Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winning the Toss - Defer or Receive?

LetThePointsSoar

Winning the toss: Do you continue to defer or receive?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. So when we win, should we defer or receive?

• Defer - follow the conventional wisdom
    • Receive - put our best unit on the field early
    • Other - Explain

So I've seen this debated in articles this week, but haven't seen much of the discussion yet here unless I missed it (in which case, mods please close).  But for me personally, it's driving me crazy to continue to see us throw our defense out there first week after week after week, and we've deferred all 8 times this year we've won the toss.  So simple question, if we win a toss, should we be deferring, or receiving?

It depends on the team and opponent. With this team, I'd rather see them take the ball and immediately put the pressure on the other team. The offense is usually pretty good and the defense is not. If the Redskins had a competent defense, then deferring is the way to go. There is no one right answer since it could vary from team to team, game to game, and year to year. 

i don't really think it makes a difference tbh.... i mean, unless you think scoring at the end of the second and scoring at the start of the third will cause your opponent to give up.... the second possession of the game for the Panthers, it really looked like cam was packing it in like he did during the super bowl.... but then our offense laid and egg and it rejunvinated him and the rest is history...

With how slow our offense has been starting lately, I don't think it matters much. I still think strategically it makes the most sense to start with the ball in the 3rd quarter. If you're trailing you can start your comeback, if you're ahead you can really put your foot on the other team's throat. Also take into account the crowd tends to be a lot less enthusiastic after halftime(people getting back to their seats, etc.)as opposed to the start of the game and as an offense you want it as quiet as possible.

We had a opportunity yet again to hit the double possession against the panthers.  We got the ball at 1:47 before the half and we went 3 and out when down 13-9.  We could have scored before the half to take the lead.  We then received the ball after the half, but we ran it out of the endzone and only got it to the 15. We obviously fumbled and then carolina scored the TD. 

In most situations, I think you follow conventional wisdom.  The way we are setup, I think you have no choice but to take the ball and hope to score first and set the tone.  All I could think when the Redskins app told me we won the toss and deferred is that Jay didn't want to go against what he's been doing as it would look as if he didn't believe in his defense.

Under normal circumstances, I say that you defer.  With this defense, it's almost a given that you're going to be behind when you get the ball for the first time, and that puts added pressure on the offense.  If you start with the ball, at least you're even. 

I understand it takes the opportunity for a "2-fer" off the table at the end of the half and beginning of the second half, but I think that the crap early defense is actually affecting the psyche of the offense, and they immediately come out pressing.

i once heard that everyone defers not because of the "2fer" because there is no way you can guarantee you get the last position of the first half, but the real reason everyone defers is because NFL halftime is too short.    This guarantees that every stadium in the NFL is the most empty at the start of the 3rd qtr.   So if you are the home team and you defer you get the ball when your home stadium is empty thus by the time the other team gets the ball back, you have the crowd w/ you.   and if you are the away team you defer that way you can start the 2nd half w/ a quiet stadium.   

All that said and the chance to get a 2fer is enough for me to defer every time. 

I still like deferring, despite the fact that I can't recall the last time we've held our opponent on the opening drive. There are a couple reasons...

1) You have an entire game to make up for whatever points you give up

2) The opening drive of the 2nd half is deeper into a game that is more fleshed out...you have an opportunity to change momentum or really set a tone for the final 30 minutes

3) If things do work out (no guarantee) you have the opportunity to score on back-to-back possessions - it happened in our first game vs. Dallas

1 hour ago, melbel said:

You have one of the most powerful offenses in the NFL...and a defense that is suspect....and you ELECT to put your defense out there first??

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't get this logic.  If the defense is just going to give up a touchdown in response, then what's the fuss about setting the tone in the second half as opposed to the first?

It's also not like our first 15 plays are dependent upon an opponent scoring on the first drive or not.  Nothing changes at that point.

I chose "Other" but i probably should have chosen "defer" after i wrote this, and now can't go change it. 
So I have fouled the poll.

On the road, i want to defer because of the crowd factor. it is VERY true that the crowd is smaller and not nearly as vocal for the beginning of the second half. On the road, i'd rather have the ball second.

On the road, i will give it to their offense first even if my defense is bad, because even with a bad D, the odds against an opening drive TD are still pretty long, for one, and for two, the crowd. Typically the crowd in the first quarter is loud, lubed and ready to expel all the energy they're been building for a few hours of tailgating.

So let them waste it on their offense. They can either settle down, or be possibly too loud for their offense to operate.. any distraction is good, and if you get a quick 3 and out, the crowd deflates somewhat.. you have a TV timeout, you may have even a second TV timeout after the punt play. 

On the road, if i can make a couple of nice plays, break up a pass, make a big hit, i can shut the crowd up early.

If i'm at home, i defer because the crowd is again, loud, lubed and ready, so let them scream at the opposing offense first. IF the defense can make a couple of quick plays, break up a pass, make a big hit, the crowd gets even more juiced. Momentum can build if they force a punt,, and again, after the half, many of them are out of their seats, home or away.. quiet is fine for the offense. By the time everyone gets back with a fresh beer and an empty bladder, the opponent is getting the ball after we have scored, and they can yell some more.

i also like the idea of getting the two-fer,, scoring before the half and getting the ball back and potentially scoring again. If i win the toss, i can at least have that chance if we score. if i took the ball, i don't.

You can pull away like that, or do a lot of ground-gaining if a comeback is needed.

~Bang

I've always felt like whichever side of the ball you were the strongest on, put that unit on the field first and set the tone. Defense defer, offense receive.

I simply do not understand why we keep deferring, putting this sorry ass defense out on the field first just to go down 7-0 immediately, later followed up by the usual disastrous second half possession.

Stop

I say defer every time,  The crowd is into it at the beginning but likely are still getting drinks/snacks/bathroom right after halftime.  So if we are home team, we want the opponent out there while the crowd is all there, if we are on the road we would want the ball just after halftime when alot of the crowd is not yet back in there seats.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've always felt like whichever side of the ball you were the strongest on, put that unit on the field first and set the tone. Defense defer, offense receive.

I'm a defer guy, but there's certainly nothing wrong with this logic either.  This year's team might be better off getting the ball out of the gate.

If both sides of the ball are equal, I'd always prefer to defer (especially in big/emotional games).  I always feel that it's easier on defense to channel that emotion and energy into good play than it is on offense.  And there's always that feeling that if you get a stop on the first series, you gain an advantage to start the second half.  Of course, we can't stop a team of toddlers right now, so... 

Archived