Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Cravens move to SS full-time???

Renegade7

Move Cravens to full-time SS???  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Move Cravens to full-time SS???

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I like him as a nickle backer, a Monte Coleman type guy, more than as a safety. Thing is, I think that the nicklebacker with the pass crazy NFL and all the really good TEs is probably a starter vs. a reserve. My concern is whether the hits he is taking as a lb are more than he can take. He seems to have gotten hurt a lot this year. I'm not sure if that's a rookie thing, a size thing, a position thing, or just a bad luck thing. If he can physically play the position, nicklebacker (which is probably more suited to a 4-3) seems the best way to go.

He plays nickel anyway.  He's not in the 3-4 personnel, just he nickel defense.  We play a lot more nickel than 3-4.

4 minutes ago, BobGriffin said:

Sua can play strong safety in a Cover 3/Cover 1 defense where the SS plays primarily in the box, blitzing, playing man on backs/tight ends, and underneath zones. We would need to pair him with a a true free safety though and they don't grow on trees.  

That seems like the defense Barry wants to play anyway.  

15 minutes ago, BobGriffin said:

Sua can play strong safety in a Cover 3/Cover 1 defense where the SS plays primarily in the box, blitzing, playing man on backs/tight ends, and underneath zones. We would need to pair him with a a true free safety though and they don't grow on trees.  

Yep but we need a DC who can play him to those strengths. No more wasting him at ILB.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Sean Taylor's legend has also grown somewhat out of proportion to his performance.

I've never seen players do to this day what he did. He made mistakes. Every player does. But his legend is 100% valid and to credit your post he was only getting better.

48 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Just picture earl thomas, but 5inches taller and 30 pounds heavier 

Obviously this helped with physics but he hit way harder. Was way more of a gambler and had a linebacker mentality when it came to punishing potential yardage gainers. Taylor was the greatest safety prospect of all time period. Nobody is telling me different. Rip

but to add to cravens. Yes please! A lot of us have been calling for this. He has the instincts to play safety. He can do it. People say he is slow but technically so was lynch and now weddlle. 

He isnt slow slow on the field. He has great Burst and pursuit. 

18 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I've never seen players do to this day what he did. He made mistakes. Every player does. But his legend is 100% valid and to credit your post he was only getting better.

Obviously this helped with physics but he hit way harder. Was way more of a gambler and had a linebacker mentality when it came to punishing potential yardage gainers. Taylor was the greatest safety prospect of all time period. Nobody is telling me different. Rip

No doubt, my point was, Earl Thomas will be in the hall of fame most likely one day and Taylor was superior on a physical talent level. 

Cravens can absolutely play Strong Safety....I think 40 times can be overrated....it's about how fast you play...he has good instincts.

Having said that, he should never be put in position to be the single high safety......but as an in the box Safety or cover 2; he will do well.

He can still play as a Nickel or Dime Linebacker in certain situations......bottom line is that we need our best players on the field.

Personally I rather have two safety's with big range...but finding good free safety's is a hell, so finding two is probally impossible. 

I just don't see him line up deep. 

Su'a probally would be best in a non starting role. Use him as a flexibel player...but we lack D talent to use him that way. So Yeah...we will see. I do like him. 

6 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

The answer is a solid NO.  I cannot believe what I'm seeing from people.  This guy is not a safety.  I have been a huge USC fan forever and it's hard for me to admit he's just a nickel backer. Sure,he can make plays.  But you guys are nuts if you want to make him a safety full tine.  he's not the answer there, period.  Look elsewhere 

Cravens would be considered slow 

I wish I could dislike this.  I think you're a good poster, but this is just wrong.  Cravens has no business on the back end 

I'm not sure how you can be so certain about this. His speed is fine for strong safety.

I'd like to see us sign and draft a FS. Move Cravens to SS for most running downs, then have him move to nickel or joker on passing downs and have both Frees in the back.

Cooley called for this about 3-4 weeks ago? Interesting the change finally happened with 2 weeks left to play. To me this screams intervention. Which could mean Barry days are numbered. Sucks he didn't have the talent to work with on d. Best case scenario, Cravens turns into a legitimate building block to point our backfield In the right direction. That said I wonder how Bree would do at free safety.

19 minutes ago, righteousbowi said:

That said I wonder how Bree would do at free safety.

My dad has been mentioning that for the last couple weeks, but I feel the whole CB to S convo usually comes up with guys that aren't doing well at CB to help the S position.  I know it looks like he's been getting lite on fire, but I still believe Breeland's strength is press coverage.  Him in space just looks weird, so I'd rather keep him at corner then ask him to play FS.  Dude is 24 with little to no pass rush, he needs more time, imo, before saying he either needs to switch positions or leave.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep but we need a DC who can play him to those strengths. No more wasting him at ILB.

