Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

Lets not forget that the closest thing KC has had to  true #1 WR is an oft injured TE.

No real threat in the run game as well and I think we were pretty fortunate to finish as well as we have the last two seasons. I think GMSM was surprised too with that flaming bag of poop he put on the defensive side this year.  

Just now, TheBlueIndian said:

Lets not forget that the closest thing KC has had to  true #1 WR is an oft injured TE.

No real threat in the run game as well and I think we were pretty fortunate to finish as well as we have the last two seasons. I think GMSM was surprised too with that flaming bag of poop he put on the defensive side this year.  

I don't think he was surprised but I also don't think he was in love with any of the talent from last year's draft, either as far as the front 7 went.

4 hours ago, DC9 said:

Oh you know darn good and well what is out there right now.

When San Fran hires a front office person I'll be sure to get a quote from them... just for you.  :ols:

It would be amazing if you were that thorough in researching for your own opinion.

Right, that is a "no". Which makes sense, since the only thing that is out there is pure rumor and speculation and "anonymous sources". Which is worth pretty close to nothing at this point.

But you're taking it as gospel apparently and then trying to state that it is a fact that SF is willing to give up all this stuff for Kirk. Do you take every NFL rumor that is out there at this point in the season as something that must be true?

Just now, mistertim said:

Right, that is a "no". Which makes sense, since the only thing that is out there is pure rumor and speculation and "anonymous sources". Which is worth pretty close to nothing at this point.

But you're taking it as gospel apparently and then trying to state that it is a fact that SF is willing to give up all this stuff for Kirk. Do you take every NFL rumor that is out there at this point in the season as something that must be true?

Not as highly as I take your opinion.

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Not as highly as I take your opinion.

A very valuable contribution to the conversation. So you at least will admit that the SF stuff is nothing but rumors right?

I mean, seriously...who exactly is going to commit to giving up a king's ransom in draft picks, including #2 overall, for a QB when they don't even have a friggin' GM or HC?

A very valuable contribution to the conversation. So you at least will admit that the SF stuff is nothing but rumors right?

Dude... I have given you a ton of examples of how this has been handled across the league in the past.

In the OP I've given you a pair of examples of how we botched it.

Just this weekend it came up that the 49ers would be willing to move the number 2 pick PLUS for Cousins... which is in line with what the compensation has been in the past, and what I've said would be on the table.

Again, side with your opinion.  You have every right to.  I think it's clear that you did poorly in history while you were in school, though.

That guy Schefters "opinion".... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. yours....

I mean... by all means... continue to doubt my opinion.  Even though I'm almost always right on here.

But I'd warn you to doubt the best in the business, who doesn't just feed his family with his "hot takes," that he gets from well-placed sources, but pays for vacation homes and ski trips for them.

Again, it's up to you.

Opinions are fine. But stop stating yours, or anyone else's opinion, as though it is fact. You state something as though it is factual, I ask for proof, and you basically come back with "well, I think it makes sense because" and "well this guy said it might happen". There is absolutely no actual evidence that SF is willing to give up those draft picks for Cousins. It is pure rumor and speculation. And as I said, who exactly would be confirming that they're willing to give up these picks to Schefter or anyone else? There's no GM, and there's no HC to even make such a decision.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kirk Cousins crushes Brad Johnson on most metrics.  Not once in his career did Johnson match Kirk's QB rating, completion rate, yards.  And I am talking comparing Brad's career year, his best year compared to Kirk's last 2 seasons.  If you look at Brad's total career its almost comical to compare the two -- Kirk eats him for lunch, breakfast and dinner.  But I am glad this was brought up.  Kirk is clearly better than Brad Johnson.  And letting Brad go is lamented till this day as one of the biggest signs of Danny's mismanagement.    The Kirk situation could potentially be a lot worse. 

