Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Team Isn't Ready..... Now What?

shakinaiken

If we dont get a very good MLB or 2 average LB's and a starting caliber safety, I will be pissed. One or two of those need to come from free agency.

Throw in a solid d lineman that isnt over the hill to help out Baker and we can get to a middle of the pack defense. Not even asking for a lot. Just middle of the ****ing pack.

I am over these historically bad defenses. One year it was yards, this year it is 3rd down. Can we not be on the verge of the worst ever in some category for one season and just play average defense?

1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

I cannot belive people are not more upset about Jordan Reed getting himself thrown out of the game... 

It was boneheaded no doubt.  The Panthers knew he was hurt and they were putting hits on him.  He shouldn't have been in the game.  I mean we know he's not a good blocker even when he's healthy, so why were they asking him to inline block on running plays?  And they even tried to run it to his side for god sakes.  I put that on Jay.  Guy can't block, he can barely catch the ball, he's not helping the team.  Then something like that happens and kills your chances of scoring a TD.    

Now what? We play in Chicago for what could be our last meaningful game of the season, then we play the Giants, and depending on what happens, we might get 1 extra game this season.  Either way, the offseason looms and we continue to build. I'm still super happy with the direction of the franchise considering where we were this time 2 seasons ago.

The over reactions here are to be expected, but it shows a stunning lack of perspective as usual.  This team was not going to be a real contender this year.  I knew that and was settled in for the ride. I've said in other threads and on twitter - it's Christmas week and we're still playing meaningful games for the second year in a row.  We're 1 win away from securing 2 winning seasons in a row. 

Time to r-e-l-a-x.

32 minutes ago, drowland said:

It was boneheaded no doubt.  The Panthers knew he was hurt and they were putting hits on him.  He shouldn't have been in the game.  I mean we know he's not a good blocker even when he's healthy, so why were they asking him to inline block on running plays?  And they even tried to run it to his side for god sakes.  I put that on Jay.  Guy can't block, he can barely catch the ball, he's not helping the team.  Then something like that happens and kills your chances of scoring a TD.    

I agree that the coaches need to get him out of there. He's also accountable to pat his helmet, raise his hand, or do whatever it is they do to signal that they can't go. We should have noticed from the sideline, but if you can't play you can't play. I was concerned he was going to cost us. Not the way he did (the penalty), but I was sure he'd fumble or drop a pass due to the shoulder. 

1 hour ago, PigskinPhat said:

The defense played well enough to win the game. The offense laid an egg when it counts most.

I agree.  They forced a field goal after a turn over and forced several punts (we haven't seen that in a while!)  Now, they weren't dominant but they didn't hold the team back.  The offense just could not get any traction and I put 75% of the blame on the lack of a running game.  We got no movement whatsoever.  I really feel for Fat Rob cause that guy is a straight up warrior!  The coach in me wants to crap blue bananas when I see lineman and tight ends (Carrier & Davis) stand around as Kelley is literally dragging 3 or more defenders for every inch.  You see most teams come in to punish defenders and help out their guy but not us!  We stand around like construction workers with a shovel not looking for work!  It's damned embarrassing!

Fire Callahan and hire Grimm to coach this Oline.  I guarantee you that you will see some nastiness in the run game then!

Another thing that i hated was taking the ball out of the end zone to start the second half.

I know it looks like hindsight considering what happened but its not.

Any smart nfl coach should tell his return man that if there's any possible way to get a touchback then do it, and that includes reaching a foot back to touch the goal line as you catch it or whatever it takes.

With the new rule its beyond asinine to take a ball deliberately out of the end zone. 

2 hours ago, Ashburn Dave said:

This game was over when we deferred the coin toss again.  I understand the reasoning but it only works when you can stop them.  We are a scoring team with no defense.  Get the ball and score first to help out your defense.  Just don't get it.

I agree 100%. You don't defer with our defense.

1 hour ago, drowland said:

I dont put that on Jay.  I put it on the players who think of themselves more than the team.  If you want the team to succeed and you are not 100%, you take yourself out of the game

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I dont put that on Jay.  I put it on the players who think of themselves more than the team.  If you want the team to succeed and you are not 100%, you take yourself out of the game

So you're ok with the coach calling a run to Reed's side in a short yardage situation?  That's 100% on the coach.  There are spotters in the booth that could see what was happening on the field.  He'd already come out earlier in the game in pain.  It's Jay's job to manage his players.  Jay can't always manage player emotions like throwing a punch, but he can damn well pull a guy off the field when he was clearly hurt.  

5 minutes ago, drowland said:

So you're ok with the coach calling a run to Reed's side in a short yardage situation?  That's 100% on the coach.  There are spotters in the booth that could see what was happening on the field.  He'd already come out earlier in the game in pain.  It's Jay's job to manage his players.  Jay can't always manage player emotions like throwing a punch, but he can damn well pull a guy off the field when he was clearly hurt.  