This has been one of my biggest problems with Barry, and I've seen this before.  I don't get the vibe that he centers his defense around what he has, and instead tries to put square pegs in round holes all game.  Granted he is talent deficient, but he comes across like a "the system is the system is the system" type of guys.  Using one of your best defensive prospects in a role that will take years for him to master is a recipe for disaster in the present, and that's what we're getting in 2016.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This has been one of my biggest problems with Barry, and I've seen this before.  I don't get the vibe that he centers his defense around what he has, and instead tries to put square pegs in round holes all game.  Granted he is talent deficient, but he comes across like a "the system is the system is the system" type of guys.  Using one of your best defensive prospects in a role that will take years for him to master is a recipe for disaster in the present, and that's what we're getting in 2016.

THe system is fine.  You can tell guys are almost there to get Ints but we have terrible talent to execute it.

Just now, skinfan2k said:

THe system is fine.  You can tell guys are almost there to get Ints but we have terrible talent to execute it.

Close only counts in horseshoes.  I'll give you that the talent is terrible, but he's dug in man, why it took him over a quarter season to use Norman to help limit #1 WRs while Breeland was getting turned into a turnstile in September.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Close only counts in horseshoes.  I'll give you that the talent is terrible, but he's dug in man, why it took him over a quarter season to use Norman to help limit #1 WRs while Breeland was getting turned into a turnstile in September.

You realize the havoc that causes when your #1 CB travels.  Look at the seahawks. Sherman stays on 1 side.  Very few top corners actually travel.  It causes confusion to the other 10 by having 1 guy travel

i think he's naturally a safety.. he has the speed and the size to be a crushing hitter, and he's smart.

I'm for it.

What we do at ILB lately is to grab guys off the street and make them starters, expect 5th round picks to start, and try to convert a guy.

Lets go get some real linebackers who play linebacker and let safeties be safeties. 

What i hear is we want to convert a safety to linebacker so we can replace the cornerbacks we converted to safeties with draft picks or free agents.

(and we convert ends to nose tackles, but that's another story. i say these are even more reasons we convert Joe Barry to unemployed this offseason.)

~Bang

Just now, skinfan2k said:

You realize the havoc that causes when your #1 CB travels.  Look at the seahawks. Sherman stays on 1 side.  Very few top corners actually travel.  It causes confusion to the other 10 by having 1 guy travel

I'll side with what actual players have said about the situation in that well communicating teams can pull it off, and we eventually tried to do it without looking ridiculous doing it.  It's not easy, but not impossible either.

11 hours ago, Burgold said:

Sean Taylor's legend has also grown somewhat out of proportion to his performance. He was on the verge of being a great player and maybe was a great player, but he also had quite a few rough games and blew a number of plays whether it was because of penalties or just bone headed misses. By far, he was our best safety, but he wasn't perfect and he wasn't always Superman.

In a way I agree with you, although he had the potential to be one of the best to ever play the position, it was a potential never fully realized because his life was cut short. He sometimes lacked discipline, which would lead to penalties and mistakes, but he seemed to be growing up when he was taken from the world. In that sense, you could say he was "on the verge" of greatness.

On the other hand, there is no denying the rare athletic talent he had. He hit like a LB and ran like a CB. He had this attitude that made him fearsome to opposing receivers running in his zone. He had a nose for the football. He made big time impact plays regularly. His coaches and teammates loved him. In that sense, he was already a great player.

Anyway, Cravens is reminiscent of Taylor in some ways, he has the size and the nose for the football, but he wasn't blessed with Taylor's speed. We're still looking for the next Sean Taylor. We really haven't had good safety play since he passed in 2007.

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll side with what actual players have said about the situation in that well communicating teams can pull it off, and we eventually tried to do it without looking ridiculous doing it.  It's not easy, but not impossible either.

True. I dont trust the idiots we have now :)

I'm very happy with the Scherff pick, it was the right pick...love Scherff!!.. with that said I was really hoping we were going to take Collins to try to bring that spark back into the safety position that hasn't been there since you know who's been gone, especially with a combination of the passion he has when he plays and how much he idolized and loved Sean Taylor. Fast forward a year and we pick a player who also loved Sean Taylor and idolized him I would love nothing more than to see Cravens in the safety position...watching Collins(thank god he landed in the NFC east so I can watch him 6 games a year..love the way he plays and it's easier rooting for him cuz he's a giant)makes me believe Cravens would do wonders and help out that part of the defense.

47 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Jarius Byrd ran 4.68 and he's not a bad FS.  Cravens is plenty fast.  I expect him to be an asset for us at SS.  Personally, I'm not sure why they had him at ILB in the first place.  

I believe he was dealing with a groin injury when he got those numbers. Byrd has much better agility than Cravens. It's not a fair comparison.

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Those are fighting words around these parts!

They really shouldn't be. As late into his career as 2006 there were fans that were pretty annoyed with his play. He was having a fantastic, Pro Bowl 2007 season, but if I'm being 100% honest and objective, there's really no way to know if that was just a great year or something he would sustain for the next 6-8 seasons. It doesn't take away from his talent and, more importantly, the tragedy that took place. But, from a strictly football perspective, I've always been a little uncomfortable with how Taylor has taken on a Ronnie Lott persona after his death. 

Archived