Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I'm usually adamently against switching guys to different positions, especially if it's on the other side of the ball or a different sport but I think I'd like to give Kelly Oubre a look at WR.

You're too short sighted. If we put a G at C, two Ts at G,  WR at TE, a LB at FB, CBs at FS, WR at CB, DEs at OLB, DTs at DE, nobody will know how to stop us.

Maybe even have the punter try QB and throw to a CB who's really a WR.

Nobody sees that coming. Brilliant!

Just now, skinfan2k said:

not sure why he is being rushed back when he is considered a long term asset and investment.  

Season started and we kinda stink. I think that's why.

I understand the thought process that we shouldn't rush him because he is a long term investment, but I'm pretty sure the staff feels that way too.  At least in my head, there are still two issues though.  1.)  God forbid this is a lingering problem.  2.). Even if he is a long term investment, him having to completely redshirt this year is bad because next year, once either DJ or PG is gone, the time for "learning curve" will be running out.  We may NEED him at that point.  And learning how to run routes against NFL competition isn't something you can do without actually doing it.

Now, with all that being said, I don't trust Jay Gruden's feelings on him or anyone else for that matter.  Jay can say what he wants.  What I see is a guy who is not well enough to play, whether in his own estimation or in the team doctors'.  That's a problem for me.  Especially at a position that is hard to learn in the NFL when you don't run a 4.3 or are shifty and know the entire route tree.  Especially when your "thing" for the team seemed to be the potential to catch jump balls and you have an issue in an area notorious for sapping explosion.  6'2 or not, he's not catching jump balls without jumping.

The situation is definitely a head scratcher.  GMSM and Gruden are  obviously frustrated and my vibe is that the toughness angle might be valid.  

Shelving him til after the bye week is probably a good idea, this way the team can move forward and game plan without him.  Evaluate him during that time off and see where he's at  - the team doesn't need the distraction.  

Everyone in this thread keeps questioning why the staff is not taking it slow with Doctson, the thing is they did! He had no major injury incident, like a tear or a pull yet they sat him ALL of training camp, didn't he get a 3 month rest? They tried to get him going in week 2, Achilles reacted badly, that's how it goes. I'm confused why so many people on this board are speculating this is going to ruin his career or that he will never make it back. Unless we hear a real doctor discuss these possibility why do people with no medical background think they can diagnos this injury better?

He was certainly rushed "back" for week 1 - first series to boot. But no one could have foreseen our RZ struggles. What was Cousins RZ#s, 20 TDs and zippy INTs? Returning the same receiving core, to boot.

QBs and new WRs need practice time to sort out timing etc.  Sure enough, the fades to him looked ugh-a-lee. Burgundy beer goggles they do nothing. Scot drafted his top pick into THE strength of our team. Now, we could use him as mother luck has turned on Kirk, and he is still nursing that injury despite what seems like months of almost no practice. You can't make this stuff up.

3-6 Months - and off his feet... that doesn't sound even possible, especially if we keep trying to get him into games like our season depends on it. He probably needs to be IR'd if that is 100% accurate, since 6 months from now we are looking at OTAs. I think we can understand that cast on Scot's hand more and more with every published and modified inactives list.

@blitzpackage thanks for your posts on this

@SWFLSkins thanks for starting the thread

24 minutes ago, bankonhank said:

Everyone in this thread keeps questioning why the staff is not taking it slow with Doctson, the thing is they did! He had no major injury incident, like a tear or a pull yet they sat him ALL of training camp, didn't he get a 3 month rest? They tried to get him going in week 2, Achilles reacted badly, that's how it goes. I'm confused why so many people on this board are speculating this is going to ruin his career or that he will never make it back. Unless we hear a real doctor discuss these possibility why do people with no medical background think they can diagnos this injury better?

To think this fanbase is not butt hurt over WR's with potential BankonHank is naive at best. Kelly, Thomas and my man Hank, Micheal Westbrook for that matter brings cringes to the masses...so this Number one pick, having not played much at all is earth scorching, the Redzone troubles leaves even Scot and Jay smoldering.  

It's time to put him on IR.  He is clearly not healthy and there's no need for him to be playing in games as the 4th WR.  Let him get physically and mentally healthy, watch film and learn the offense, have a great off-season and contribute next year.  He's got all the skills to be a top wideout in the NFL, but pushing him when he is clearly injured will only hinder him at this point.  

Just now, SkinssRvA said:

It's time to put him on IR.  He is clearly not healthy and there's no need for him to be playing in games as the 4th WR.  Let him get physically and mentally healthy, watch film and learn the offense, have a great off-season and contribute next year.  He's got all the skills to be a top wideout in the NFL, but pushing him when he is clearly injured will only hinder him at this point.  

