Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins reportedly re-signing Cullen Jenkins

NattyBo

You know Gruden knew our D would get run all over last night. And he probably knew Cullen would be back today.

Hey at least Jay putting Doc onto the field took a tiny bit of heat off of Scot. But Doc out in the first series just seemed so.... forced. I was stunned to see him (who is 18??) after thinking he was a likely inactive candidate. He did not get into the game again until the final drive when he got his first catch, so he clearly was not really in the game plan, even though it was a pass heavy day. Why sugar coat it, Doctson comes off as a luxury pick; meanwhile Keds was funneling protein shakes on draft day.

We need to provide some facts about GMSM..

1) He was not the GM in Seattle...he seems to get way too much credit for what he did there.

2) His record as GM in SF was terrible.

3) He drafted Kentwan Balmer in the 1st round.....proving once again, he has no clue about D-Line talent

I'm pissed off more than I thought I'd be this morning....carry on...

2 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Jenkins' original deal w Washington (one-year agreement) didn't feature any guaranteed money, so waiting to sign him now didn't help there.

Absolutely baffling.  This smells of panic and over rating the line we had, which, frankly, is shocking. 

I don't think the staff "overrated" the line, pretty sure they know what they have.  It's gonna take more than two drafts to get this team to where it needs to be in order to complete at a high level consistently. 

27 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

This myth that Scot had so many weaknesses to address that he just couldn't address the D-Line is complete, utter nonsense....You are denial...Scot failed....period...should he be fired?  not yet...but he gets one more year...that's it.

Nah you buggin.lol Way too early to call for his head.

It's Gruden & Company aka The Last of Bruce, who should be in the hot seat if this team doesn't perform well.

Make Room for Sheldon Richardson

http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/81470/make-room-for-sheldon-richardson-jets-de-is-back-and-hes-hungry

What a sweet position to be in. The Jets have unbelievable depth. Wasn't there talk of trading Wilkerson OR Richardson? I'm still after the Chargers for Corey Liuget but Richardson would be dominant here. Got to be somewhere we can trade/pluck for a DLineman who actually has talent.

I'm good with our undersized ILB I guess. Really wanted a FS. If we had a real center fielder last night, Bash ain't getting left alone.

Single high safety defense. Best WR in the game one on one with your CB2, who did pretty damn well actually, and no safety help? Nobody saw that coming? You guys didn't think of that?

Hey, were going to leave the best corner in the game on one side no matter what and not shift safety help. Solid plan. Morris coaching our DBs again? 

Where was I? Oh yeah, plenty of good true ILBs in this draft. Been a need for two decades. DL, FS and ILB should have been our priorities.

Our highest paid DL is Chris Baker, who is the 46th highest paid DL in the league.  You have to pay for talent.  Tried with Paea, Jean-Francois, Reyes, Cullen Jenkins, not all that talented.  It's been a plug and play on the DL for years.  Murphy, a tweener they can't figure out.  Jarvis Jenkins was the last true DL to be drafted and flopped.

The DL has been a weakness for years.  The current list of 2017 FA's is nothing to brag about either.

20 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Our highest paid DL is Chris Baker, who is the 46th highest paid DL in the league.  You have to pay for talent.  Tried with Paea, Jean-Francois, Reyes, Cullen Jenkins, not all that talented.  It's been a plug and play on the DL for years.  Murphy, a tweener they can't figure out.  Jarvis Jenkins was the last true DL to be drafted and flopped.

The DL has been a weakness for years.  The current list of 2017 FA's is nothing to brag about either.

Jeez.

That list is a regular murderers row.

Depressing.

26 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

We have been an unbalanced team for a while now. I broke down the salary cap by position last year and there were some extremes. Our secondary last year was something like 5% of our total cap with Blackmon being the highest paid, while our WR group took up a huge chunk (i think highest percent in the league last year). Now with Hatcher off the books and Norman on the books, it looks like our DT are the extreme in terms of not using resources. 

I think Kerrigan counts as a DL ... he almost exclusively just rushed the passer last night. 

Im amazed like everyone else that SM did not address the run D when he knew that was a huge need to address. I give him a slight pass on not addressing rushing the passer bc I think he was banking on gallette. Outside of Norman (who fell into our lap unplanned), i dont think we improved our personnel from last year. Not necessarily a bad thing but the league knows our weakness at this point. 

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Im amazed like everyone else that SM did not address the run D when he knew that was a huge need to address.

Everyone keeps saying this. What would you have done differently? There was no talent to be had this year that fit the 3-4 mold. We could have drafted someone, but other than that, this was going to be a problem this year one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

We cut Austin Reiter, the backup center.  For some inexplicable reason, the coaching staff is all in on Lichtensteiger.

After trying to replace him a couple times, I would say they still can't get anybody better (without trying harder that is).  Our needs have to more of a focus then BPA if we're serious about making runs in Kirk's prime.

