Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Team Isn't Ready..... Now What?

shakinaiken

Tonight's game was just another example of a team still building going up against a team that has a legitimate roster and are just experiencing a down season for a bunch of reasons, but if you can't see that Carolina is simply a better team overall? I don't know what to say.  

We have to be honest in our assessment.  W/L records are not the be all/end all of how good and bad teams are.  In the end, yes they matter as far as what will happen in the current season, but in the big picture, if your roster is better, you are still a better team, and the Panthers 53 is better. It's the same reminder we got against Green Bay last season in the wild card game.

There is nothing really to be mad about.  The defense sucks.....it just simply sucks, and it isn't changing until next season at the earliest and even that is wishful thinking to see a significant improvement in a single offseason.

The offense?  Once again, no guts.  When I say "guts" I mean in terms of the trenches.  The pass blocking was fine, but the run blocking was awful. Every yard Kelley got tonight he basically had to figure out on his own. 

7 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

I agree. He has immunity from this fanbase, and I'm not sure why

I submit the years 1996-2009 for consideration.

He doesn't have immunity, he just has more than 2 years before some of us start weilding pitch forks.

I'm sure you can find people that want him gone already.

Defense has been horrible for a long time now. 

Every year we talk about the secondary.

Norman Is A good fit. Breland is now a bum and this team hasn't had a safety on the team from the time the world lost Sean Taylor.

Maybe this year they might actually draft defense in the 1st rd instead of a WR that hasn't played yet.

1 minute ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Tonight was the most disappointing game in a long time, because it even crushes my hope for the long term. How is this team going to change much for next year? 

I actually disagree.  New defensive coordinator (someone with history of turning it around or just someone really good) and the Redskins can have a top 10-15 defense.  That's all it would take.  The offense is REALLY close. They are a center and a better RB away.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Still confused as to why GMSM gets zero blame for this like he isn't the GM lol

It's a good question.  The offense has been the best thing about this team but Crowder, Sheirff, Kelly and Davis are the only impactful players he added.  Everyone else was already here.  

The defense is a mess with only Norman the really big impact player who fell in Scot's lap.

I understand it's a process and I'm glad he hasn't gone all Vinny in FA, but simply his drafts haven't produced enough.

1 minute ago, lavar1156 said:

McCloughan **** the bed with the defense this off-season. 

I love Scott, but I think this is accurate. He signed mediocre has-beens in Ziggy Hood, and was relying on the health of a man who ruptured his achilles twice, hoping for a miraculous return. He also drafted "potential" playmaker Preston Smith, who has diminished in aptitude, and has not flashed at all. He deserves, at the very least, some review process.  

3 minutes ago, -mando- said:

One thing that is obvious to me after these lackluster showings is that this team fails at preparation and that falls on the coaching staff.  Gruden does not know how to get this team ready to play on top of having a subpar d coordinator.  Its a recipe for disaster.

I don't know what it is about our coaches but they seem to play call like robots.  The pass blocking was just fine. Kirk was hit a total of one time tonight, he was barely ever rushed on his throws (besides the final drive) yet our coaches refused to call plays that work against a zone defense, which allow your WRs and TE's to run down field and find the empty parts of the field.  This isn't re-inventing the wheel of strategy, it is common sense.  It is exactly what Carolina was doing with all those throws to the middle of the field.  It was just drop back, wait wait.....*random guy is sitting in soft patch of zone*    Why do our coaches not do this?

This team isn't a playoff team. It is way way way too one dimensional. The only thing this team does at an above average level is pass the ball. Our run game is a non factor and the D is laughably bad. The Special Teams isn't much to write home about either with a K that is missing Ks left and right, no blocking ever on PRs, and a P that constantly outkicks the coverage.

The Cousins situation is a tricky one. You HAVE to have a QB to win in the NFL, you just have to. But they cost money. I still like Cousins. Tonight was a terrible game no doubt. It's one of those games a good team with more balance can win on the backs of their D or the run game. The problem with this team right now is Cousins basically has to be elite for this team to even have a chance. If he isn't we can't win and if he has a bad game, forget it we look like the Browns.

I've been a staunch advocate of resigning Cousins but if some team offers 2 or more first round picks for Cousins I think you have to at least consider it. With two premium draft picks and the cap money saved you could completely turn your D around. We might take a hit in the W-L record but in the long run we might be a better team. With that said, I think I'd still prefer keeping Cousins. Its just way too hard to find a QB. I'm not gonna let one terrible game overrule what has still been a pretty damn good season.

Barry isn't a good D.C., but the lack of talent is alarming. We have at least four guys starting right now that are on par with street FAs(Whitner, Ihenacho, Foster, and Compton/Spaight although Spaight is a young guy and could improve). We have no real difference maker. We have a few good players like Kerrigan and Baker, Norman is an elite CB but really an elite CB doesn't do much as teams can just not throw at him(and without a pass rush they can be beat too). If they want to replace him I'm okay with that, but the talent has to be upgraded SIGNIFICANTLY. The Panthers LB that started in place of Keuchley was faster and more athletic than just about everyone on our D.

