Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Team Isn't Ready..... Now What?

shakinaiken

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Now i turn my eye towards the draft.

This is clearly not a playoff team

It's true.  Even if we back our way into the playoffs, this defense has first round exit written all over it.  Still a successful season, but not what I hoped for or thought we were capable of.

10 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Very weak defensively in the middle. Weak defensive tackles, Weak lbs and weak safeties. Elite corners and above average pass rushers. 

I'm quoted somewhere saying pretty much that. 

I expected some gashing in the pass game and expected teams to run on us at will.

The problem I have with that is that I knew and identified it, and the coaching was able to do nothing to fix it. Additionally, breeland has regressed. 

I think we are slightly worse than what we should be defensively and that tells me that we have poor coaching. 

Fair enough, I feel most posters( myself included) felt Will Compton was an unidentified gem, and Dhall and Bruton would be fantastic at safety, with Preston Smith would experience noticeable improvement.

None of those "things" transpired, and we found out our D overall, unsettlingly, lacks talent.  Breeland peaked against Dallas in 2014, and has subsequently regressed. The truth is brutal. 

When the dust settles, I think we look back and say that's consecutive winning seasons for the first time since the 90s, and we more or less stay the course. Don't blow it up. Keep building. 

The safety position has to be one of the highest priorities this offseason. I don't follow college ball or the fee agent market, but maybe one of our resident experts can point out some targets.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It's true.  Even if we back our way into the playoffs, this defense has first round exit written all over it.  Still a successful season, but not what I hoped for or thought we were capable of.

Yeah I said it in another thread. Probably saved us the embarrassment of watching them get crushed by Seattle or Atlanta

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Man was I getting roasted the other day in the "best for the Redskins" thread for saying what everyone else is now.

You were getting roasted because you wanted the skins to lose games to get a minutely higher draft pick, when we still had a really good shot at the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, s0crates said:

When the dust settles, I think we look back and say that's consecutive winning seasons for the first time since the 90s, and we more or less stay the course. Don't blow it up. Keep building. 

The safety position has to be one of the highest priorities this offseason. I don't follow college ball or the fee agent market, but maybe one of our resident experts can point out some targets.

Does resigning Kirk to a extravagant contract impede the franchises' capability to sign defensive help? As we've seen historically, relying on draft picks is a dangerous game.  

32 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

You're not the only one, though, the past two seasons relative to recent Redskins history, is pretty favorable, and optimism exists. You're doubtful of Scott as a GM?

He's the president of the "Fire Scott NOW!" fan club.

Don't follow him to the dark side. :) 

Just now, shakinaiken said:

Does resigning Kirk to a extravagant contract impede the franchises' capability to sign defensive help? As we've seen historically, relying on draft picks is a dangerous game.  

I think it does. See colts, ravens, and others. 

This season should be proof. As good as kirk plays, it still hasnt been enough this season. Hence he is not worth being the highest played payer in the league. 

At the same time we still need to sign him to a big contract.. it's not an easy maneuver for the skins brass. 

14 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

You have to re-sign Kirk. It's not going to be cheap, but that's a no brainier. Offer him the going rate long term, and he should take it.

This is a good situation for Kirk. Gruden's offense is a perfect fit, he's established himself here, and he has a great supporting cast around him. It's also a good situation for us. He's a top ten QB in this league. They don't grow on trees, and you need one to succeed. He's led us to our best two year stretch in a decade. He's setting franchise records. Just pay him what he's worth and move on to the next piece of the puzzle.

The defense would look a lot better if you spent some high draft picks on that side of the ball, got Gallette and (maybe) Hall back, maybe supplemented with a free agent or two at a key spot like S, DT, or MLB.

I'm not the contract guru, but we have space. I'm pretty sure improving the defense will fit within the budget if we spend wisely.

1 minute ago, sportjunkie07 said:

At the same time we still need to sign him to a big contract.. it's not an easy maneuver for the skins brass. 

