Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Team Isn't Ready..... Now What?

shakinaiken

Just now, DM72 said:

Was Arizona a better team too? The same Arizona that lost at home to New Orleans? Carolina has been getting their butts handed to them all year. They had a gimpy QB. Their best defensive player was out. No Josh Norman. And they kicked our rear ends at home in a game we desperately needed.

I would say they are a better roster then ours yes.  To me they are a similar situation as Carolina.   Arizona based on their roster was predicted to be much better this season.  Underachieving teams have an odd way of showing up when you least expect it.  That and the 'Skins defense is just historically bad at this point.

Oh and I do agree as frustrating as the defense is to watch, the offense was pretty bad too.  What else can this be pinned on? The coaches? Sure, throw them in there too as being less good then the opposition most weeks. 

8 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

But the Defense showed up tonight, like it has is some crucial games this season. Continuity is usually a favorable quality moving forward, so does Joe Barry get another year? Perhaps with an influx of "potential" talent acquired via offseason/draft?

They showed up but they were still pretty bad overall compared to other defenses around the league.  They were getting abused by the run game and missing tackles all over the field. Got gashed occasionally in the passing game. No turnovers.

That's not good defense. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I would say they are a better roster then ours yes.  To me they are a similar situation as Carolina.   Arizona based on their roster was predicted to be much better this season.  Underachieving teams have an odd way of showing up when you least expect it. 

These underachieving teams seems to always show up against us but rarely against anyone else. That can't be a coincidence. 

1 minute ago, sportjunkie07 said:

They showed up but they were still pretty bad overall compared to other defenses around the league.  They were getting abused by the run game and missing tackles all over the field. Got gashed occasionally in the passing game. No turnovers.

That's not good defense. 

But the argument is he lacks legitimately good players to successfully run his schemes. Defensively, this team is depleted talent wise

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I kind of agree. The defense wasn't good, way too many uncovered receivers and tight ends to say that, but it wasn't terrible. They actually gave the 'skins a chance. 

How you could not go for the onsides kick though was pretty incredible. Stupid really.

So, in your opinion, does Barry get another year?

2 minutes ago, DM72 said:

These underachieving teams seems to always show up against us but rarely against anyone else. That can't be a coincidence. 

Hey, it's not Barry's fault the NFL scheduled 16 first ballot HOF QBs to play against the Redskins in a row! F Mara.

Just now, shakinaiken said:

But the argument is he lacks legitimately good players to successfully run his schemes. Defensively, this team is depleted talent wise

Sure, but a good coach can elevate a poor roster. I'm not seeing that. 

And given his track record of poor coaching I'd say it's probably more on him. 

The only real argument for keeping berry is for consistency and allowing him to gather more talent. I don't think he has what it takes though and we'll never have a good defense with him. 

Just imo though, and I do like him better than haslett.

8 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm glad to see there are people finally criticizing GMSM...I was getting tired being the only one.

You're not the only one, though, the past two seasons relative to recent Redskins history, is pretty favorable, and optimism exists. You're doubtful of Scott as a GM?

3 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

So, in your opinion, does Barry get another year?

I hope not. I don't think he's shown enough that you can take the gamble that his defense will be good with an investment. The O is ready to fly for the most part. Barry's defenses barely have figured out how to crawl. Way too many uncovered receivers... way too many gaping holes... way too much bad. I won't argue that the D needs more talent. I do argue that the talent is better than our production.

This was one of the Redskins better days on D. It was still pretty bad. Cam had not been able to crack 50% completions for 3 games, had a bum shoulder, and against us he's shooting in the 60's and raking in over 300 yards. That's pretty pathetic. It's talent and coaching.

3 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Sure, but a good coach can elevate a poor roster. I'm not seeing that. 

And given his track record of poor coaching I'd say it's probably more on him. 

The only real argument for keeping berry is for consistency and allowing him to gather more talent. I don't think he has what it takes though and we'll never have a good defense with him. 

Just imo though, and I do like him better than haslett.

What was your impression talent wise, defensively, before the season started? 

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I'd be curious to think what 49ers fans though of him a couple seasons into his tenure.

Scot has been a GM for 4 years....2 in SF, 2 with us.....he gets credit for things he did as a scout; which is great...but look at his record as a GM...his drafting, free agency, etc...

I've said I wouldn't fire him this year, but another lousy off-season and he's out

Just now, shakinaiken said:

What was your impression talent wise, defensively, before the season started? 

Very weak defensively in the middle. Weak defensive tackles, Weak lbs and weak safeties. Elite corners and above average pass rushers. 

I'm quoted somewhere saying pretty much that. 

I expected some gashing in the pass game and expected teams to run on us at will.

The problem I have with that is that I knew and identified it, and the coaching was able to do nothing to fix it. Additionally, breeland has regressed. 

I think we are slightly worse than what we should be defensively and that tells me that we have poor coaching. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd be curious to think what 49ers fans though of him a couple seasons into his tenure.

Probably a lot like the dude you're quoting.  I mean,  our GM hasn't made us a super bowl powerhouse in less than 2 seasons! What a piece of ****! Time to start over! 

Christ.  This is why we can't have nice things. We won the division and made the playoffs in his first year,  and we're right there on year 2 in a much more competitive NFC,  and a much harder schedule this year.  We turned a putrid offense into one of the leagues best. We just need to turn around the defense.  It's been a long time since we were competitive in back to back seasons.  

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I hope not. I don't think he's shown enough that you can take the gamble that his defense will be good with an investment. The O is ready to fly for the most part. Barry's defenses barely have figured out how to crawl. Way too many uncovered receivers... way too many gaping holes... way too much bad. I won't argue that the D needs more talent. I do argue that the talent is better than our production.

This was one of the Redskins better days on D. It was still pretty bad. Cam had not been able to crack 50% completions for 3 games, had a bum shoulder, and against us he's shooting in the 60's and raking in over 300 yards. That's pretty pathetic. It's talent and coaching.

And this game wasn't really an outlier in terms of a defensive performance (See last week, and against NY, Min and Phil etc). The corresponding offense was the culprit this game. They failed. Not surprisingly, this board wants Sean McVay guillotined. The problems with this team, is that both sides are never in synch. So irritating. 

However, defensively, they're frustrating. But there might be an argument that states Barry isn't the issue defensively. Perhaps with better talent (FA/draft) he might look better. 

9 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

LOL...doubtful of Scot?   Let's just say that I'm not impressed.

What would you impress you? Scott's first season as GM the Redskins won the division. His second season as GM, the Redskins are in the playoff hunt in late December. Is that a downgrade or an upgrade, compared to preceding seasons?

What do we do?  Keep getting better and avoid the all too common instinct to panic and become enamoured with the idea that an ill defined something different offers a shortcut to success.  There are no shortcuts, this process must be endured.  

Scott isn't immune. He whiffed on some moves in 2016.  Still, he gets the chance to build his team before the knives are fully drawn out.

We are talent deficient but a better coaching staff and there's no way; we have the record we have now.  Barry has to be gone in 2 weeks.  I don't think Jay will ever be beyond mediocre but team will give him a defense first and then see how he does.  Me personally, I'd let him go.

Kirk Cousins - do we really want to give him all that money for someone who hasn't shown he's a franchise QB.  Will he become one?  What are the risks of letting him walk.  Can we find someone to keep the team going while we build?  Can we draft a rookie QB that will be our own Dak Prescott or our own Russell Wilson?

Before we talk about anything else; we must decide the makeup of the 2017 coaching staff and what we do with Kirk.  Then we can pay attention to which free agents we resign or sign and which players we draft.  Defense should be the focus for 2017 but not exclusively.

Archived