Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd there were rumors we were not talking to Garcon, nothing with Jackson, and even Baker got nothing either. And we see how those rumors panned out. We can do this all day, but Kirk's rumor, when you consider the source (and that's pretty important) has more legs than most.

Those aren't rumors. If we're not interested in bringing guys back, we're not interested. There's also a difference between reports and rumors. 

We did reach out to DJax one last time if I'm not mistaken. As for Garçon, we were never going to pay him $16M. And I didn't hear a report that we weren't going to negotiate with Baker.

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

Those aren't rumors. If we're not interested in bringing guys back, we're not interested. There's also a difference between reports and rumors. 

We did reach out to DJax one last time if I'm not mistaken. As for Garçon, we were never going to pay him $16M. And I didn't hear a report that we weren't going to negotiate with Baker.

To be fair I guess a report could turn into a rumor if deemed not true or not provable either way.

Quiet on the Redskins front now. Few guys out there of there of real value to us at DL and LB.

Wonder if we are working on a couple of internal moves to free up some more space. If we're at about 15 mil we could do with creating another 5-10mil to get back in the market. Based on some of the names still out there, we have to be looking to add a couple more.

5 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Once, and nothing at all came of it, as for Baker, there were several reports we were not even talking to him.

Even after signing the 4 guys we did, and without signing Kirk to a LTD, we still have $22 million in cap room, enough to bring in Hankins and have enough left over.  If we dont sign an ILB or high end DT, then we signed 4 guys, and I really cant see us being able to say we improved our front 7.  

Now give me Poe on a one year prove it deal. And give me Kevin Minter on a 4 or 5 year deal. And lets head over to the draft thread for the rest of the off season. I like what we have done so far. We really need a MLB though. And I am salivating at the thought of Sua and Minter in the middle with Swearinger and a first round safety over the top of them. Add in ONE more stud DL and this FA period would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Once, and nothing at all came of it, as for Baker, there were several reports we were not even talking to him.

I don't remember hearing or reading anything about the Redskins lack of interest with Baker until Baker himself made it known.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Now give me Poe on a one year prove it deal. And give me Kevin Minter on a 4 or 5 year deal. And lets head over to the draft thread for the rest of the off season. I like what we have done so far. We really need a MLB though. And I am salivating at the thought of Sua and Minter in the middle with Swearinger and a first round safety over the top of them. Add in ONE more stud DL and this FA period would be awesome.

would be a lot of speed and tenacity. I could see the cowboys running all over us though lol

Absolutely LOVE the Pryor pick up. If we didn't resign either Garcon or Jackson, this was the guy I wanted us to go after. Size, Speed, Youth/low mileage, and a high ceiling as he's new to the position. I also very much like the contract structure (essentially $6 mil) and length.

Would I have liked a 3 year deal at roughly $8 a year? Sure. But i don't think that was realistic; I don't think he wanted that, he's banking on himself. And more power to him. And I'd rather 1 year at around $6 then having to pony up closer to $10 or $12 for him right now. Why? Becuase if we really DO move on from Kirk next year, I'd see us in a slight rebuilding/retooling phase. In such a case, the comp pick we'd get from him walking away would be more valuable than 2 more years at him on a big contract with a QB we probably aren't immediately competing with. 

And there's the other reason I'm really really liking it. If he balls out for us, and we both want to keep it going, then I'm fine paying him a bigger contract for a long term deal next year. However, if he balls out but for various reasons we don't want to commit a ton of cash to him, then we probably get a decent Comp pick for him which is great. And if he's just kind of meh? Well, we're not tied into a long term contract.

Great pickup, first one that actually excited me this off season.  This feels much more like the Norman signing, while the rest have felt more like pot roast, paea, johnson type signings.

Also, if Doctson is beyond his injury issues and thus is able to show up like the guy he showed himself to be in College, we've got our own version of the Bears from a few years ago. That was back when they had Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennet as their big three pass catches that were all towering guys.

Doctson, Pryor, and Reed gives us some great size as pass catchers. 

8 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

would be a lot of speed and tenacity. I could see the cowboys running all over us though lol

They run all over everybody. But if we had Minter, Swearinger and Sua in the middle. Zeke is walking out of that stadium battered and bruised when that game is over. 

And I may end up being wrong (wouldnt be the first time) But I had Swearinger as the best FA safety in this class. A lot of people like Jefferson better. But he was a one year wonder. Swearinger has been a good, solid safety throughout his career.

2 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Also, if Doctson is beyond his injury issues and thus is able to show up like the guy he showed himself to be in College, we've got our own version of the Bears from a few years ago. That was back when they had Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennet as their big three pass catches that were all towering guys.

Doctson, Pryor, and Reed gives us some great size as pass catchers. 

I like the signing because now Crowder stays where he belongs. In the slot. I feel like we will be drafting a starting RB in this draft too. I know the majority of the board is down. But I love what we have done so far.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I like the signing because now Crowder stays where he belongs. In the slot. I feel like we will be drafting a starting RB in this draft too. I know the majority of the board is down. But I love what we have done so far.

I'm trying to figure this out. Outside of Pryor (which is a nice signing, would have been great if it was a 3 year deal) what have we done that is to love?

37 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This would appear to lock-in Cousins as the QB next year, no?

No, when San Fran signed three QBs, the Bears signed Glennon, leaving only the Browns and JETS as possible suitors that decided that. For better or worse we are with Kirk this season

20 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Wow......Mike W. & Tony K. just ripped the organization a new one for how we treated Scot M...

3e2d22ee8332718da13ae523457f8fef.jpg

Just now, clskinsfan said:

You and me definitely don't agree with the GM stuff going on, but as it comes to the signings, I've been good with them.

Unlike others...I liked the way we went about things in free agency the past few years with some of the kind of "2nd tier" shopping. Have they hit more than missed? No. Do I think this batch of people like Swearinger or McGee is significantly more likely to hit? No. But just like the past two years, they're contracts that aren't very damaging if they miss, and at the very least they're going to play the role they are meant for in a solid, if not impressive, fashion. 

I'm of the belief that free agency serves two basic purposes:

Purpose 1 is the primary purpose....fill your holes before the draft, allowing you not to have to draft so much for "need". You may not get great players like this, but you should go after vet guys who are at least "low end starter" quality or younger guys who are rotational/depth type guys that at least have potential. 

Purpose 2 is to secondary purpose...find one to three studs, where you're adding a good or better starter to your team. 

Our first 3 signings fell into purpose 1. Pryor falls into purpose 2. In all cases, I like the moves. That doesn't mean I think they're all going to work out....they RARELY do...but I think they're all reasonable, intelligent, smart moves to make when viewed within the vacuum of those signings and their place on the team.

I'm not necessarily a fan of letting Baker go, but outsid eof that I've been fine with how htings have been going on the signing side of things; similar to how I've felt the past few years.

(to give you an idea of my view on things, prior to the Norman signing, Ziggy Hood was the signing that excited me most last year :) )

Archived