Also as far as the GM goes, he spent the first two seasons building the offense. That much is obvious.  There is no way he goes into the offseason not looking to work solely on the defense.  The guy knows what he is doing.  In fact I was shocked that he looked to go after the offense first, in the first place, since his history with San Fran & Seattle is building a stout defense as the primary blue print.   Do people think he forgot about this all of the sudden?  The 49ers and Seattle defenses were built over YEARS, not one offseason.  Those teams were/are full of draft picks that none one had heard of until most had been around for a few seasons and everything started gelling and coming together.   A lot of the youngsters we have out there, we have no idea what they will look like in a season or two.   

Just now, Warhead36 said:

This team isn't a playoff team. It is way way way too one dimensional. The only thing this team does at an above average level is pass the ball. Our run game is a non factor and the D is laughably bad. The Special Teams isn't much to write home about either with a K that is missing Ks left and right, no blocking ever on PRs, and a P that constantly outkicks the coverage.

The Cousins situation is a tricky one. You HAVE to have a QB to win in the NFL, you just have to. But they cost money. I still like Cousins. Tonight was a terrible game no doubt. It's one of those games a good team with more balance can win on the backs of their D or the run game. The problem with this team right now is Cousins basically has to be elite for this team to even have a chance. If he isn't we can't win and if he has a bad game, forget it we look like the Browns.

With Cousins I don't know man.....like, his stats suggest is pretty good, but there is something about his DNA in certain games that worry me about him being the QB when the team is trying to get to the next level.  Right now the team is still building and learning to be consistent, but they aren't anything more than a "squeak into the playoffs" ceiling caliber team, and it is providing Cousins time to also improve himself and learn from game film about the better defenses he faces and how they disguise things etc etc.......but in the back of my head there is something about the ol' "eyeball test" that feels off about him as far as being a championship level QB.  On the bright side, this team is 2-3 seasons away from being that regardless of the QB so I think you do what you can to keep him around at least a little while longer anyway?

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

There is nothing really to be mad about.  The defense sucks.....it just simply sucks, and it isn't changing until next season at the earliest and even that is wishful thinking to see a significant improvement in a single offseason.

But the Defense showed up tonight, like it has is some crucial games this season. Continuity is usually a favorable quality moving forward, so does Joe Barry get another year? Perhaps with an influx of "potential" talent acquired via offseason/draft?

1 minute ago, shakinaiken said:

But the Defense showed up tonight, like it has is some crucial games this season. Continuity is usually a favorable quality moving forward, so does Joe Barry get another year? Perhaps with an influx of "potential" talent acquired via offseason/draft?

I kind of agree. The defense wasn't good, way too many uncovered receivers and tight ends to say that, but it wasn't terrible. They actually gave the 'skins a chance. 

How you could not go for the onsides kick though was pretty incredible. Stupid really.

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Also as far as the GM goes, he spent the first two seasons building the offense. That much is obvious.  There is no way he goes into the offseason not looking to work solely on the defense.  The guy knows what he is doing.  In fact I was shocked that he looked to go after the offense first, in the first place, since his history with San Fran & Seattle is building a stout defense as the primary blue print.   Do people think he forgot about this all of the sudden?  The 49ers and Seattle defenses were built over YEARS, not one offseason.  Those teams were/are full of draft picks that none one had heard of until most had been around for a few seasons and everything started gelling and coming together.   A lot of the youngsters we have out there, we have no idea what they will look like in a season or two.   

The offense was mostly already in place.  Cousins, Reed, Williams, Jackson, Garçon, Moses, Lauvao, Long, Thompson were already here before Scot.  Crowder and Sheirff were drafted.  Kelly took over for a disappointing Matt Jones.  Vernon David was a nice addition.  But that's all he added.  You can give Scot credit for not tearing it apart, but he didn't build it.

15 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Tonight's game was just another example of a team still building going up against a team that has a legitimate roster and are just experiencing a down season for a bunch of reasons, but if you can't see that Carolina is simply a better team overall? I don't know what to say.  

We have to be honest in our assessment.  W/L records are not the be all/end all of how good and bad teams are.  In the end, yes they matter as far as what will happen in the current season, but in the big picture, if your roster is better, you are still a better team, and the Panthers 53 is better. It's the same reminder we got against Green Bay last season in the wild card game.

The offense?  Once again, no guts.  When I say "guts" I mean in terms of the trenches.  The pass blocking was fine, but the run blocking was awful. Every yard Kelley got tonight he basically had to figure out on his own. 

Was Arizona a better team too? The same Arizona that lost at home to New Orleans? Carolina has been getting their butts handed to them all year. They had a gimpy QB. Their best defensive player was out. No Josh Norman. And they kicked our rear ends at home in a game we desperately needed.

Archived