Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enemy Panther Fan Here - Ask Me Anything!

SamMills51

Sunshine pumping is alive and well in Carolina!  You do have a solid team, no argument, but your assessment of you draft and basically everything, are seen through the most Panther Blue homer glasses I may have ever encountered.  You're a fan and like your enthusiasm.  We often tend to be our own worst critics around here, in case you haven't noticed. You do not seem to have developed the critical part; we can provide excellent tutelage and tutoring in that realm. We have excellent references. I hope we have a great game so stick around, win or lose, and REALLY hope for no injuries. Hail

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Sunshine pumping is alive and well in Carolina!  You do have a solid team, no argument, but your assessment of you draft and basically everything, are seen through the most Panther Blue homer glasses I may have ever encountered.  You're a fan and like your enthusiasm.  We often tend to be our own worst critics around here, in case you haven't noticed. You do not seem to have developed the critical part; we can provide excellent tutelage and tutoring in that realm. We have excellent references. I hope we have a great game so stick around, win or lose, and REALLY hope for no injuries. Hail

To be fair, he's actually correct about Bradberry's improvement. The guy has made significant strides this season. But he's still wrong to say that the Panthers haven't missed Norman. And I also don't think he realizes that nearly everything that could go right went right for the Panthers last year. The reality is, when everything doesn't go right, you end up...well...5-8.

To expound on that last sentence. The Panthers, unlike this season, didn't have many injuries last year. The main one was losing Benjamin for the year. But he's proven himself to be somewhat of a bust.

And in the first month of last season alone, the Panthers faced RYAN MALLET and LUKE McCOWN (both games at home). Plus SamMills51 has stated that losing Norman hasn't cost them any games. Yet his team gave up 300 yards to Julio Jones, and 500+ yards to Matt Ryan in a game (both records for an opposing QB and WR). Not to mention Norman almost single-handily won them the Jags game last year with a pick 6, when their offense struggled. And also helped beat the Bucs with a pick 6, and had another INT that set up another TD. But they did the right thing by letting Josh walk. Riiiight.

And also, Gano was very reliable last year. He even kicked a game-winning 52 yarder to beat the Colts. In Week 1 this season, he missed a potential game-winner from 50, that could have knocked off the defending SB champs. He also missed several kicks vs the Bucs that you could say cost them the game, as well as one or two other key misses.

The Panthers are the greatest 5-8 team in NFL history. We'll be lucky to stay within 3 TDs. We shouldn't even bother showing up.

This reminds me of Rams fan last year who came here pumping up how awesome his team was before we proceeded to give them a beatdown in Week 2.

2 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

I did watch the games. Some of that was the safety's job on those plays.

Edit

Also, another thing - since when has ESPN really been about what actually happens during the game rather than finding the easy stats and not looking deeper? I'm sure many a times that's happened for you guys.

No one is saying you should not like Bradberry. He is developing pretty quickly. Blaming all the catches on him due to the Ss seems a bit unrealistic. Let's say just one of those 3 passes completed on him were on him not the Ss and there were zero other catches, then that is already over 10 yds. I get looking at the bright side, but you can't just ignore actual facts.

Also, you say it was the right thing - to draft Bradberry in the 2nd rd? You could have easily had him in the 3rd - maybe the 4th. Looks like 3rd pick Worley is doing Ok here later in the season. So the picks worked out. But that does not mean it was the right pick. They were both done out of desperation as both players could have easily been had a rd later allowing you to take say Max Tuerk - the 2nd best C in the draft and would have been a nice replacement for Kalil about now. But that amy have been seen as a luxury pick at the time - like Carl Nassib - although he has played really well. That Dline has underachieved so far this year. Most glaring is there were a few Ss available at pick 62. Kevin Byard has 53 tackles and a sack as a backup in TN. Darian Thompson is injured but you can't predict that. In the end, they made a few desperation moves that worked out. But they were in that position because of very poor decision by gettleman.

Here is another thought - instead of rescinding the tag - why not tag and trade? GB did it several times. they tagged someone, then worked out a trade allowing the other team to make an offer so they don't have to give up 2 1sts. There are a lot of creative things he could have done to at least get value out of Norman. Instead, they let a guy they spent a lot of time developing just walk - leaving a huge void.

And please, you can't be serious when you say you don't miss Norman.

I would just like to ask how does it feel to live in a state where we have our own team but it's still Redskin country? 

Cam just though Vonn Miller was on his ass in the super bowl, wait til Kerrigan smashes him and strips the ball. Norman is the least of the Panthers worries cause they will never get a pass off for him to defend. 

And Ron Rivera looks like he doesn't know what he's watching on the field, just lost.

Redskins 72   Panthers -3(Gano wishes he still plays for us and kicks a field goal the wrong way)

HTTR

2 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Lol not saying I miss Norman. It's obvious we do.

Just not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

You said earlier that not having Norman hasn't cost the Panthers any games at all (which is dumb). lol I don't think you even know what you're talking about at this point.

9 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

You said earlier that not having Norman hasn't cost the Panthers any games at all (which is dumb). lol I don't think you even know what you're talking about at this point.

I don't blame our losses on him. We miss his presence, but him not here doesn't cause us to lose games.

It's like trying to say losing Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan caused the Broncos to lose games this year.

There's a lot of other reasons that teams lose other than not having a player.

8 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

I don't blame our losses on him. We miss his presence, but him not here doesn't cause us to lose games.

It's like trying to say losing Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan caused the Broncos to lose games this year.

