Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

I'm right there with her on the ethics stuff.  I just think she is young and wants to change things so radically that it could impede her.  Some of her ideas about going green are a little out of the mainstream.  She needs just a little infusion of Pelosi realism to go along with her engaging idealism.  

I think having a little youthful idealism and fire is a great breath of fresh air for Congress. So many of the members are so entrenched, so tenured, and so cynical that they don't even bother trying to change what they know is wrong.

Just now, Burgold said:

I think having a little youthful idealism and fire is a great breath of fresh air for Congress. So many of the members are so entrenched, so tenured, and so cynical that they don't even bother trying to change what they know is wrong.

Not to mention the Tea Party/Freedom caucus of the GOP were considered "fringe" and "too extreme" for exactly half an election cycle, until they got themselves elected and ever since they are magically just accepted as a valid wing of the GOP. 

So spare me the pearl clutching over AOC & a handful of others because they want to challenge what they see as the Democratic status quo. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I don't disagree and think she could have a bright future as long as she doesn't become successfully labeled an extremest to the main stream voters.  Stick with the ethics tack, as pretty much no one can disagree with a straight face.  Succeed at that and learn as you go.  If she is successful at that we could leave a whole new paradigm that could actually work.  

5 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I don't disagree and think she could have a bright future as long as she doesn't become successfully labeled an extremest to the main stream voters.  Stick with the ethics tack, as pretty much no one can disagree with a straight face.  Succeed at that and learn as you go.  If she is successful at that we could leave a whole new paradigm that could actually work.  

Where AOC and other actual progressives have it tough is the fact that they not only will be labeled extremists from the GOP, they also are going to get shut down by the Centrist members of the DNC because they are largely being paid off by the same entities that throw money at the GOP.   The difference is the GOP gladly takes the money with no shame, and the Dems sort of reluctantly view it as a necessary evil in order to compete in a system where you tend to need a lot of money to run for office.  

Just contrast the way the GOP establishment treats the freedom/tea party caucus with how the DNC establishment treats the progressives.    Everyone is against the progressives, don't forget that.   

When you represent the powerless, the ones with the power will try and shut you down.  

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As far as campaign finance reform, I agree she should go full steam ahead at all times on that issue.  It isn't hard to make the case that money corrupts politics and politicians not to mention "money = speech" at least in the current iteration is a farce.

I think the best way to push this is call people out directly and use facts to back it up.  And keep floating the clips around social media.

"Senator X, I see you have come out against ________.  Is that in any way due to the massive donation you received from (insert lobby group name her)?"

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Where AOC and other actual progressives have it tough is the fact that they not only will be labeled extremists from the GOP, they also are going to get shut down by the Centrist members of the DNC because they are largely being paid off by the same entities that throw money at the GOP.   The difference is the GOP gladly takes the money with no shame, and the Dems sort of reluctantly view it as a necessary evil in order to compete in a system where you tend to need a lot of money to run for office.  

Just contrast the way the GOP establishment treats the freedom/tea party caucus with how the DNC establishment treats the progressives.    Everyone is against the progressives, don't forget that.   

When you represent the powerless, the ones with the power will try and shut you down.  

You're correct which makes it imperative you don't give them ammunition a main stream voter would consider crazy.  The stuff about stopping air travel is an example.  To the general public, you put that out there and you're going to come off as a nut.  Cleaner air travel, ok, no air travel? Nuts. All that kind of thing will do is distract from what she is absolutely correct about and should be laser focusing in on and that's corruption.  

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think the best way to push this is call people out directly and use facts to back it up.  And keep floating the clips around social media.

"Senator X, I see you have come out against ________.  Is that in any way due to the massive donation you received from (insert lobby group name her)?"

Agreed.  Trace the "donations" directly back to policy positions/legislation.

Also it is something the corporate Dems would never do because it can be done right back to them.

It will take someone like a Bernie or AOC.

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I'm right there with her on the ethics stuff.  I just think she is young and wants to change things so radically that it could impede her.  Some of her ideas about going green are a little out of the mainstream.  She needs just a little infusion of Pelosi realism to go along with her engaging idealism.  

