).  The lone exception to McLoughan's history of failure at the QB position, which includes several failures since arriving in Washington, is his scouting report on Russell Wilson.  That's not even a pick - some other guy made the pick, and all he did was provide input.  So I think anybody who is skeptical about McLoughan's ability to navigate this scenario where a generational talent at QB (Cousins) fell into his lap from a prior regime and the price to lock him up long term has gone up 50% since McLoughan arrived, would be quite justified.

(I'm defining Cousins as a generational talent at QB because there are very few - maybe 3 - QBs his age or younger who appear poised to become better than he already is)

31 minutes ago, 21 always said:

I could care less what you think.. As a season ticket holder for the past 15 years.. I'm entitled to my opinion. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

couldn't*

Even more disappointing to hear that you're a season ticket holder. Your "opinion" is the definition of blind pessimism and it gives this fanbase a bad name. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, mistertim said:

I don't either but it doesn't sound like he'll accept that. From what I've read it sounds like he's going to be asking for at least top 3 money but quite possibly highest paid QB in the NFL (if not highest paid player period). But reports sound conflicting. One says that he's looking for a blockbuster deal, and then another says he only wants a "fair" deal (though we have no idea what he considers a "fair" deal). Like all rumors and speculation I guess it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think he's talking about what Kirk wanted last year, not what we offered. What Kirk wanted was apparently something like 21-22 million per year IIRC.

if that is what he wants, it will be a bargain.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Adam Schefter's "facts" are his opinions. Cooley called Schefter to the carpet recently about how he has been communicating to the world stating all of these "facts" and all Adam replied with when challenged on these "facts" is that they are his opinions. Adam said that Kirk "could" refuse to sign a franchise tag if he wanted to. Sure Kirk "could" do that, doesn't mean he will. I would be floored to see any NFL player turn down 20 something million for playing in 16 games but sure that "could" happen just incredibly unlikely

By refuse to sign it I think Schefter is saying he could hold off until July to sign it.  That's what most players do when they're franchised.  That's what Norman was doing last year when Carolina cut bait.  You're right, they won't walk away from the money and will eventually sign it.  But they don't have to play nice like Cousins did last year and sign it right away and take part in all the offseason programs, OTAs and minicamps.  If tagged again it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins holds off on signing it.  He's got the leverage to force their hand.  And with him being the QB that can negatively impact the offseason if Cousins were not to report until TC.  

3 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with him being sensitive, I think it has more to do with your brash attitude all the time. It's a constant "if you don't agree with me, you're a dumb ass" scenario with you. 

I'm getting older. Now get off my lawn!

6 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

This JG talk about winning a super bowl with an average QB is total crap, the NFL has changed over the past 25 years ago and Joe is gone.

Let sleeping dogs lie...different era, different game guys.

At the same time, great QBs still need a team. Drew Brees should probably have more than one. So should Aaron Rodgers. John Elway would have never gotten any until they finally gave him a running game and a D.

32 minutes ago, Burgold said:

At the same time, great QBs still need a team. Drew Brees should probably have more than one. So should Aaron Rodgers. John Elway would have never gotten any until they finally gave him a running game and a D.

This too. I don't think you need a great QB necessarily, just a good one that's capable of playing great in stretches(see Eli, Flacco, Wilson, even young Brady/Roethlisberger weren't elite). And you need a team around them.

Archived