Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest need in the offseason.....

halter91

Although we are having an okay season, what is our biggest need in the offseason,   Who do we need to resign, who needs to go and what needs to we need. 

For me, the choice is easy....1st and foremost, our inside linebackers are weak. Outside linebackers, are great.  Kerrigan is having a nice year, and Trent is having his best season yet.  As much as I love Will Compton, I don't think he has the talent to be elite. Foster is doing okay, I think, but it se ms we get gassed for either big runs and big passes right up the middle. Another position we desperately need is Saftey. We have great corners, sure Breeland has struggles, but keep in mind it's only 2nd year. I think we also need to sure up the interior line. 

Oh, and maybe we can get Trent to quit smoking weed. Move his replacement to the right side, Moses would come off the bench. 

That at is all folks, interested in hearing what others have to say.  

Upgrade the sound system in my living room.  For now I just have a Samsung sound bar.  It is okay, but sometimes I wanna bump music loud and it just doesn't go that high.

Linebackers and safety for sure.  I'm not a big fan of our defense in general.

*edit* By the way, this thread was originally posted in The Tailgate, hence me and Beal's tongue-in-cheek responses.

I will beat the "#51 should be cut" drum until the day I die.  Cravens should be a starter,  

ourside of that our defensive line needs upgrading, and safety is poor as well.  This is a serious playoff contender minus the defense and coaching...so not really a playoff contender

Honestly it is hard to name just 1, because I don't think only upgrading 1 will make a huge difference. So in no particular order I'd say.

1) Interior D-lineman

2) Middle Linebacker

3) Safety

If those three positions get a significant upgrade, I think it could really change the look of the defense.  I wouldn't mind seeing Scotty-Mac making a run at Campbell the interior DL we saw today in AZ.  Dude was disruptive consistently. Athletic and fast to the ball.   

1 hour ago, halter91 said:

As much as I love Will Compton, I don't think he has the talent to be elite. Foster is doing okay, I think, but it se ms we get gassed for either big runs and big passes right up the middle.

How in God's name do you love Will Compton???? Not only is he an Arena football level player, he's a dickhead to fans on social media when he gets called out for being a dog **** player. He doesn't have the talent to even be in the NFL. He's slow as **** hitting holes and when he actually reads a play, he usually either goes in the wrong gap or runs into a blocker like a moron. He's worse than awful

**** that guy. 

Also, Foster is just as terrible. Our safeties are pretty bad as well.

Basically, anything on defense works as an upgrade

If we're going to be good next year we will have to get a DT, S, or ILB in free agency, if we get lucky in the draft and our 1st rounder doesn't miss the entire year then maybe we can knock out 2 of those 3 needs in the draft and then lean on FA for the other.

SM isn't drafting that great so he will have to hit the mother load to cover all the gaps by just using the draft.

ILB and FS are our biggest needs by far. I'm hoping Cravens can be our SS but in reality he'll probably end up more of an ILB/SS hybrid type with no real position.

The DL needs upgrading too but they're at least in the league average tier I'd say. ILB we literally have two street FAs at those positions.

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Wondering if I need to make a "why the hell is GMSM considered a god around here" thread...

A lot of these needs should have already been addressed. 

Yeah, I mean he is at least competent and I feel like he'll get things fixed here eventually. Certainly not looking for a change.

But he hasn't actually done anything impressive here yet.

I think McC has done a good job upgrading the depth of the roster, but he hasn't hit on any impact star types yet. Maybe Crowder but thats about it. Scherff is a great G but great Gs aren't playmakers. I think Cravens will be a stud though.

Hopefully he hits on some young defensive studs in the draft. God knows we need them.

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, I mean he is at least competent and I feel like he'll get things fixed here eventually. Certainly not looking for a change.

But he hasn't actually done anything impressive here yet.

Under GMSM's guidance, we are in position to finish with a winning record this season. If we do, it'll be our first back-to-back winning seasons in 20 years. If we get really lucky down the stretch, we might even make back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time in a quarter of a century. It ain't Gibbs 1.0, but I wasn't alive then, so I'll take what I can get.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Honestly it is hard to name just 1, because I don't think only upgrading 1 will make a huge difference. So in no particular order I'd say.

