Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

9 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I still think Kurt gets traded.    The non exclusive tag and these reports that the Skins need to be "blown away" by an offer is a bargaining tool....Skins don't have much leverage, so they are trying to use everything they can to make it seem like they will keep Kurt.

Except that's the exclusive one...

6 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Any inside information on that Mr TK?

If he has he won't tell you until it's official. A hint here or there maybe.

But we're playing it the way the Broncos played it with Von Miller last year. By all reports the discussions were nasty at times between the two sides and they still got a deal done in what? two? three weeks?

What I hate the most is that for everyone the Broncos where smart last year and nobody ever doubted that Miller would wear another jacket in 2016. But when it's the Redskins, we're just dumb.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Kirk is showing he's going to try and twist as much money out of us or someone else as possible.  There won't be a contract as a redskin that doesn't hamper our attempt to make serious moves on defense with letting people leave.  I'll always have a bad taste in my mouth because of this, almost 3ant him gone now.  He doesn't want to be a redskin, he jus wants to get paid

He's starting QB, you have to pay him.

12 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I still think Kurt gets traded.    The non exclusive tag and these reports that the Skins need to be "blown away" by an offer is a bargaining tool....Skins don't have much leverage, so they are trying to use everything they can to make it seem like they will keep Kurt.

It's not the non-exclusive tag. They used the exclusive tag on Cousins.

11 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Well this is going the way i predicted - by using the exclusive tag it is saying

I predicted the team would use the non-exclusive tag, because it was the stupider choice and that's how this front office rolls.  Glad they managed to do something right for once.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Kirk is showing he's going to try and twist as much money out of us or someone else as possible.  There won't be a contract as a redskin that doesn't hamper our attempt to make serious moves on defense with letting people leave.  I'll always have a bad taste in my mouth because of this, almost 3ant him gone now.  He doesn't want to be a redskin, he jus wants to get paid

It's hilarious how fans are always on the side of the players vs. the owners...until it's time to pay a player on their team fair market value. Then the player is greedy, selfish, more about the money than the love of the game or the fans.

Imagine how hard you'd laugh at your boss if he suggested you take less salary for the good of the company. Because companies (and NFL teams and by extension fanbases) are known for being so loyal on their end. 

This is a game measured in months or a couple years for most. Their health is on the line and they have families to think about, just like you and I do when faced with the decision to work for what we're worth on the job market, or taking one for the team.

It's incredibly naive and for most (not saying you specially as I don't know your thoughts on other union vs. NFL topics) it's also hypocritical to side with the billionaires over the players on contracts, even if you think, from your position as a "normal" citizen, that there isn't a difference between $20 million/year and $25 million/year. It's a business. The market is the market, based on supply and demand. Making it personal and projecting your homerism onto a professional athlete is silly. He'd be an idiot to take a dollar less than he's worth from a team that MADE him prove what he's worth specifically with this scenario in mind. Jesus, McCloughan even said last year he'd rather be sure and overpay a lot than not be sure and overpay a bit. This is probably why he and Gruden (who loves Cousins) are being muzzled while negotiations go on. 

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

It's not the non-exclusive tag. They used the exclusive tag on Cousins.

so what?   all it means is that Cousins can't negotiate with other team without Skins permission.

Someone needs to explain to me why they think the Skins will all of a sudden pony up approx 120 mil over 5 years; with 80 mil guaranteed.    They have been nowhere near the number

Just now, SkinsPassion4Life said:

so what?   all it means is that Cousins can't negotiate with other team without Skins permission.

Someone needs to explain to me why they think the Skins will all of a sudden pony up approx 120 mil over 5 years; with 80 mil guaranteed.    They have been nowhere near the number

They haven't negotiated, unless it was recent, since around this time last year, between February and July or so. Nobody has a clue what our "new" offers are or will be looking like. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

The reality is that we have absolutely NO CLUE what numbers they are near in this negotiation.  Literally every single piece of information that has come out is 100% speculation and rumors.  

It was so funny listening to both 980 and 1067 today after this news broke, and all of the "experts" and "insiders" are all talking like they are speaking facts and they all have different views/opinions on what the exclusive tag means and what will happen.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

They haven't negotiated, unless it was recent, since around this time last year, between February and July or so. Nobody has a clue what our "new" offers are or will be looking like. 

every recent report I've heard is that there's a big gap between both sides....I think they put the exclusive tag to make it seem like they love him and won't trade him....and for other teams to trade for him as if he's a "Franchise QB"

48 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Good luck with that lol...we'll check back in with you on Friday.

I had planned to take some time off a couple days ago from here, ask the mods. Then I realized I was about to totally screw Hap over if I did, lol. Get your ass in there, Cali, I know you're good with twitter too! :P 

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I had planned to take some time off a couple days ago from here, ask the mods. Then I realized I was about to totally screw Hap over if I did, lol. Get your ass in there, Cali, I know you're good with twitter too! :P 

Twitter's a young man's game lol...I hung up my tweet cleats already. :ols:

51 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Knee slapper stuff by Brewer. I could name about 10 ES posters in 5 seconds who deserve to be employed as journalists before this Brewer character.

