Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Redskins Are A "Good Team". Time To Accept This Fact

Diehard Otis

I feel like the Redskins are a franchise just starting an upswing of success and this game does not change my feeling. Right now they are a solid but definitely not great team and we as fans will see these kind of games all year regardless of the opponent. 

Bottom line the Lions are a similar team to the Redskins, playing well, and at home. As long as the players and coaches learn from these games and grow together the Redskins are setting up for a nice run in the coming years. 

I'll reiterate my previous statements in this thread.  Point differential, or margin of victory, tells the story for a team like the Redskins (not a defensive juggernaut).  We fail to put teams away and the games are closer than they should be.  The fact that we've won more than we've lost tells me we're on the right track, but good teams do not cut it so close every week and today was an example of why that matters.

Id say the Redskins simply need to trust that they've got the right people and stay the course.  This is not our year, and just because they're winning doesn't mean the rebuild is done.  The goal is to make 9-10 wins the floor, not the ceiling.  

The are good dammit.  Kirk Cousins showed icewater in his veins on that last drive.  Every team in The League has an off day.  Today was ours.  And with all the help Detroit was given, they still had to beat us on a last-second drive.  You can always play the 'what if' game, but I accept the result.  We lost.

Today I saw a team that played uncharacteristically poorly (Turnovers, missed opportunities), and still scored the go-ahead Touchdown late in the game to take the Lead.  This result has not changed my thinking.  

But if Norman & Williams miss significant time, that seriously will impact our fortunes this year.  But I'll stick to my position.

Cousins was marvelous on that TD drive, but the problem he is missing too many plays too.  That throw to Vernon Davis late in the game was spectacular, but his misses to Garcon and Grant earlier in the game were as bad as that throw was good.   Every QB misses throws, but he is missing what seems like 2-1 on the game-changing/breaking plays.

Contrast that with Stafford's performance today which was also not necessarily fantastic, but the throw he made to the 3rd WR on Norman?  That is what we are missing at QB.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Cousins was marvelous on that TD drive, but the problem he is missing too many plays too.  That throw to Vernon Davis late in the game was spectacular, but his misses to Garcon and Grant earlier in the game were as bad as that throw was good.   Every QB misses throws, but he is missing what seems like 2-1 on the game-changing/breaking plays.

Contrast that with Stafford's performance today which was also not necessarily fantastic, but the throw he made to the 3rd WR on Norman?  That is what we are missing at QB.

I agree completely with your thoughts on Cousins.  But Stafford still leaves me dubious - if he can post a Winning Record this year, then I'll rethink my view of him.  But I just see a guy that puts up numbers (that's why it kills me that he beat us!), but doesn't Win in The NFL.

As for Cousins, he's sold me.  He has his warts, & we know what they are.  But I firmly believe that the man has that Winning Intangible.

We can Win with G&C. 

1 minute ago, Diehard Otis said:

I agree completely with your thoughts on Cousins.  But Stafford still leaves me dubious - if he can post a Winning Record this year, then I'll rethink my view of him.  But I just see a guy that puts up numbers (that's why it kills me that he beat us!), but doesn't Win in The NFL.

As for Cousins, he's sold me.  He has his warts, & we know what they are.  But I firmly believe that the man has that Winning Intangible.

We can Win with G&C. 

Well through Stafford's career I think he and Megatron were the primary reason they were ever winning games in the first place.  I'd really like to see Stafford on a better quality team because the Lions much like our team, seems to always be a franchise in neutral. Every time they are supposed to take the next step they fall backwards. 

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Have yet to have one game where all 3 phases have played well.

We aren't good.

Only elite teams have all three phases play well consistently.

Some of you guys are confusing good with elite. Look around the league. These type of games happen regularly. The Bills won four in a row including a win in New England just lost to a mediocre Dolphin team. The Rams have wins over the Seahawks and Cardinals but can't beat the lousy 49ers or mediocre Giants.

I think we're pretty good, although with today's injuries that could change in a hurry. Just not elite. Although the offense has the tools to be elite. The defense is what it is at this point and if we can just hold teams to 20 we'll be happy.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Only elite teams have all three phases play well consistently.

Some of you guys are confusing good with elite. Look around the league. These type of games happen regularly. The Bills won four in a row including a win in New England just lost to a mediocre Dolphin team. The Rams have wins over the Seahawks and Cardinals but can't beat the lousy 49ers or mediocre Giants.