I agree it can, and most likely will impede her.  Reading through the "Green New Deal", maybe i'm realisitic, but there are so many laughable things to be included, and then she says no one should question her.  

I like idea people in government, but if she wants to be a successful idea person in government, she has to come up with more realistic thoughts.  Personally, I also like to see the idea people implement.  I'm not sure she's close to anything that could get implemented of the radical ideas.

6 minutes ago, superozman said:

I agree it can, and most likely will impede her.  Reading through the "Green New Deal", maybe i'm realisitic, but there are so many laughable things to be included, and then she says no one should question her.  

I like idea people in government, but if she wants to be a successful idea person in government, she has to come up with more realistic thoughts.  Personally, I also like to see the idea people implement.  I'm not sure she's close to anything that could get implemented of the radical ideas.

I agree with the legislative logic here but I do wish more people agreed with her green logic. The true "realism" and "radicality" will come when we ALL realize we can no longer sustain future generations of surface-dwelling life on land or in the sea. THAT's not going to very laughable.  😕

33 minutes ago, superozman said:

I like idea people in government, but if she wants to be a successful idea person in government, she has to come up with more realistic thoughts. 

Why? No one is going to care, nor is the media going to cover it. The narrative is already there: she's a radical, extreme fringe, super-left. This very discussion is about her radical proposals/ideas. The media has already shaped the conversation.

She's smart because she's running with it rather then trying to re-brand herself.

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

I agree with the legislative logic here but I do wish more people agreed with her green logic. The true "realism" and "radicality" will come when we ALL realize we can no longer sustain future generations of surface-dwelling life on land or in the sea. THAT's not going to very laughable.  😕

I do wish people would agree with taking care of our environment.  I don't think things in her green deal are logical though.

I applaud her for the focus which leads my to Mooka's point, where I think we disagree.  I don't think she's smart just running with it because all it's going to do is continue the division of the far left with their no cows and no planes just a decade from now and people on the right laughing at the ideas.  Now if her end game is to throw everything out there and maybe a couple things end up doable, maybe thats what she's trying to do?  

45 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Why? No one is going to care, nor is the media going to cover it. The narrative is already there: she's a radical, extreme fringe, super-left. This very discussion is about her radical proposals/ideas. The media has already shaped the conversation.

She's smart because she's running with it rather then trying to re-brand herself.

6 hours ago, Bang said:

You know, that fathead who was firing missiles into the ocean every month, and then suddenly developed one that went MUCH farther with a MUCH higher accuracy... and then he shot a few of them over Japan and dropped a subtle threat against Hawaii..  and then suddenly came the news that somehow they had the ability to potentially miniaturize their warheads  .. which led to warnings that they could now possibly hit Chicago.

Other than that.. the dude is a lamb. Just the occasional brutal murder of family members and other assorted people who stepped out of line, but thats just a day at the office.

~Bang

My point was that Trump didn't cause 'peace' between NK and SK, what peace exists now is mostly due to NK and SK being so insistent to talk to each other of late, especially under the new leadership in SK.   The things that Trump did get toned down like the rhetoric and public testing had ramped up big time after Trump got elected and started making threats at NK.  Trump should not get credit for stopping war between NK and SK, or promoting peace between them.

47 minutes ago, visionary said:

What's going on here?

So this was fun.  In the last photo, that's my office building on the corner where you can see half the silver truck.  No one bothered to tell us anything, no email or warning from building security or anything.

I found out when I left work this afternoon and had to go the really long way around to get to Union station.

The GOP has been dealing and legislating in fantasyland for 30 years, from voodoo economics to religious zealotry.  They are just better at messaging their ideas.  This is my point with my last few comments.  There is a problem when no matter how right-wing an idea is, it's given a chance at the table, but anything slightly to the left of center-left (the current center-left, mind you) is treated like it is divinely handed down from a postmortem Karl Marx. 

10 minutes ago, Forehead said:

So this was fun.  In the last photo, that's my office building on the corner where you can see half the silver truck.  No one bothered to tell us anything, no email or warning from building security or anything.

I found out when I left work this afternoon and had to go the really long way around to get to Union station.

Archived