There's no way you can say Kirk is better than Brad Johnson, especially if you watched the both of them. Extremely comparable, in my opinion. Stats are crazy these days, all offensive records will be shattered in due time.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Was listening to a really interesting interview driving up to VA on Friday morning on North Carolina radio.  It was with Steve Logan, who coached Matt Ryan at Boston College and has had some NFL coaching experience as well.  Anywho... he picked the Patriots and the Packers to win, and his reasoning was "The Falcons have the 28th ranked defense in the NFL."  Even citing the fact that the Falcons have the number 1 offense, he said defense wins you championships.  He then said "If you give me Matt Ryan and a mediocre offense and the Texans defense, I will win you a Super Bowl."  For me, that's almost exactly how those Seahawks teams were constructed save for Marshawn Lynch.  Sure, Wilson can extend plays and be creative, but ultimately if you have a good QB and a good defense, then anything can happen.  Heck... look at the current Patriots roster... they have some dude named Chris Hogan who played LAX as their number 1 weapon right now.  Defense is smothering.

This is old school football guy coach speak. A guy who's romantic with what has been ingrained in him his whole life. 

The rules are in favor of the offense and has become much more of an offensive league. This idea of shutting opponents down should no longer be. You must be elite on defense to make it happen.

Meaning, more pressure on the QB these days. 

Extremely comparable to the 90s NBA to the NBA today.  

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

There's no way you can say Kirk is better than Brad Johnson, especially if you watched the both of them. Extremely comparable, in my opinion. Stats are crazy these days, all offensive records will be shattered in due time.

Yeah, Brad Johnson was almost 20 years ago. Every record is going to get broken and the stats don't mean everything. Kirk crushes John Elway in most metrics as well...yards thrown each year, QB rating, completion percentage. Is he better than Elway?

Opinions are fine. But stop stating yours, or anyone else's opinion, as though it is fact. You state something as though it is factual, I ask for proof, and you basically come back with "well, I think it makes sense because" and "well this guy said it might happen". There is absolutely no actual evidence that SF is willing to give up those draft picks for Cousins. It is pure rumor and speculation. And as I said, who exactly would be confirming that they're willing to give up these picks to Schefter or anyone else? There's no GM, and there's no HC to even make such a decision.

You did the same thing with the facts that I stated :ols:

Alright, I guess you really don't know as much as I thought you did... so I'll bring you up to "the know."

Once upon a time, there was a small time reporter up in Denver.  He was asked by the head football coach to help him write his book.

9780066620398.jpg

After the book was written, the two scratched each others backs and that small time reporter became very big with some of his hot takes.

Surely you remember the debacle that went along here a couple of years ago at the end of Shanny's regime when that former small time reporter was dropping nuggets?

Well, it turns out that that head football coach had a kid.  He is now about to become a head football coach himself.  So that former small time reporter is what I would call "the definition of 'In the know'" when it comes to anything to do with that family.

Is that at least a reasonable hypothesis?  I mean, give me well thought out for all of the FACTS that are on my side... surely that's not as big of a reach as "your opinion."

And none of what you just wrote changes that there is zero actual evidence that SF is willing to give up those picks and there is nobody in SF right now who would even be qualified to confirm it to anyone, but you are apparently taking it for granted that it's true because it goes along with your opinion on the matter.

Just now, wit33 said:

This is old school football guy coach speak. A guy who's romantic with what has been ingrained in him his whole life. 

The rules are in favor of the offense and has become much more of an offensive league. This idea of shutting opponents down should no longer be. You must be elite on defense to make it happen.

Meaning, more pressure on the QB these days. 

Extremely comparable to the 90s NBA to the NBA today.  

That may be.  But look at the last several Super Bowl Champions....

Seattle

New England

Denver

More often than not it's the defense that wins.

And none of what you just wrote changes that there is zero actual evidence that SF is willing to give up those picks and nobody there right now who would even be qualified to confirm it to anyone but that you are apparently taking it for granted that it's true because it goes along with your opinion on the matter.

Well ****, tim...

You win the thread.

Kirk's leaving for free and we're going to ride with Colt McCoy and maybe get RG3 back.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Bit dramatic are we?

Not at all.

I think it'll be great!

You're clearly one of those fans that would rather be right about something than good.

