Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Border Wall Thread

No Excuses

GOP's main agenda seems to be paying billions for a stupid wall that won't make any fundamental difference in our society, cutting taxes for millionaires and increasing our deficits while doing it, and repealing a healthcare law without a replacement that will eventually lead to millions of people without insurance.

Oh and in order to accomplish these lofty goals they are going to let the president-elect skate by with undermining our national security with his pro-Russia agenda. 

49 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

GOP's main agenda seems to be paying billions for a stupid wall that won't make any fundamental difference in our society, cutting taxes for millionaires and increasing our deficits while doing it, and repealing a healthcare law without a replacement that will eventually lead to millions of people without insurance.

Oh and in order to accomplish these lofty goals they are going to let the president-elect skate by with undermining our national security with his pro-Russia agenda. 

I don't think "the wall" will ever be completed. It's going to be one of those projects that ends up being an enormous waste of money but plenty of contractors will cash in big time.

Well done Middle America. Prosperity is right around the corner.

The Star Wars of the 21 21st Century, some rich people and corporations will make billions of our dollars while people die because they can't get the health care they need or the retirement funds they earned.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

There can't be a way this passes through congress, right?

Unless a majority of them come to their senses, but think, it's a huge corporate welfare program.

2 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Seems to me that ending the silly war on drugs would be the better solution to stopping the dangerous element from entering the country, plus it would actually be a profitable solution.

I agree that legalization is the best way to disarm the cartels but I don't get why so many think keeping our borders open is a smart decision, regardless of your ethnic background.

I think border control and immigration control in the sense that the country needs to be able to control who comes in and how long they stay is a legitimate and necessary objective.  I assume physical barrier along parts of the border is necessary towards that objective. I don't know that totally walling off the southern border is desirable or whether even fiscally sound (how much more does it cost than a partial barrier plus other enforcement and how much more effective would it be?).

I do know that Trump unequivocally promised that he'll get Mexico to pay for it.  Now he's moved on to he'll get Mexico to pay US back later.  I say it's another outright lie he has told the American public.  

There used to be a VISTA project that was to be installed in all Custom offices in airports and borders. It was a huge IT system to track visas, have a fingerprint component, and other stuff. A client company was working on that while I was working on another proposal.

I don't know what ever happened to the program, I do know that there were a lot of amendments and it was going to be expensive.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

I agree that legalization is the best way to disarm the cartels but I don't get why so many think keeping our borders open is a smart decision, regardless of your ethnic background.

Seems to me nobody is making that argument.

But what is being argued is that a giant wall would be costly in a time we can't afford it and would also be pointless because the dangerous elements are already using tunnels, small planes, boats, etc. 

We could increase border patrols and stations and it wouldn't cost as much as wall construction and maintenance. 

12 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Seems to me nobody is making that argument.

But what is being argued is that a giant wall would be costly in a time we can't afford it and would also be pointless because the dangerous elements are already using tunnels, small planes, boats, etc. 

We could increase border patrols and stations and it wouldn't cost as much as wall construction and maintenance. 

We can afford it if we stop funding other people's problems and worry about our own.

We have enough leverage on Mexico we can either make them pay for it or if they choose not to we can put a serious squeeze on their economy if Trump chose to take that route.

2 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

We can afford it if we stop funding other people's problems and worry about our own.

We have enough leverage on Mexico we can either make them pay for it or if they choose not to we can put a serious squeeze on their economy if Trump chose to take that route.

Yes, let's make their people suffer even more because their government didn't pay for something we wanted and we built. 

Given that I don't see Trump being re-elected, it's highly doubtful the wall ever gets finished anyway.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

You know a great way to increase illegal immigration to the U.S.? Put a squeeze on the Mexican economy. 

Archived