You know, it's a shame. He was really awesome when he first came over here right when Scot was signed and the WP hired him. Very insightful, but all opinion pieces. 

But it seems like the WP is a corrosive force that has a habit of changing reporters for the worse. I don't believe it's just the team, though they play a role in it.  

4 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

every recent report I've heard is that there's a big gap between both sides....I think they put the exclusive tag to make it seem like they love him and won't trade him....and for other teams to trade for him as if he's a "Franchise QB"

And every recent report is based upon 0 facts.

God I hate our local media sometimes.  But I listen to it every day :(

16 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

It means Cousins can't negotiate or talk to any other teams. Hence, the EXCLUSIVE tag.

If there is to be any trade now, it has to go through the Redskins.

If the Redskins were seriously considering trading Cousins, they would've used the non-exclusive tag.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He's not the best qb, don't like paying him like one after the gaints game and what flacco did to baltimore

You're rehashing like, level 1 conversation on this from 16 months ago. What is this bringing to the discussion? Reads like a Bleacher Report comment from a random observer in November 2015. We're way past this.

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's hilarious how fans are always on the side of the players vs. the owners...until it's time to pay a player on their team fair market value. Then the player is greedy, selfish, more about the money than the love of the game or the fans.

Imagine how hard you'd laugh at your boss if he suggested you take less salary for the good of the company. Because companies (and NFL teams and by extension fanbases) are known for being so loyal on their end. 

This is a game measured in months or a couple years for most. Their health is on the line and they have families to think about, just like you and I do when faced with the decision to work for what we're worth on the job market, or taking one for the team.

It's incredibly naive and for most (not saying you specially as I don't know your thoughts on other union vs. NFL topics) it's also hypocritical to side with the billionaires over the players on contracts, even if you think, from your position as a "normal" citizen, that there isn't a difference between $20 million/year and $25 million/year. It's a business. The market is the market, based on supply and demand. Making it personal and projecting your homerism onto a professional athlete is silly. He'd be an idiot to take a dollar less than he's worth from a team that MADE him prove what he's worth specifically with this scenario in mind. Jesus, McCloughan even said last year he'd rather be sure and overpay a lot than not be sure and overpay a bit. This is probably why he and Gruden (who loves Cousins) are being muzzled while negotiations go on. 

This Isn't About Taking The Side Of billionaires.  He's playing us like a violin to get much money as possibe with zero regard to what team well be able to put able round him.  Do you believe the news he wouldn't sign LTD without getting franchised first to maintain his stranglehold on the team?  I do, it's nauseating and really messed up, imo.  I want him to get paid, but he's taking every opportunity he can to rake us I've the coals.  Not having a playoff win and chocking that giants game jus pissed me off even more

You really need to sign Kirk to a long-term deal before Free agency No playmaker on offense/defense will want to sign here if they dont know the long term solution at QB

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This Isn't About Taking The Side Of billionaires.  He's playing us like a violin to get much money as possibe with zero regard to what team well be able to put able round him.  Do you believe the news he wouldn't sign LTD without getting franchised first to maintain his stranglehold on the team?  I do, it's nauseating and really messed up, imo.  I want him to get paid, but he's taking every opportunity he can to rake us I've the coals.  Not having a playoff win and chocking that giants game jus pissed me off even more

Sorry.  It's supply and demand.  He is getting paid for what he will do.  Not for what he has done.  People dont get it. 

13 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Don't believe everything you hear. Because we used to be all about the drama, now that there isn't any, they're simply making stuff up. 

Just listened to Mike McCartney, Kirk's agent on Sirrius.  Highlights:

Kirk likes playing for the Redskins and McCartney said something to the effect of ideally he wants to stay in Washington

Redskins sending a message by giving him the exclusive tag -- shows they think he's a franchise guy

The 24 million tag sets his value

He has had exchanges with the Redskins, negotiations have been going on back and forth and its been positive

He is going to meet with Eric Schaffer this week to talk some more

He was asked if they are thinking about trade -- he said not at all, and ditto when he and Kirk talk, being traded not part of conversation

Edit:  I see Tandler's post above about talking to Schaffer next week, thought he said this week but maybe misheard it.  We've had conversations here about guessing the mood of Kirk and his agent.  Listening to McCartney talk -- the vibe he gives off is they will get this done, he seemed upbeat about it.   Throwing some love at the Redskins -- implying the process has been smooth, he likes dealing with Schaffer, Kirk likes being a Redskins, etc.  I still think though they need to hit at least that 24 million mark.  McCartney more or less said that the 24 million sets his value, they asked him about Luck's contract and McCartney said its relevant to today's QB market along with the cap rising.     

If I had to pull one definitive point about that interview is the idea that Kirk can't wait to get out of town is utter nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not having a playoff win and chocking that giants game jus pissed me off even more

the simple fact that you KEEP bringing it up proves that your anger over the incident clouds your current judgement. let it go...youll feel better if you do. 

Archived