Let's stick it to them!  Together!

23 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I've watched every game that they both played with the Redskins.  And I've seen my share of Brad's Minny and Tampa games.  I agree that offenses are more explosive in today's game but Kirk numbers aren't just better than Brad's -- they are better by a mile.   Take just about any metric -- yards, yards per attempt, completion rate, QB rating.  It's not even close.  I agree Brad should be rated on a curve but it would still have to be one heck of a curve to get his numbers to be comparable.  

But regardless, I was responding to a post that said Kirk "was no where near as good" as Brad Johnson.  I made a strong post in response and it was easy for me to flip that point completely around. If your point is that they are comparable -- I can live with that stance. :)

I agree that the Skins blew the Trent Green situation.  I do believe Cousins would be making a huge mistake if he signed with the 49ers or traded to the 49ers.  The 49ers are a train wreck. Kyle will not be able to fix them for several years from now.  Other teams might try to sign Kirk if we do not sign him.  Kansas City cannot go deep into the playoffs with Smith for example.  Smith is for sure a game manager.  Our GM has to decide if Kirk can be more than a game manager or not.  I think Kirk has shown he can throw deep and Smith has problems with deep throws.  The OP is right to point out how Skins management in the past has dropped the ball.

There are so many ex-Redskins who left our team and went on to have good NFL careers that I do not even want to think about it.

9 minutes ago, DC9 said:

That may be.  But look at the last several Super Bowl Champions....

Seattle

New England

Denver

More often than not it's the defense that wins.

The "new" NFL is fresh, but Seattle and Denver did have elite defenses. I still think defense is important and can be the catalyst, but it's becoming tougher and the approach of each game is its own game will be more accepted. 

Youre right though, we'll see if some more offensive begin to win some superbowls. Falcons?

Just now, wit33 said:

The "new" NFL is fresh, but Seattle and Denver did have elite defenses. I still think defense is important and can be the catalyst, but it's becoming tougher and the approach of each game is its own game will be more accepted. 

Youre right though, we'll see if some more offensive begin to win some superbowls. Falcons?

Yeah I'd agree.  I want to see the Falcons win (I think most of us do) but it's going to be tough with Brady.  It's all about getting pressure with four guys against the Pats offense. 

Kyle did make a competative game against the Pats in 2011 with Grossman and Jabar Gaffney... so I have every faith in his ability to make it interesting.

To be fair to the Falcons defense, they have played MUCH better in the playoffs.  They're a young group and seem to have had the proverbial light go on for them.

New England doesn't have a ton of elite talent but they are an elite unit on defense.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Yeah I'd agree.  I want to see the Falcons win (I think most of us do) but it's going to be tough with Brady.  It's all about getting pressure with four guys against the Pats offense. 

Kyle did make a competative game against the Pats in 2011 with Grossman and Jabar Gaffney... so I have every faith in his ability to make it interesting.

To be fair to the Falcons defense, they have played MUCH better in the playoffs.  They're a young group and seem to have had the proverbial light go on for them.

New England doesn't have a ton of elite talent but they are an elite unit on defense.

I don't see elite from New England, but statistics this season compared to others, combined with an easy schedule shows otherwise.

We'll see how they handle the Falcons. Vegas already has it as the highest over under in the history of the Super Bowl .

1 minute ago, skins4ever28 said:

Does anyone think that with the promoting of the QB coach to OC is a GOOD sign that we will do what it takes to sign Kirk long term?  I have literally lost sleep at night worrying that we will let him walk and be qb-less for another 20 years....

Could be. Impossible to say for sure though. Could be that they just liked his familiarity with Jay's offense and how he meshed with the players.

Just now, skins4ever28 said:

Does anyone think that with the promoting of the QB coach to OC is a GOOD sign that we will do what it takes to sign Kirk long term?  I have literally lost sleep at night worrying that we will let him walk and be qb-less for another 20 years....

Of course it's a good sign.  You promote the guys QB coach to OC... lol

Anyone who says otherwise is afraid to make a decision.

Archived