Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

@PartyPosse It was said that people dont appreciate what we have, I agreed and quoted it... I literally just described why we should appreciate what we have. Like it or not, we have the best QB play from Cousins that we've seen in a long time and we're in a position to beat most teams because of our QB. Our defense and Matt jones lost this week and people are complaining about the QB, unreal. 

toilet water and cody kessler, thats your argument. 

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This is not a knock on Cousins but i hate this analogy in terms of our history with the QB position. That's like saying we've been drinking gasoline for so long, we should appreciate the toilet water we now have (Not comparing Kirk to toilet water, just making an isolated comparison).

So Cleveland should be thrilled with Cody Kessler because their history of QBs has been so atrocious? I know Kirk is MILES ahead of Cody but my point is it's easy to be overly enamored when you've been snakebitten so many times in the past. 

But we're not celebrating a 3,100 yard 17 TD/11 INT season. We are enamored with QB season (2015) that broke franchise records. He's consistently completing 65-70% of his passes and leading us up and down the field. That's not all that common around the league!

5 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

@PartyPosse It was said that people dont appreciate what we have, I agreed and quoted it... I literally just described why we should appreciate what we have. Like it or not, we have the best QB play from Cousins that we've seen in a long time and we're in a position to beat most teams because of our QB. Our defense and Matt jones lost this week and people are complaining about the QB, unreal. 

toilet water and cody kessler, thats your argument. 

Again... my post wasn't about Kirk, it was about people comparing Kirk to the QBs we've had in the past. He sure as hell didn't lose us the game on Sunday. He's been playing good ball. I wasn't questioning any of that.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Again... my post wasn't about Kirk, it was about people comparing Kirk to the QBs we've had in the past. He sure as hell didn't lose us the game on Sunday. He's been playing good ball. I wasn't questioning any of that.

And I appreciate that he's playing good ball, I appreciate that because of the crap we've seen at QB  since I was 10 years old. 

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

The Osweiler situation is completely different. When the team that drafted, groomed and knows everything about the guy just lets him walk at 26-years old than you better be a little bit suspicious. Denver made very little effort to keep Brock. They didn't even attempt to tag him.

The Redskins on the other hand seem to want Kirk, they just don't want to vastly overpay to do so. It's a sticky situation but the Redskins didn't just let Kirk walk out the building so that means something. 

I disagree, it's not that different.  Denver offered $16m a year with over $30m guaranteed over 4 years.  Houston gave him 4/$72m with $37m guaranteed.  Not that much of a difference, but it was enough for Brock to bolt to another team.  That doesn't translate to the Broncos making "very little effort."  It just means they wanted to stay under a certain budget.  I agree they were fine with him leaving.  He only started 7 games for them and he wasn't the reason they were winning.  But you can easily make the argument that it would have been a million times better for Brock and his career if he stayed with Denver this season.  That team relies on a quality running game and a stout defense.  In Houston...that's just not the case and he's struggling because of it.

If someone else offers Kirk more money and he takes it, there's zippy guarantee he's even good with a new team and there's definitely no guarantee that the team can just plug someone in and they'll automatically be capable.  It's been 17 years since Brad Johnson.  If good QB's were that easy to find, then we wouldn't have gone so long without a quality QB.  That's why I'm saying he's more valuable to us than he is another team because he'd be building on the previous 3 seasons.  There's probably 8+ teams out there that would overpay to steal him away from the Skins.  They can't let it get to that point.  If they can't agree on something, they better franchise him again.

3 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

The grass is not always greener.  Check out the Brock Osweiler situation...

The Texans gave him more than the Broncos were willing and that has committed them more to him being the continued starter. 

How isn't that greener? His 4-3 team is doing worse than Denver at 5-2, but he's considered a leader and is part of their future. Broncos just wouldn't commit that he's there guy.

Back to Kirk and how this applies if he hits FA and another team offers him more money in terms of total contract and guarantee how isn't that a better deal? 

7 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

remember when Kirk had a nice deep ball (or am i rememberin' wrong?)...he had beautiful touch...but he has missed most of his long balls this year(or am i rememberin' wrong?)...odd...

He's hit about a third of them which is league average. Just seems like he missed more because we don't take that many. We are a hybrid WCO that will chew clock and pitch and catch up/down the field. 

12 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Riggo: Why do you think Kirk isn't leaving?  Do you think we'll be the high bidder?

I see Kirk staying right here and after all the years of terrible QB play I wouldn't mind him staying.Yes he has missed some open Receivers but I have had a blast watching him the past two years.

BB W8 pods… 1. In Appreciation of Kirk Cousins (6 mins; http://bit.ly/2f5ybaz ) 2. Blogcast S2E8 (38 mins; http://bit.ly/2dVeqj9 )

The first one is on Kirk,, really worth the listen. 

If you're a dedicated Kirk-basher, I implore you to listen and consider.

14 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

If Jags or Rams want to pay him 25 mil a year, I'll gladly take Bortles or Goff off their hands. 