I agree with this. Also, with the new rules, they do not have to define which player they want to return from IR. So if he somehow gets better and is really ready to play and they have not brought someone else off IR (you only get one) they could bring him back. Otherwise just wait till next year. No reason to rush him and get him injured in a way that is career threatening. 

I don't see a problem with fans speculating about Doctson based off of what we have been given.  Where I think there is a problem is anyone (including coaching staff) questioning toughness with this particular area of the body.  From personal experience I can say that pain tolerance is not even the thing that bugs you with your Achilles.  Running, cutting, any explosive movements actually make a little "OH CRAP" sensation run up your calf and makes you involuntarily pick your foot up.  I can see where a guy whose future is tied to his body would be wary of trying to push through a feeling like that.  I would personally give it to the bye, and then IR him if it doesn't look like progress has been made.

Totally on the patience train with Doct. Achilles isn't a "rub some dirt on it" type injury, in my opinion. Dude needs to heal, the biggest question is why is it taking so long. Well let's stop working the guy out all together for a while, wait for him to say "I'm 100% ready to run crispy routes and score tds".

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So you made this up weeks before anyone else, then? Congrats, I guess. 

Thank you, I know you're a big fan of my posts.

Look I don't want to go back and forth but something doesn't seem right.  We have had no real diagnosis except for a sore Achilles which means he can't handle playing with the soreness.  If there was a diagnosis of  Tendonosis and that takes 3-5 months to heal then why would they rush him back?  Why don't we know more information about his injury, my opinion is that the team doesn't want to throw the kid under the bus by saying "well the doctors have cleared him but he keeps complaining about pain", like I said before I get it if your hiding injury status from teams on players who actually matter like a Desean but JD is insignificant to every D coordinator so why not just come out and tell everyone what the issue is?

58 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well Malcomb Kelly had legitimate medical issues. It wasn't a toughness thing. That was Dan and Vinny's fault.

Jordan Reed had questionable toughness. Let's hope Doctson's story takes a turn on the same path. 

I follow Jordan and Dani on fb, got to be friends with her before the baby, his is not a question of toughness, trust me. HE practices and plays full on, he plays harder/contact,  than he should for a guy with his skills. 

IMO, this isn't an issue that will just heal itself.  I have Achilles Tendonitis (both heels) and have had it since the Marines (1988-1992) and when inflamed is very painful and affects everything having to do with walking, running, jumping, etc.  In 2001 and reentered the military (USArmy) and once again, it flamed up, making it difficult to run, jump, walk, etc.  I am now running again, but have to be careful not to do anything which causes it to inflame, sprinting hurts, running up hills causes it to flame up but usually if I stretch a lot beforehand, I can limit the pain. 

Now, in no way am I a professional athlete or a Dr and am sure they are giving him the best treatment and know FAR more than what I have been told by Military Doctors, I can only share my experiences with this and it SUCKS and is EXTREMELY PAINFUL when it is inflamed.  There is no "cure" for Achilles Tendonitis, but they tell me cortisone shots (don't like needles so not doing that) helps.

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I follow Jordan and Dani on fb, got to be friends with her before the baby, his is not a question of toughness, trust me. HE practices and plays full on, he plays harder/contact,  than he should for a guy with his skills. 

I think people couldn't get the image of him crying at Florida out of their head....

in in all seriousness though he just had some bad luck. Dude is a savage after the catch. 

This is exactly what happened to Laron Landry. He missed all of preseaon in 2011 had the same shockwave treatment Doctson had on his achillies and was in and out of the lineup. The Skins put him on IR in December of that year but he refused surgery and wanted to a stem cell procedure instead. 

No point putting him on IR unless they are going to cut it and repair it. That's where this is headed. This has bust written all over it.

The thing is, he didn't do anything in the offseason that would be considered "rushing him back"  He barely practiced at all for the entire offseason.  If it was just a "soreness" issue, you'd think he'd had plenty of time to rest his foot.  Also, when it comes to the coaches, regardless of what we think of their X's & O's I don't think they are looking to purposely put a player out there that isn't healthy enough to compete and contribute.  

I think this problem is being examined and blown up more because of the team's red zone issues.  If we were scoring more TD's with the current active players I don't think the Doctson stuff would be examined as closely as it is now, but due to the history of the WR's we draft, there is always going to be that lingering dread that we drafted another WR who has lingering issues and sort of meanders around the roster for a few seasons, little playing time, before they are eventually cut and disappear from the NFL.  Granted, it's waaaaaaaaay too early to even suggest that will happen with Doctson, it's just more about us being in this situation so many times before that it's natural to get too worried, too soon.

6 minutes ago, paloosa said:

This situation reminds me a lot like what happened with Malcolm Kelly. Was hurt out of College and never fully recovered or spent much time on the field to contribute. Hopefully He will turn out to be a better contributor to this team.

Oh man.. You had to bring him up

sigh.........

Archived