Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins reportedly re-signing Cullen Jenkins

NattyBo

Just as I feared a couple of weeks ago.  They cut him with plans to re-sign after Week 1 so his contract wasn't guaranteed.  And in turn sacrificed any benefit he might have to the dline in Week 1.

I have a feeling this won't be the only vet signing this week too.

Not a fan of this method.  But I am glad Jenkins is back on board.

11 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I'm going to assume we end up cutting someone more talented than Golston to make room for him...

Golston being the starting DT/NT is not his fault.  He's a fine rotational guy and backup.  He shouldn't be counted on for more.  

The idea that he was going to be a starter is a FO/Coaching Staff problem.  Not a player problem.  

17 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Wow, I just called that in the Dline thread a few minutes ago. Definitely needed and I don't expect this to be the last move.

Contract not guaranteed after Week One games completed for veteran players.

I'm not against this, but couldn't they have seen this going into the season?

Agree with Burgold - low risk move.

7 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Mike Jones of the Washington Post confirms that Jenkins is back.

Only question left is who gets cut to make room.

Matt Jones

7 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Good, now bring back Mr. Roast so we can have some meet on that fugly line

I posted in the game day thread, they might bring him back ONLY for short yardage situations.  He can't be worse than the talent-less doobies they have there now...

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

He's also not a run stopping defender which leaves your head shaking a little bit.

They couldn't rush the passer or stop the run.  So, eh, maybe try and fix one problem?  

2 minutes ago, NattyBo said:
Absolutely baffling.  This smells of panic and over rating the line we had, which, frankly, is shocking. 

Totally agree.

Panic move.

The FO had plenty of time to figure this out in the offseason. Not wait until after the first game of the season. This isn't fantasy football...

23 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Absolutely baffling.  This smells of panic and over rating the line we had, which, frankly, is shocking. 

I am frustrated, too.  But if the idea is plugging every weaknesses on the team in a couple of off seasons -- I think we might be asking too much from Scot.  Clearly, he knows the team isn't loaded everywhere -- he expressed it pretty directly in an interview in the off season. 

Most teams have a glaring weakness walking into the season and its not because they are unaware of the weakness its just that its difficult to plug every hole.   I don't mind the Jenkins signing -- if its a reflection of the FO being unhappy with what they saw last night -and that's "panicking" - that doesn't bother me.  

Why does everyone think this is a "panic" move? Seems just like signing a veteran after week one when salaries are no longer guaranteed. Since Jenkins was a fringe guy, it seems to just make financial sense to save a few $$$. Lots of teams do this. The Redskins did it last year with Will Blackmon

47 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Golston being the starting DT/NT is not his fault.  He's a fine rotational guy and backup.  He shouldn't be counted on for more.  

The idea that he was going to be a starter is a FO/Coaching Staff problem.  Not a player problem.  

He's a body.  I'm not sure he's anything more than that.  I think it's a stretch to call him a competent backup.  In all these years of us trotting him out there, not a single noticeable play comes to mind.  I don't recall ever hearing anything about him in the backfield, him making a sack, a fumble...anything.  And he's one of the longest tenured members of the team.  That, right there, my friend, tells us all we need to know.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am frustrated, too.  But if the idea is plugging every weaknesses on the team in a couple of off seasons -- I think we might be asking too much from Scot.  Clearly, he knows the team isn't loaded everywhere -- he expressed it pretty directly in an interview in the off season. 

Most teams have a glaring weakness walking into the season and its not because they are unaware of the weakness its just that its difficult to plug every hole.   I don't mind the Jenkins signing -- if its a reflection of the FO being unhappy with what they saw last night -and that's "panicking" - that doesn't bother me.  

SIP,

I would normally agree but we plugged essentially none of our glaring weaknesses this year save for ILB. That's not too much to expect from Scot and I think the panic re-signing of C Jenkins gives me even more pause given that the FO didn't recognize this in the offseason.

Archived