Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, NOT IMPRESSED

Riggo'sRangers

The thing about Kirk is he finds a way when the game is on the line, I can't remember us being in a situation at the end of the game where we needed to score and KC failed.

The Atlanta game is the only one I can think of but I put that on Grant, some may disagree with me on that.

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

In my previous reply when I referred to Kirk as being somewhat "robotic" in the way he plays QB, I can also acknowledge that it could be due to him being a 2nd year starter in the offense. He might start scanning the field and being more confident to go off script the longer her plays in the offense. At least that is what you hope.

And he is starting to do that a little.  I also believe playing under the tag can't be all good for him, he is under a lot of pressure.  Just imagine what this guy had to go thru to get where he is.  Even in college he had to fight to start.  So here he is a 4th round pick that has to fight the darling Washington DC only to start 4 years later and expect to play at a very high level.  Now he needs to do it all over again. 

20 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

And he is starting to do that a little.  I also believe playing under the tag can't be all good for him, he is under a lot of pressure.  Just imagine what this guy had to go thru to get where he is.  Even in college he had to fight to start.  So here he is a 4th round pick that has to fight the darling Washington DC only to start 4 years later and expect to play at a very high level.  Now he needs to do it all over again. 

But that worries me in that the pressure affects his poise on the field (maybe). Every QB faces pressure, some thrive under it, some cave some just don't let it affect them, but what changes if he signs a big contract? Will the pressure still be there to play up to it? What about playoffs and the pressure there? Not saying he wouldn't thrive, but I remember the playoff game and the Monday Nighter against Dallas and he played small in both. 

To me he didn't really do much to earn the starting job so much as RG3 failed spectacularly and Colt is Colt. He almost got it by default. He's taken the reigns and run, but it's not like, say Alfred Morris in 2012 fighting for the starting position based on his play during preseason.

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

But that worries me in that the pressure affects his poise on the field (maybe). Every QB faces pressure, some thrive under it, some cave some just don't let it affect them, but what changes if he signs a big contract? Will the pressure still be there to play up to it? What about playoffs and the pressure there? Not saying he wouldn't thrive, but I remember the playoff game and the Monday Nighter against Dallas and he played small in both. 

To me he didn't really do much to earn the starting job so much as RG3 failed spectacularly and Colt is Colt. He almost got it by default. He's taken the reigns and run, but it's not like, say Alfred Morris in 2012 fighting for the starting position based on his play during preseason.

Using small game sample sizes like the playoffs is a little unfair. How long did it take Peyton Manning to win a playoff game? Or Tony Romo? I don't think Matt Ryan has won one yet.

And you can't say he caved under pressure when he led us to four wins in a row to end last year to get us the division title, including going into Philly in a game that decided the NFC East and absolutely torched them. He also rallied us to our biggest come from behind win in franchise history.

7 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

No question about it the second fumble was on him, he should have falling down but if freaking Jones had any skills in handling the damn ball maybe he could have handled the bad hand off.   Why do I feel Thompson there would somehow gotten that ball tucked.

I feel like there are a lot of backs in the league who would have been able to grab that ball.  Even even though kirk stumbles, he still gets the ball on matts hip before he falls down.  Jones was not even close to grabbing it, his ball skills seem really bad sometimes.  I think its an unnecessary risk every time he touches the ball.  It is worrying that it is taking the coaches so long to see it.  I would never have kept him in the game after the first two turnovers.    I hope Kelly is starting asap.. well see. 

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Using small game sample sizes like the playoffs is a little unfair. How long did it take Peyton Manning to win a playoff game? Or Tony Romo? I don't think Matt Ryan has won one yet.

And you can't say he caved under pressure when he led us to four wins in a row to end last year to get us the division title, including going into Philly in a game that decided the NFC East and absolutely torched them. He also rallied us to our biggest come from behind win in franchise history.

I didn't say he caved, just definitely played smaller, almost as if the more he's expected to thrive the less he does. He should have torched that Dallas defense but just had one brain fart after another.

And granted, it is a very small sample size. I'm just basing off of what has happened already not what will. It's a little unfair comparing him to Manning and let's be honest, as good as their stats are, no one hopes that Cousins is another Romo or Ryan because of exactly that - their playoff records. I have way more confidence in Cousins when it comes to playoffs than I do those other two primarily because of what you said - it's only a small sample size in terms of playoff history.

