Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Border Wall Thread

No Excuses

4 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Why don't people ever complain about the actual wall that we've built in other parts of the border?   Why is the proposal to complete the wall such a big deal

Because there's a difference between building a wall around a prison and building one around a state?  

You know. Cost vs benefit?

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You know a great way to increase illegal immigration to the U.S.? Put a squeeze on the Mexican economy. 

If there are borders then immigration thru Mexico will decrease, would you not agree with that.

It's not the America's job to ensure the financial stability of Mexico or any other country for that matter, not when we have our own issues and continue to ignore them.

3 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I agree that legalization is the best way to disarm the cartels but I don't get why so many think keeping our borders open is a smart decision, regardless of your ethnic background.

You do realize that there's a place in between the Berlin Wall and "open borders", don't you?

I think the southern border does need to be secured I'm just not sure a wall is the most effective means of accomplishing that goal.  Even with a fence, and let's face it this will be a fence, the original issue of having people cover that much space and respond when someone attempts to cross remains unchanged.  A fence just makes crossing take a little more time.  

That said, I'm fine with insanely expensive public works projects.  

9 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Chicken wire?

Yes, that's one of the points on that range. 

And one that's slightly closer to reality than your first attempt to mis-describe what we have now. 

You're getting better. 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

That said, I'm fine with insanely expensive public works projects.  Hopefully this is the first of many.  

While your point that a wall would employ people is a valid one, I have to say that I'd prefer a public works project that builds something useful. 

Building a bridge across a river, and one in the desert, may employ the same number of people, but the bridge across the river stimulates the economy after it's built, too. 

29 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

If there are borders then immigration thru Mexico will decrease, would you not agree with that.

It's not the America's job to ensure the financial stability of Mexico or any other country for that matter, not when we have our own issues and continue to ignore them.

I totally disagree. A stable, strong economy to our south is what slows immigration, not a wall. Plus, it's better for the American economy and jobs here if Mexico has a strong economy. That doesn't mean we prop them up, but we certainly don't squeeze them. 

Illegal immigration much like the made in America issue is largely about supply and demand. 

14 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

But roughly 700,000 illegals enter the US each year, seems pretty open.

Where do you get that number?

Why don't we have a wall between us and Canada?  Rhetorical question.

If we spent more time trying to help our neighbors to the south than trying to get them to pay for a wall to keep them out then we wouldn't be in this situation.

I've long held the view that our goal as the superpower of the west should be to make sure all of our neighbors are successful as well.

30 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I find it to be hilarious that people actually believe that the US is going to build a wall. 

trump is building a wall. I believe this one 100% because it's a tangible and it's easier to deliver on than most insane campaign promises.

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I totally disagree. A stable, strong economy to our south is what slows immigration, not a wall. Plus, it's better for the American economy and jobs here if Mexico has a strong economy. That doesn't mean we prop them up, but we certainly don't squeeze them. 

Illegal immigration much like the made in America issue is largely about supply and demand. 

The American economy doesnt need Mexico, its the other way around.

Their economy could flat line and it would have little effect on us.  They're a corrupt country (CPI Index) that harbors drug cartels so its not like what were doing now is elimating those issues.

20 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

The American economy doesnt need Mexico, its the other way around.

Their economy could flat line and it would have little effect on us.  They're a corrupt country (CPI Index) that harbors drug cartels so its not like what were doing now is elimating those issues.

Yeah, I'm sure all the U.S. businesses that export goods to Mexico wouldn't mind if our third largest trading partner went into the tank. You're right, it would have no impact on American jobs or the American economy. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Yeah, I'm sure all the U.S. businesses that export goods to Mexico wouldn't mind if our third largest trading partner went into the tank. You're right, it would have no impact on American jobs or the American economy. 

It absolutely wouldnt, it may create a short term gap but Mexico doesnt control the US's destiny when it comes to our financial well being.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Because there's a difference between building a wall around a prison and building one around a state?  

You know. Cost vs benefit?

We have massive walls along parts of the US Mexican border.  Clinton voted for some of it to be built as Senator. 

46 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

They're a corrupt country (CPI Index) that harbors drug cartels so its not like what were doing now is elimating those issues.

If by "we" you mean Americans then we are absolutely doing something about drug cartels.  That something being funding them, they can't get their supply into this market fast enough.  

50 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

It absolutely wouldnt, it may create a short term gap but Mexico doesnt control the US's destiny when it comes to our financial well being.

On a macro level there is some truth but the U.S. Would absolutely lose jobs and some businesses would suffer. The overall impact would be a negative on the U.S. economy. I'm slightly stunned anyone thinks it would be no big deal of our third largest trading partner had an economic collapse. Again, it you want more illegal immigrantion, squeeze Mexico's economy. 

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

On a macro level there is some truth but the U.S. Would absolutely lose jobs and some businesses would suffer. The overall impact would be a negative on the U.S. economy. I'm slightly stunned anyone thinks it would be no big deal of our third largest trading partner had an economic collapse. Again, it you want more illegal immigrantion, squeeze Mexico's economy. 

What businesses would suffer if we diversified and started negotiated trade deals with other countries?

Archived