Yes.  Because if you are in the game, you shoudl be expected to do your job. 

This is what I do, after we loose to Da Bears and get plowed over by the Giants:

Fire Barry

Bring in a 4-3 DC. Pick one. I almost don't care at this point. Maybe Singletarty (see below)

Throw some money around in FA, at DL, LB and Secondary. and LG, RT, and C

Ask Breeland if he's gonna sulk this season too. If so? BYE!

Ask Callahan to make what we have in our OL to be MUCH MORE PHYSICAL!!!!!!!!!!! Or kill them trying.

Consider why you didn't go after a DL before the 5th round in a DL talented draft for 2016?

Don't make that mistake in 2017 Go hard after defense, and OL. But only if they are nasty physical maulers.

In the offseason, and really think this falls on Gruden, turn this team into a bunch of nasties. Men that go out to dominate. Show games of the 80's Redskins to the OL. Show games of the 85' Bears, and the Eagles when Buddy Ryan coached them to the entire Defense.

Push them.

See what happens.

13 hours ago, SKINSFAN87 said:

The Redskins failed on so many levels tonight, it was a terrible game. Offense/Defense stunk, special teams not good. Our coaching staff can't make adjustments when needed, and if Joe Barry is still on this staff next year, I will be shocked. Yes we have had some injuries but that's no excuse. This is why Washington will never be looked at as a contending team.

We did fail on many levels and during the game, I felt like the season was over - we just aren't good enough with the stronger teams.  And, carolina is a stronger team, even though their record doesn't show it.  Without the help of the refs, we get blown out last night.

But, today I feel a little better.  Many of the problems (on offense) were singular breakdowns.  On 2nd down, Jax goes out of bounds 2 yards shy of the first.  This happened after he dropped a 3rd down pass.  I was so pissed at him.  Just cut inside and get the first.  Sure enough, we don't convert and we punt.  Jax made up for it later with 2 beautiful sideline catches.  Also on 3rd down, Garcon drops a ball in his hands.  If he makes the catch, it is first down.  That was his first drop of the year (yes, year) where the ball was catchable.  I mention these plays because they both would have extended drives, keeping our D off the field and our O moving toward points.  Both "mistakes" were made by red/blue chip players.

I have heard rumors that Kirk had some WRs running open deep, but he chose to check down.  This means the offense (coach) was calling a few good plays, but our QB had reason (or not) too get rid of the ball quickly.  Not a huge deal. 

It was a bad game by our O.

It was a bad game by our special teams.

It was a typical game by our D.  They played good enough for us to win if our other units perform at their season average levels. 

One of the first replies to this topic had the best answer to the topic:  Stay the course.  We knew heading into the season we still had more work to do in rebuilding.  The carolina game changes nothing in that sense.  We still need plenty of new blood on the D side (including a coach - I think)  and our O is still a powerhouse.  We need to trust our GM.  He has us going in the right directions.  2 years in a row, we are playing meaningful games late in December.  That is the beginning of something good.

42 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Anyone puzzled at why all the runs last night seemed to be up the middle?  The strength of this O-line is their athleticism.  I am curious as to why they didn't try more runs to the outside that allow Trent to get out into the open field and maul some linebackers.   

I figured, late in the game when we had to keep the chains moving, Kirk would run a read option QB keeper.  It never happened.  We run the read option, but if the QB never keeps it, the DE/OLB can cheat in and ignore the QB.

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

The only issue on the line is Lauvao.  Morgan Moses is literally playign on 1 ankle right now

Unless his job is to block 3 DL then you are mistaken. For most of the season, multiple DL have been blowing up run plays repeatedly. Trent is elite, Lauvao a backup, Long is average, Scherff is average, a healthy Moses is above average. Our interior better start improving in a hurry. 

There are so many things the offense doesn't run or at least TRY to run to keep them off guard, especially a good defense.

Gruden's barely gotten around to throwing to Kelley? After 13 weeks?  Really?

I've seen where some people ****ed about Gruden when he was in Cincy, that he 'got lost in the moment' alot.  Now I know exactly what they're talking about.

But if Gruden keeps Barry around, I hope Dan fires both of them. I'm absolutely sick of this ****ing brother-in-arms  scratch my back i'll scratch yours bull**** thats been going on with this team in what seems forever.  Its a ****ing social club, not a football organization. There is no defending Barry; he sucks, he's dumb as a peanut in a pile of ****, nothing on his resume' says he could do the job, and i'll bet the players don't like him either. 

And now, if Gruden sticks with Barry, then I hope both of them are fired. Mr. Snyder, I wish that you viewed this forum, especially this thread, because there are a large number of nuggets of info here that should explain the reason to fire Barry now, and if Gruden even blinks, then fire his ****ing ass too. 

My apologies, I don't usually get this wound up, but goddamnit this is bull**** and it has to stop now!  I'm tired of seeing the team i grew up cheering for to be turned into a **** bath of crappy personnel and bums in uniforms off the street.

Archived