I think we're pretty good, although with today's injuries that could change in a hurry. Just not elite. Although the offense has the tools to be elite. The defense is what it is at this point and if we can just hold teams to 20 we'll be happy.

I'm not asking for that week in and week out. No team does that.

We haven't had one strong team wide game at any point this season. Not one.

Every week, we say the same thing pre-game "hopefully this is the day when we finally turn it all on" and it never happens. That's the mark of a .500 team that's a coinflip from the playoffs. And you know what? That's fine. We are still building a team that will eventually be great. But we aren't at the moment. 

This team can beat anyone and can lose to anyone. Parody, bah; a lot of this is game planning and adjusting, or lack thereof.

Attentiveness, discipline, aggressiveness, capitalizing on strengths and correcting/adjusting to weaknesses; this is what coaches are supposed to handle, but its not showing on the field. No turnovers in forever, and even though we lost our top 2 CBs, you just can't bank on putting another player in the game and expecting the same results.

This team needs to score a lot of points early and force opponents to be lopsided on offense; until a coordinator who knows how to scheme and adjust in-game comes here, it will be the offense carrying this team. I will never, ever, put a shred of faith in Joe Barry's abilities. He's proven to be ineffective, he's relying on mistakes from offenses to carry him, and that will never get this team anywhere.

My goodness people. The overreaction on this board are priceless. Cousins missed too much? 30 of 39 for 301 a TD passing and rushing, and that was with a couple of drops...he was fantastic.

Wish they'd move and take their owner? Look, I'm no fan of Snyder, but...please.

Three turnovers to none. Lions get a gift 1st down when a pass bounces off of Breeland, some of the Skins best players went down, and they still should have won.

Bad loss, yeah. But cool your jets, please...giving me a headache. 

Honestly, I am not that upset about the 4-3 record, I am more just looking long term at the schedule and the division. I full expect Dallas to come back down to earth eventually, but that is precisely why a game like today's was so important, because you keep pace with the division leader who is not likely to maintain a 1 loss record.  Not only that but this game was there to be won over and over and over.  

Looking at the caliber of our opponents this far, I'd make a strong argument that a "good" team is 6-1.  The Steelers game is the only game this season thus far that there is little argument to make that could have gone either way. Our team was out-classed in every way.  However, a good team beats Dallas, a good team, beats Detroit today.  A good team doesn't require the Browns to fumble their way out of the game in order to win. The Eagles game so far is the only game that felt like a complete dominating win and it was still a one possession final score. 

Honestly, I am not that upset about the 4-3 record, I am more just looking long term at the schedule and the division. I fully expect Dallas to come back down to earth eventually, but that is precisely why a game like today's was so important, because you keep pace with the division leader who is not likely to maintain a 1 loss record.  Not only that but this game was there to be won over and over and over.   If the 'Skins beat the Lions today, then we are in prime position for when Dallas eventually gets figured out or at least runs into a team or two that gives them a loss. 

Looking at the NFC East as a division, it's shaping up to come down to which team is playing their best football in December.  That Thanksgiving game in Dallas could very well determine whether or not our team is still in the discussion when the December games start.  Losing today was a step in the wrong direction as far as the long term prospects of the 2016 season go.  The opportunities were there to be had again.  His misses downfield didn't determine the outcome of the game the past 4 weeks, but today they played a bigger part.

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

My goodness people. The overreaction on this board are priceless. Cousins missed too much? 30 of 39 for 301 a TD passing and rushing, and that was with a couple of drops...he was fantastic.

Wish they'd move and take their owner? Look, I'm no fan of Snyder, but...please.

Three turnovers to none. Lions get a gift 1st down when a pass bounces off of Breeland, some of the Skins best players went down, and they still should have won.

And that is one of the most frustrating things; our CBs never look back for a ball, they are only there to interrupt a catch once the WR goes to catch it. Doesn't work at all in timing routes.

Just now, skins island connection said:

And that is one of the most frustrating things; our CBs never look back for a ball, they are only there to interrupt a catch once the WR goes to catch it. Doesn't work at all in timing routes.

Breeland's specialty. 

My guy has zero awareness of the ball. That's the only thing keeping him from being a beast

12 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I understand people's frustration, gut wrenching loss but am closer to this point of view.  We didn't get blown out.  We could have taken this game -- ironically that adds to the frustration but at the same time once we settle down, it should add to hope.  Lions are a decent team, we outplayed them in their stadium -- and got some bad breaks.  Stuff happens.  Kirk I thought wasn't perfect but good.   The arrow trend for me with this team is still trending up.

Archived