There's a lot of other reasons that teams lose other than not having a player.

So you think Julio Jones would of had that 12 catch 300 yard game with Norman on him? 

On 12/16/2016 at 4:47 AM, kost203 said:

Ok so you take away the franchise tag? It's a one year deal. What seen you guys doing with that extra money? BEING CHEAP! Preceadance has been set like it or not. That's a fact. Now, whose to say that if your another panther fan and perform you won't get cut and never reach that lucrative pay day? 

I wouldn't say it was being cheap to rescind the tag, it was Gettleman not wanting to put up with Josh's agents BS.  It has been known that Gettleman said he blamed his agent for the split and decision to let him walk.  Gettleman has also been known to put money in the trenches and not on skill positions (typically).  He applied the tag, Josh's agent screwed up during negotiations, they rescinded the tag.

Last minute, Josh tried to reach out and was told it was too late.  Pretty simple.  The Panthers have extended plenty of players so, just like all the other NFL teams, so that won't be a problem, no precedence has been set.  Now if you want to question the way Gettleman chooses to approach how handles some of these decisions, then that's a fair point.  

Like the Steve Smith cutting, I thought it was handled wrong, given what Smitty meant to the franchise and fan base there.  The rationale made no sense either as it didn't save them any money worth cutting him.  But everyone knew that Smitty was the alpha dog and they needed Cam to assume that role and it worked out.  Same thing with Josh, letting him walk wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but the GM got pushed away by his agent, so he said screw it and let him walk.  Thought they would be able to draft his replacement and not miss a beat.  It didn't work out like that though.

Just now, Tsailand said:

@SamMills51 If you could choose, who would you prefer as the Panther's QB for the next five years: Cam Newton or Kirk Cousins?

Cam Newton for sure. Kirk's got a good line. Cam hasn't for most of his career, and when it was half decent last year, he did wonders.

If he gets some weapons, he's dangerous.

3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Cam Newton for sure. Kirk's got a good line. Cam hasn't for most of his career, and when it was half decent last year, he did wonders.

I wouldn't say good.  Average is about right.  Kirk just gets rid of the ball fast which makes his line look better than it is imo.

16 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

So let's talk about that - Here are last years numbers for both QBs:

Cam Newton - Comp % 59.8% - 3837 yds - 7.8/att - 35 TD/10 Int - 99.4 QBR

Kirk Cousins - Comp % 69.8% - 4166 yds - 7.7/att - 29 TD/11 Int - 101.6 QBR

Kirk throw it 50 more times but Cam had 636 yds rushing to Kirks 68(?). Can had 10 rushing TDs but Kirk still had 5 even with so many less carries. Also, Cam lost 4 fumbles to Kirks 3. So with a "half-decent line" he and Kirk were similar, accept for accuracy where Kirk is way ahead.

Our lines were about the same last year. We lost our starting C and LG in the first 3 gms of the season and we had a rookie at RG - although he will likely end up being a pro-bowler at some point - but he was still just a rookie. Finally our RT was a 2nd yr guy who was injured his entire 1st yr. So we had essentially 2 rookies on the RT side, a replacement C that was released and a replacement RT that is now our C. They pass blocked well, but were and still are not very good at run blocking.

For me the numbers give Kirk a slight edge. But it's his leadership that puts him over the top. Cam pouts too much. Doesn't take accountability. The whole SB interview was a really bad look. He is Ok when he is winning. But when things are not going well, he is not a good team mate from what I can see. Guys really rally around Kirk. They believe in him - and this after only 2 yrs as a starter. Lot's more upside for Kirk and he is already a better QB than Cam in terms of the mechanics of the position. He just doesn't add the same running threat - but he can run. I actually wish he would run a little more. It would make it harder on Ds.

Full disclosure I have never been a Cam fan. But I think the assessment is fair - outside maybe how he is as a team mate. That's clearly just an opinion. I am not in the locker-room so I don't know. Just get that feeling from appearances. Also, I do live in NC so I get the local reports on him.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

For me the numbers give Kirk a slight edge. But it's his leadership that puts him over the top. Cam pouts too much. Doesn't take accountability. The whole SB interview was a really bad look. He is Ok when he is winning. But when things are not going well, he is not a good team mate from what I can see. Guys really rally around Kirk. They believe in him - and this after only 2 yrs as a starter. Lot's more upside for Kirk and he is already a better QB than Cam in terms of the mechanics of the position. He just doesn't add the same running threat - but he can run. I actually wish he would run a little more. It would make it harder on Ds.

Full disclosure I have never been a Cam fan. But I think the assessment is fair - outside maybe how he is as a team mate. That's clearly just an opinion. I am not in the locker-room so I don't know. Just get that feeling from appearances. Also, I do live in NC so I get the local reports on him.

Cam has potential to be one of the best, but Shula is hindering him honestly with our '60 style offense. We're dead last in screens and slants in the league.

As far as leadership, I can tell you right now the media portrays him the opposite of what his teammates would say. I remember Tillman remarking on Cam's work ethic, and how he puts in work everyday in the practice field one day on fox when Colin questioned Cam, and Jared Allen, Ryan Kalil, and Thomas Davis' respect for him. 

Cam rallies the team together, no matter the issue. He sure doesn't like losing, but he's probably one of the best leaders right now.

But yeah. Cam's mechanics need work, and that's what our coaching staff has failed to do sadly. Not coaching him the right way will keep making him do those mistakes.

Archived