1) Interior D-lineman

2) Middle Linebacker

3) Safety

If those three positions get a significant upgrade, I think it could really change the look of the defense.  I wouldn't mind seeing Scotty-Mac making a run at Campbell the interior DL we saw today in AZ.  Dude was disruptive consistently. Athletic and fast to the ball.   

Pretty much the way I see it in that order. I believe our secondary is better than it shows but that's because no secondary can thrive when a QB has an hour to throw the ball every time. The secondary also aren't the ones who are letting running backs get into that second tier. It's a complete breakdown on the LoS. Teams are not scared, as we've seen, to go for 3rd or 4th and short no matter where they are on the field. I've never seen that before. 

Our front 7 sucks. For us that necessitates upgrading at ILB and the interior line. 

It's no surprise that our defense declined along with London Fletcher. I'm not saying that we'll be able to go out and get a new Fletch this offseason, but we can damn well try.

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Wondering if I need to make a "why the hell is GMSM considered a god around here" thread...

A lot of these needs should have already been addressed. 

Been thinking the same thing. Seems to me he's kinda lucked into a few "hits", but most of his big moves have been "misses". He lucked in Djax and Norman. He signed Paea and Lavuo, culliver, bruton

12 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

Been thinking the same thing. Seems to me he's kinda lucked into a few "hits", but most of his big moves have been "misses". He lucked in Djax and Norman. He signed Paea and Lavuo, culliver, bruton

So he's lucky when he grabs Norman and DJax, and he sucks because of paea, lauvao (who have yet  to  be replaced  by almighty godlike arie  kounadjio), culliver (who wasn't that bad, but expensive) and bruton.

I would rather say he was unlucky to me.

What about blackmon? RJF? Dunbar? Kyshoen Jarrett (except if you blame Scott for this injury)?

If you want To criticize him, go on but:

1 Don't pretend he doesn't know the state of our team.

2 Don't pretend he did not even try. 

3 Try to  actually be fair in your assessment.

4 Scott himself admits that he miss more than people give him credit for. He's not to blame if we  expect too much out of him. We are to blame then.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So he's lucky when he grabs Norman and DJax, and he sucks because of paea, lauvao (who have yet  to  be replaced  by almighty godlike arie  kounadjio), culliver (who wasn't that bad, but expensive) and bruton.

I would rather say he was unlucky to me.

What about blackmon? RJF? Dunbar? Kyshoen Jarrett (except if you blame Scott for this injury)?

If you want To criticize him, go on but:

1 Don't pretend he doesn't know the state of our team.

2 Don't pretend he did not even try. 

3 Try to  actually be fair in your assessment.

4 Scott himself admits that he miss more than people give him credit for. He's not to blame if we  expect too much out of him. We are to blame then.

That's just FA. If your assertions are correct, and he knows the state of the team, then why do we have such a terrible front 7? Like, historically bad for this franchise? Every armchair GM knew that Dline needed addressing, and we got more has-beens and never-will-bes. Seems Vinny-esque IMO. 

SM has been better than bad. I'd say he's been good in fact. But this blind faith some fans put in him, saying stuff like, "let's let Kirk walk so we can let Scott do his thing with the cap space and load this team"- what about his so-so track record says that's a good idea 

I think our biggest need is a better defensive philosophy. Barry can't get it done. And let's be honest, since we almost always rush either Kerrigan or Smith and put them on the line... We're playing a 4-3. Let's just admit it and design a defense for that!

Playerwise I think we need D linemen who can push the pocket and win. QBs and RBs both have it way too easy. We lose the pass game and the run game almost every time. They used to say you eliminate one strength. We eliminate nothing. I think we need better line players. Make Smith a DE, Baker a DT, then we need a pass rushing DE and another big DT.

At the moment, every position has looked bad on D. Almost every player from Kerrigan to Breeland that we thought we could depend on has regressed or become invisible. That makes me question whether it is them. When everyone sucks it's hard for me to believe it is not more misuse of talent than talent itself.

Archived