9 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I feel like there are a lot of backs in the league who would have been able to grab that ball.  Even even though kirk stumbles, he still gets the ball on matts hip before he falls down.  Jones was not even close to grabbing it, his ball skills seem really bad sometimes.  I think its an unnecessary risk every time he touches the ball.  It is worrying that it is taking the coaches so long to see it.  I would never have kept him in the game after the first two turnovers.    I hope Kelly is starting asap.. well see. 

There's a difference between a QB putting the ball in his gut and it being tossed in there. Can't blame anyone on that play. It was just unfortunate. No one's fault. Not on Cousins because it was a bang bang play, not on Long because he was mauled immediately off the line and not on Jones because it's impossible to adjust that quickly to a botched handoff like that. Sometimes **** happens. 

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I would say he does it right now mostly on plays that are busted and he is scrambling while looking to make a passing play still. He is pretty good on those plays. However in the pocket I still think he is passing up on superior options because of the script which he sticks to.  I also have a question about Gruden's offense and whether Gruden coaches specifically to stick to the script or what. I know some QB's are so worried about making a mistake that they seem to fall back on the easy option every time.  

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

There's a difference between a QB putting the ball in his gut and it being tossed in there. Can't blame anyone on that play. It was just unfortunate. No one's fault. Not on Cousins because it was a bang bang play, not on Long because he was mauled immediately off the line and not on Jones because it's impossible to adjust that quickly to a botched handoff like that. Sometimes **** happens. 

Agreed.  You cant expect someone to grab that, although I think many backs could of.  So its not impossible. What is worrying is that he wasn't even close.  You might not be able to blame him for it, but its still builds on the narrative that he has a serious lack of ball skills.

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

The thing about Kirk is he finds a way when the game is on the line, I can't remember us being in a situation at the end of the game where we needed to score and KC failed.

The Atlanta game is the only one I can think of but I put that on Grant, some may disagree with me on that.

Endzone pick against Dallas. 

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I actually like how Kirk has looked without Jordan Reed. He's scanning the field and not simply locking into one target.

He scans the short intermediate areas, that's it. Once Reed returns, his production will continue, as this is the areas he often occupies. Not a bad thing, Brady is very similar.

An elite QB creates plays consistently throughout a game. Kirk is an system oriented AN, but must continue to work on making plays outside of the design from time to time. He made great progress with this 2 weeks ago.

Kirk was fine last game though, not as good 2 weeks ago, but played well enough to win.

3 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Oh poor Kirk lol.

Stop with this, he's been treated pretty damn well by this organization to date. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I believe we were winning the game. 

Sort of a technicality. You mentioned "can't remember us being in a situation at the end of the game where we needed to score and KC failed."

They did need to score. A FG would have sufficed, but a pick was the exact opposite. 

Just playing devil's advocate here, how about the hail mary that he threw out of bounds? 

I think it's clear that I like Kirk, but to say he hasn't messed up when the team needs him late in the game isn't accurate. 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

Sort of a technicality. You mentioned "can't remember us being in a situation at the end of the game where we needed to score and KC failed."

They did need to score. A FG would have sufficed, but a pick was the exact opposite. 

Just playing devil's advocate here, how about the hail mary that he threw out of bounds? 

I think it's clear that I like Kirk, but to say he hasn't messed up when the team needs him late in the game isn't accurate. 

My point was last drive of the game, I thought most would get that.  The pick vs the Cowboys was a killer, no doubt about it, 10 point lead with 8 minutes to go doesn't clinch the game but makes it very difficult on Dallas.

It was a missed opportunity.

Just now, jschuck12001 said:

My point was last drive of the game, I thought most would get that.  The pick vs the Cowboys was a killer, no doubt about it, 10 point lead with 8 minutes to go doesn't clinch the game but makes it very difficult on Dallas.

It was a missed opportunity.

That's sort of cherry picking isn't it? 

Anyway, in the same game he threw the the hail mary from the Dallas 41 yard line out of bounds. Technically that was the last drive and he didn't throw a catchable ball. 

The entire problem for the Redskins offense, Kirk included, is the redzone offense.  The Redskins offensive stats are fantastic and they sit in the top ten in essentially every major category with a notable exception: percentage of red zone drives that result in TDs.  We were significantly better last season.  Coaches are going to have to figure out what's going wrong and make some adjustment. 