Goff is a mystery to me - he might come good but i think the Rams coaches should have been honest in the first place  if this is going to be a red shirt year and have a guy there who can look the part Goff can learn from -

i think if the Rams or the Jags were willing (directly or indirectly) to do that then you have to consider what you are getting ... 

16 hours ago, Unbias said:

The Texans gave him more than the Broncos were willing and that has committed them more to him being the continued starter. 

How isn't that greener? His 4-3 team is doing worse than Denver at 5-2, but he's considered a leader and is part of their future. Broncos just wouldn't commit that he's there guy.

Back to Kirk and how this applies if he hits FA and another team offers him more money in terms of total contract and guarantee how isn't that a better deal? 

What we are not saying is, if Denver had committed to  him with more money then maybe instead of 5-2 they are 6-1 or better.  And maybe come playoff time he gets them a win with a timely throw.  The story has not yet been written if Denver did the right thing and let him go.

15 hours ago, Unbias said:

Brock is statistically the 26th ranked quarterback in the league.  Would you be happy as a GM/Coach/Owner if that was your $72m investment?  He's terrible.  A 58% passer with 8 td's and 8 pickles.  They're not winning because of him and for that amount of money, he should be much better.  They got punked by the Pats, Broncos, and Vikes this year and weren't in any of those games.  Houston isn't close to winning anything anytime soon.  If he took the Broncos deal, that means they would have committed to him being the continued starter, too.  Just because you take more money somewhere doesn't make it a "better deal."  I get these guys want to get paid, but they also want to win.  Being realistic, Houston has no chance to beat the top teams in the playoffs, even if they snap off a win in that weak ass division.  That's why after all is said and done, he'd wish he'd stayed in Denver.  But Denver has to be pumped he didn't take their deal.

Elway and GMSM are looking to be smart with their frugality in regards to their QB situation this past off-season.  The Redskins might spend more money in the long run on Kirk, but I think it was prudent of the team to make him prove it again.  GMSM would have LOVED for Kirk to take the $16m deal, because that would totally be a huge discount going forward if Kirk played similar to 2015.  Kirk is playing well enough this year that he'll get a much higher offer next year. 

"Since Cousins was named starting QB of the Washington Redskins in September of 2015, he has attempted 808 passes and has thrown 17 interceptions. That is an interception percentage of 2.1%, a lower percentage than Eli Manning (2.25), Matt Ryan (2.33), Cam Newton (2.37), Andrew Luck (2.81) and Ben Roethlisberger (3.17). Big Ben has thrown 5 more picks than Cousins in 6 fewer games

While he has protected the ball, he is also doing more with it. He is 11th in the NFL with 39 TD passes. If you combine Cousins's passing and rushing touchdowns (45), he has five more total touchdowns than Russell Wilson (40). You may say “Yes but Russell Wilson wins”, but I’ll bet you would be surprised to know that Russell Wilson has only accounted for one more victory (14) than Kirk Cousins (13) since the start of last season. In fact, Cousins' 13 wins as a starter is seventh in the league and it’s the same number of wins as Joe Flacco and Philip Rivers...COMBINED.

Want more numbers? Here you go. Since he was named the starter, Kirk Cousins has the 6 th best QB Rating (98.5) in the league and is #1 in completion percentage (68.81) better than Drew Brees (68.33) and Matthew Stafford (67.47). If Cousins maintains his career completion percentage of 65.5% for another 285 pass attempts (to reach the minimum 1500 pass attempts to qualify), he will be 3rd ALL-TIME in completion percentage, tied with Kurt Warner and better than Peyton Manning (65.3). The argument to completion percentage is Cousins dinks and dunks his way to a high completion percentage...WRONG!

Since being named starter, Cousins’ yards per attempt is 7.63, which is 7th in the NFL That's .11 behind Drew Brees (7.74), and better then noted gunslingers Jay Cutler (7.62) and Rivers (7.52)."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1721709-why-it-s-time-to-pay-kirk-cousins

19 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

If Jags or Rams want to pay him 25 mil a year, I'll gladly take Bortles or Goff off their hands. 

What if they want to pay him $22M/year with $50M guaranteed?  Last I checked our offer was $16M/year with $24M guaranteed.

2 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Kirks not going anywhere unless we let him, I think some may be forgetting that.

Kirk is going wherever he wants unless we tag him again.

21 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Kirk is going wherever he wants unless we tag him again.

Except other teams won't be able to negotiate with him until he hits FA.

So we'll be able to work a deal with him first.

Guy is smart, and I'm pretty sure he's following the Brock Osweiler experiment closely, as the whole NFL.

If he's legit, be assured we'll get a deal done. We've got Dan Snyder at the helm. Someone that once paid 100% for Albert Haynesworth. We're not going to shy away from signing him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652156/article/skins-gm-on-cousins-let-me-overpay-him-if-hes-good

Words from our own GM. If Kirk's good, we'll pay him whatever he wants, or close to.

Edit: Don't be afraid, Kirk won't walk if we don't want him to. We have plenty of ammo to keep him in here. It's not like we're cap strained right now.

Archived