Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Cravens move to SS full-time???

Renegade7

Move Cravens to full-time SS???  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Move Cravens to full-time SS???

Been a couple articles lately including a tweet from Cravens hinting at the hybrid idea coming to the end and moving him to a serious position of need instead.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/12/22/sua-cravens-says-hes-moving-to-safety/

I've been wishing we would do this, and bring him in the box if needed, a safety that can play linebacker, NOT a linebacker that can play safety.  Some of you may better understand what you're seeing on defense then me, but do ya'll feel the same way?  As talented as he is, I want him as part of the last line of the defense, not just bunched into the interior traffic.   I really, REALLY want at least one of our safety positions solidfied, and this is a sure fire start, imo.

Barry system doesnt have a SS and FS people. The safeties are interchangeable. 

I dont think he should go SS full time though. I prefer him as a Mike Backer in Dime packages and Nickel. He can play safety in our base packages. I think that's the coaches plan all along as they were teaching him linebacker first. 

The problem with Cravens is, to me, he is a luxury defensive pick.  When you have a good defense and you want a add a guy that is versatile and can do a lot of stuff, he's a good pick.  I dont think he is a good pick when your defense sucks or you are trying to build a foundation on defense.

Not saying he isnt a good player, but that pick could have been used elsewhere.

That said...moving him to SS cant hurt...Whitner is horrible.

It is a better position for him.  He is honestly too small to play the linebacker position.  Already sidelined twice--once due to a concussion, and once due to an elbow injury.  

As far as his speed, I am not worried about that at all.  Kam Chancellor's 40 yard dash was 4.69 seconds. 

I like him as a nickle backer, a Monte Coleman type guy, more than as a safety. Thing is, I think that the nicklebacker with the pass crazy NFL and all the really good TEs is probably a starter vs. a reserve. My concern is whether the hits he is taking as a lb are more than he can take. He seems to have gotten hurt a lot this year. I'm not sure if that's a rookie thing, a size thing, a position thing, or just a bad luck thing. If he can physically play the position, nicklebacker (which is probably more suited to a 4-3) seems the best way to go.

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

ST was a FS? Oops. Didn't realize that. I was young back when I first started following the skins, i didn't totally understand who was at which position on the defense. 

ST did a bit of both as he could lay the wood.  But his ability to play 'center fielder' was amazing.  

I think Cravens can be good, but I don't see that level.

2 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

ST did a bit of both as he could lay the wood.  But his ability to play 'center fielder' was amazing.  

I think Cravens can be good, but I don't see that level.

Is there a player in the upcoming draft that you think could be at that level, or a player for the rest of our lifetime that could be at that level? 

Sean Taylor's legend has also grown somewhat out of proportion to his performance. He was on the verge of being a great player and maybe was a great player, but he also had quite a few rough games and blew a number of plays whether it was because of penalties or just bone headed misses. By far, he was our best safety, but he wasn't perfect and he wasn't always Superman.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'd like a rangy FS to go with Cravens at SS, plus two new ILB's please. 

This. Exactly this.

We could sign a DT, ILB and S and draft the same three positions with the first three picks and I'd be ecstatic.

I'd like to see Cravens and Everett as the starting safeties the last two games .

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sean Taylor's legend has also grown somewhat out of proportion to his performance. He was on the verge of being a great player and maybe was a great player, but he also had quite a few rough games and blew a number of plays whether it was because of penalties or just bone headed misses. By far, he was our best safety, but he wasn't perfect and he wasn't always Superman.

Those are fighting words around these parts!

See I'm not alone. I don't think Cravens has the range to play center field the way Sean did, why I suggested SS.  Ya, Taylor wasn't perfect, but he absolutely could move sideline to sideline.

That's another thing that's killing me about this defense, total lack of speed.  We can't gang tackle because we can't get there, especially at ILB.

The answer is a solid NO.  I cannot believe what I'm seeing from people.  This guy is not a safety.  I have been a huge USC fan forever and it's hard for me to admit he's just a nickel backer. Sure,he can make plays.  But you guys are nuts if you want to make him a safety full tine.  he's not the answer there, period.  Look elsewhere 

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

See I'm not alone. I don't think Cravens has the range to play center field the way Sean did, why I suggested SS.  Ya, Taylor wasn't perfect, but he absolutely could move sideline to sideline.

That's another thing that's killing me about this defense, total lack of speed.  We can't gang tackle because we can't get there, especially at ILB.

Cravens would be considered slow 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This. Exactly this.

We could sign a DT, ILB and S and draft the same three positions with the first three picks and I'd be ecstatic.

I'd like to see Cravens and Everett as the starting safeties the last two games .

I wish I could dislike this.  I think you're a good poster, but this is just wrong.  Cravens has no business on the back end 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Just picture earl thomas, but 5inches taller and 30 pounds heavier 

Archived