I think an argument exists that states otherwise. Why allocate an exorbitant sum cap-wise to a QB that ensures... what? offensive production? passing yards? See Drew Brees and Phillip RIvers. See Peyton Manning without a legitimate defense( or lucky/opportunistic) squad. Kirk and the offense is obviously good, but, we require help elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, s0crates said:

You have re-sign Kirk. It's not going to be cheap, but that's a no brainier. Offer him the going rate long term, and he should take it. This is a good situation for him.

The defense would look a lot better if you spent some high draft picks on that side of the ball, got Gallette and Hall back, maybe supplemented with a free agent or two at a key spot like S, DT, or MLB.

I'm not the contract guru, but we have space. I'm pretty sure improving the defense will fit within the budget if we spend wisely.

This organization has spent high draft picks defensively- Cravens, Fuller, Preston Smith, Murphy, Spaight etc... High picks offensively are Scherff and Doctson- the less said about Doctson the better. Scherff appears to be capable. I'm not selling out on Scott, BUT... he's not immune to criticism. 

Though, admittedly, i don't have many criticisms with our GM. We'll see how this offseason goes, and how his picks transpire. 

21 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

You were getting roasted because you wanted the skins to lose games to get a minutely higher draft pick, when we still had a really good shot at the playoffs. 

No, I don't want to lose any games.

I didn't want to lose an extra game, in the playoffs because we're not a team that's good enough to be in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Also, I think we (and the FO) overrate the hell outta the young guys on defense. 

Still confused why ppl think Preston Smith is good. Because he has 48847 sacks again Sam Bradford??

Been asking that myself. He seemed, on draft day, like a guy who didn't fit a 3-4. And two years in, he seems like a guy who doesn't fit a 3-4.

He had that nice INT a few weeks ago. But in the same game he had a sack because the other 3 guys rushing got to the QB and forced him to run up to the line of scrimmage where Preston Smith was stuck. And people acted like he was Lawrence Taylor.

We're simply not as good as people want to believe that we are.  Was Carolina struggling coming into tonight?  Yes.  Were they a poor matchup for us with the capability to beat us in convincing fashion?  Yes.  

You don't just abandon ship when the water gets rough.  You simply throw Barry over the side and stay the course.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

This team isn't a playoff team. It is way way way too one dimensional. The only thing this team does at an above average level is pass the ball. Our run game is a non factor and the D is laughably bad. 

The Cousins situation is a tricky one. You HAVE to have a QB to win in the NFL, you just have to. But they cost money. I still like Cousins. 

Barry isn't a good D.C., but the lack of talent is alarming. 

This was the crux of this thread: Cousins and the offense appears competent, to very good. The defense appears to lack talent, to defend consistently. So where do you allocate your money? Pay Kirk Cousins an absurd contract that may hinder spending in other requisite areas, or not. Scott is on record stating (obvious paraphrase) that he won't cripple the team by overspending for one position.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only saving grace is that apparently he is aware that they gambled on the defense and lost.  

The saddest part of this evening is that this was an organizational failure. You can point fingers all day on this one.  The bums GMSM put together on defense, the coaches whose team didn't appear ready to go at all, the lack of juice by our players and probably biggest of all...Kirk shriveled under the lights again....in our own house controlling our destiny.  

Yep, it took an entire organization to lay a dud this big.  Starting with the front office to the coaching staff and the players.  That's the thing about TEAM sports.  It's never one person or faction of it.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Hammer said:

Yep, it took an entire organization to lay a dud this big.  Starting with the front office to the coaching staff and the players.  That's the thing about TEAM sports.  It's never one person or faction of it.

Does Scot deserve some criticism? Its his roster, more or less, based off the last two years. And, considering, the more "productive" players aren't Scot selections, but the past regime

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

No, I don't want to lose any games.

I didn't want to lose an extra game, in the playoffs because we're not a team that's good enough to be in the playoffs.

Bah Humbug, Kool.  Get in the playoffs, and let nature takes its course.You never know.

8 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

Does Scot deserve some criticism? Its his roster, more or less, based off the last two years. And, considering, the more "productive" players aren't Scot selections, but the past regime

Guess you didn't see the part I wrote that Said it took the entire organization for tonight's game.  

Archived