Just now, Unbias said:

That's sort of cherry picking isn't it? 

Anyway, in the same game he threw the the hail mary from the Dallas 41 yard line out of bounds. Technically that was the last drive and he didn't throw a catchable ball. 

Let me dumb it down for you.

QB's butt holes pucker way up when they have 1 last drive to either tie or win the game, KC has been very good in those situations.

I already know he can score in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, everyone should want to know how their QB deals with pressure and the pressure that a QB feels in the last drive when you know you have to get points is much higher than with 8 minutes to go in the game.

8 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Let me dumb it down for you.

QB's butt holes pucker way up when they have 1 last drive to either tie or win the game, KC has been very good in those situations.

I already know he can score in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, everyone should want to know how their QB deals with pressure and the pressure that a QB feels in the last drive when you know you have to get points is much higher than with 8 minutes to go in the game.

Thanks for the dumb down. I wasn't getting your point....

Actually I still don't get it, but if his ability to score points with a tight sphincter makes you feel better about him then don't let me get in your way. 

23 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Thanks for the dumb down. I wasn't getting your point....

Actually I still don't get it, but if his ability to score points with a tight sphincter makes you feel better about him then don't let me get in your way. 

Are you really that stubborn?

So you're saying that you don't understand that situations of great pressure have an affect on athletes ability to make plays or be successful?

And you also don't understand the difference in the amount of pressure on a QB on the last drive of the game compared to a drive in the middle of a quarter?

"Kirk being Kirk." "Eli being Eli." Both of these QB's can be streaky and sometimes frustrating. But they both have "it". I feel totally confident in close games that, if we have the ball and need a score, Kirk is going to get it done. Even with an average team based on talent, I feel like Kirk can keep us in any game. Do I absolutely hate him for some of the decisions he makes? Yes, like every other fan, but he's playing well right now. I hope he continues to be efficient 

So I'm reading a lot of people are noticing Kirk's grit going into the second half of tight games and nearly always keeping us in a position to win, it has been pretty remarkable.

Another aspect of Kirk's game that cannot be taken for granted it is his professionalism mixed with an extreme desire to win. Now I know #12 in New England is much better than Kirk. However these are intangibles that they both possess and I think it's what makes Brady great and Kirk good. I watch a lot of football, and I see a lot of different qbs on the field, body language and the way they carry themselves tells a lot about a qb. Example being someone like jay Cutler, tangibles(big,strong armed) and very smart, however football isn't his passion in life it's just something he was really good at. Cam Newton another qb freak who could work harder at being a pro and doing whatever it takes for the TEAM. There are a few guys so professional and hard working that it forces them to be respected on the field. Eli Manning and Drew Brees come to mind, the game means a lot to them and they prove it in other ways than how far they can throw it, or if they are herculean like athletes. 

I think Kirk is a top notch prospect in intangibles, elite mindset. He just has to get over the hump on calming his nerves at times and I think he is well aware of this problem and doing everything in his power to get better. I am very happy and proud to have #8 under center. I hope to see many more seasons of his growth as a professional qb and human being. 

HTTR

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The entire problem for the Redskins offense, Kirk included, is the redzone offense.  The Redskins offensive stats are fantastic and they sit in the top ten in essentially every major category with a notable exception: percentage of red zone drives that result in TDs.  We were significantly better last season.  Coaches are going to have to figure out what's going wrong and make some adjustment. 

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the offense is largely effective when they spread out the receivers and really make the field bigger than it is. One thing I noticed is even though they aren't throwing deep, most defenses still have at least a couple guys deeper, which is normal. When you're within 15-20 yards, there is no reason for anyone to play deep. The field is smaller and it doesn't work for Cousins who, for the most part, isn't effective or at least isn't comfortable throwing in tight windows. Probably why there are so many fades. I don't think this offense is as WCO as it was, but there are still traits and bottom line is the whole point of WCO is to open up the running game. Even though he doesn't have the body for it, I wished this team would use CT in the redzone more often. He's shiftier and can still squeak through minimal holes. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

It's a shocking problem, to be honest. Gruden's offense's with the Bengals and then us last season have almost always been tops in that category.

Didn't expect it to be an issue like this, but they've slightly improved as the season went on, so that's promising at least. 

Archived