Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Cravens move to SS full-time???

Renegade7

Move Cravens to full-time SS???  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Move Cravens to full-time SS???

As stated above, Cooley called for this a few weeks ago, and he asked Gruden about it directly on the Coach's Show. Gruden gave a pretty emphatic "no" at the time. Sounds like he's come around to Cooley's wisdom. Cooley was also calling for Goldson to be benched early in the year, and that finally happened. Dude's a pretty good judge of film, I think. 

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

They really shouldn't be. As late into his career as 2006 there were fans that were pretty annoyed with his play. He was having a fantastic, Pro Bowl 2007 season, but if I'm being 100% honest and objective, there's really no way to know if that was just a great year or something he would sustain for the next 6-8 seasons. It doesn't take away from his talent and, more importantly, the tragedy that took place. But, from a strictly football perspective, I've always been a little uncomfortable with how Taylor has taken on a Ronnie Lott persona after his death. 

Taylor brought the fear factor and intimidation (that this team is seriously missing).  Guys didn't want to come over the middle when 21 was on the field.  It certainly felt like his career was on a serious upward trajectory as he had all the natural talent you could ask for and was growing up and maturing as a person before our eyes. 

The guy had his faults but was headed in the right direction.  I think that's why his career is overly glorified.

52 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Can't we talk about the safety position, without it diving into how high Sean Taylors pedestal should be?

So sorry to derail the the thread, chief.

We all know your feelings on him and how much it bothers you to discuss it, my bad.

In a way it's fitting to still be discussing it, considering we haven't had even a halfway decent safety since he departed.  While I like Cravens, and desperately hope he can make the transition, it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So sorry to derail the the thread, chief.

We all know your feelings on him and how much it bothers you to discuss it, my bad.

In a way it's fitting to still be discussing it, considering we haven't had even a halfway decent safety since he departed.  While I like Cravens, and desperately hope he can make the transition, it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

It ain't just thread sparky champ sport bud. It's my favorite position, SS, which Taylor didn't even play. Every ****ing time we talk safety, this discussion gets brought up and it ends up being a talk about was he an average safety with an incredible skill set and one historically great half season or the potential to be the greatest ever. Then there's the was he a great guy who turned his life around because of Gibbs and baby or was he a gun and spit in your face gangbanging thug.

He was all of it. Could have been anything. But he's dead. Move on or don't, I don't care. I'd rather have Earl Thomas personally. Eric Berry would be great. I'd throw a brinks at him.

Go make a "I'm going to compare every Ss and FS to ever play the game to ST" thread.

55 minutes ago, Cliffmark1 said:

The better question is why he didnt start the year at ss. 

People say barry doesnt have tools. I say he doesnt know how to use them. 

Exactly why I don't want him back, but that's not my call.  All I can do is vent on ES and yell at the top of my lunges at FedEx.

For everyone else, ya, I don't feel like talking about Sean in this thread, this is about Cravens.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It ain't just thread sparky champ sport bud. It's my favorite position, SS, which Taylor didn't even play. Every ****ing time we talk safety, this discussion gets brought up and it ends up being a talk about was he an average safety with an incredible skill set and one historically great half season or the potential to be the greatest ever. Then there's the was he a great guy who turned his life around because of Gibbs and baby or was he a gun and spit in your face gangbanging thug.

He was all of it. Could have been anything. But he's dead. Move on or don't, I don't care. I'd rather have Earl Thomas personally. Eric Berry would be great. I'd throw a brinks at him.

Go make a "I'm going to compare every Ss and FS to ever play the game to ST" thread.

whoa.gif

And what's the issue in posting a few positives in the direction of the late Sean Taylor a few times a year? For me, it's cool to think back and remember some of his cool plays and discuss it from time to time. 

I dont think anyone is expecting a player playing the safety position to replicate his style or level of play. 

Obviously you can understand the unique circumstances that elicits conversations about him every once in a while, especially when discussing the safety position. 

Its no biggie. 

It would seem Cravens has the ability to flourish as inside the box gap filling safety. Allowing him to play make and fill holes as the last line of defense. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There was a lot of talk that we had our eye on Collins in the 2nd round but we were jumped by NYG and never had a chance. 

No way should have gone at 5 which was the only chance we had to take him 

With the way he's playing I would have taken him with a top-five pick of course we didn't know he was going to play like this but you never know how each player is going to play at any spot you take them

We took their guy, they took ours with Landon.

I'm concerned about Cravens being a full-time anything. ILB would be where I'd have him most to keep him on the field. IMO, he's too slow to play S full-time. He does seem smart tho. I wonder how hard it will be for him to succeed with us and his moms is a diehard cowboy fan??

Now if we were to draft a Budda Baker type and run a cover 3 then yeah he'd have a good shot at SS IMO.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:51 AM, Dissident2 said:

As stated above, Cooley called for this a few weeks ago, and he asked Gruden about it directly on the Coach's Show. Gruden gave a pretty emphatic "no" at the time. Sounds like he's come around to Cooley's wisdom. Cooley was also calling for Goldson to be benched early in the year, and that finally happened. Dude's a pretty good judge of film, I think. 

Cooley is a football savant and he knows this team inside and out.  That said, he is also a homer and huge fan.  His commentary is some of the best around, though. 

One of the reasons (and there are plenty others) that I hate Barry is because he didn't start Su right of the bad at SS.  If you guys have doubts he is going to be a good one there just watch the pick against Eli to seal the game against the Giants week 3.  The dude is just too small to begin with as ILB or play 100 close to the line.  But as a SS he can be all over the box and cover TEs.  As for his speed, not too many TEs have much better speed.

As for Taylor, anyone the even doubts this guy would have been HOF FS is nuts.  yes he did have a few games with growing pains, especially his second season but that is because he basically asked him to do everything since the rest of our D was mediocre.  The dude (may he rest in peace) had the range and speed of Ed Reed with the strength and tackling ability of any Lott or hell any other SS you want to name.  You guys doubt that the only playoff game we won since 1999 was because of him?  

if Sean Taylor right now was on this team as a FS, we probably playing for a 14-2 record this sunday not just make it into the playoffs.

Archived