3 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Guys please forget the Williams pick, we needed OL so I am ok with that.  That is not the point.  The point is this year's draft, the availability of several solid DL prospects and the fact we went WR, S/LB and CB with our first 3 picks. you can point to S being a need but the other two no way.  You just signed the most expensive CB in FA, you have Breeland/Dunbar where you can get by.  Where you can't get by is not doing a thing on your DL to help stop the run.  That to me was simply inexcusable.  .....

But lets also think about this.  Is it really the players or is it J Barry and how he coaches?  I mean what exactly has this guy done to improve in terms of coaching and scheming during games especially.  last night IMO he was deer in the headlights.  Zero adjustments that I could see, especially on Brown. 

This is about where I'm at. I'm actually a little more annoyed today than I was last night. Last night, I figured this is just the way it's supposed to be: Baby steps, take our time, they were expecting the DLine to be mediocre and they just need to find the right way to scheme around it.

What's changed my viewpoint since then is that the MORNING AFTER, we sign Cullen Jenkins AGAIN. It reeks of panicked reaction to the line getting blown apart; panic is the last thing I wanted or expected to see from the staff after the first game of the season.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying dump the staff or anything like that. I'm just saying that it doesn't give me confidence that there will be deep improvement over the beginning of the season.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Btw, called Jenkins next day, guess I'm not crazy.  I'll do a happy dance if we sign Pot Roast as well, just do it, ask questions later, its a need, I'm sorry, but its a need and the bodies that be just got exposed.

i would definitely be ringing pot roast up right now, hell i'll deliver the first pot roast to him, but a little humility may have helped him, him and bakers are good buds, and at least see what he has, can't hurt anything

i think kedric golston is actually a hell of an extra lineman to bring in on short yardage plays, i can't tell how many times he would get penetration and break up the play then, but he is just not a starting lineman in the NFL

4 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

You know Gruden knew our D would get run all over last night. And he probably knew Cullen would be back today.

Hey at least Jay putting Doc onto the field took a tiny bit of heat off of Scot. But Doc out in the first series just seemed so.... forced. I was stunned to see him (who is 18??) after thinking he was a likely inactive candidate. He did not get into the game again until the final drive when he got his first catch, so he clearly was not really in the game plan, even though it was a pass heavy day. Why sugar coat it, Doctson comes off as a luxury pick; meanwhile Keds was funneling protein shakes on draft day.

Doctson won't seem a luxury pick if both Garcon and Desean decide they don't want to come back next season and other teams are overpaying for mediocrity. 

6 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Good, now bring back Mr. Roast so we can have some meet on that fugly line

We had pot roast all of last season and had an abysmal run defense. I don't think he improves the line in the slightest. 

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I wish people would get over Leonard. Scherff has been everything we needed, including last night. Without Scherff, I doubt we break even last season.

You want something to crow about? How about taking a receiver in the 1st round when both lines are still in dire need of players?

Fans are going to fuel this comparison for years. Minds well get used to it

1 hour ago, PapaLazarou said:

Doctson won't seem a luxury pick if both Garcon and Desean decide they don't want to come back next season and other teams are overpaying for mediocrity. 

Do you think he is a luxury pick for this season? We can only grade the pick right now. 

Maybe they are considered mediocre in fantasy land. Both are legit starters in this league. If they bail, we will over pay for some other mediocrity, or burn another top pick, if that were to happen. Maybe both want to stay and see where this goes; or maybe we add 3 FA stud WRs next year; its all speculation

And our needs on the DL will still remain. 

I dont know if its true or not, but in FA it seems a lot easier to get a good WR vs a good DL. 

25 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe they are considered mediocre in fantasy land. Both are legit starters in this league. If they bail, we will over pay for some other mediocrity, or burn another top pick, if that were to happen.

I dont know if its true or not, but in FA it seems a lot easier to get a good WR vs a good DL. 

In FA though you pay through the nose for either position.  Heck years ago they paid Garcon at the time borderline elite money, 8 million a year, for a WR who was good but not one of the top 10 best in the league.  Looking at FA, I guess I would have liked to sign D.Harrison who some say was overpaid -- will see how that ends up.

This isn't directed at you -- I am just launching a point.  I think 90% of becoming a serious contender is about the draft.  FA as a quick fix has mostly been a dud across the league.  And its tough for me to look at the draft just in theory -- I like to look at the options at the time.  So lets take Doctson.  Would I rather have Doctson or lets say K. Clark or Butler or Nkemdiche?   I was more of a Doctson guy and said so in the draft thread before we picked him.  The next best shot was the 2nd round:  Cravens or M. Collins, J. Bullard?  On that one at the time I was more of a Bullard guy.  But the idea of shoring up the defense with a guy who can help stop the run in nickel where they got gashed last season -- didn't seem at all like a luxury pick.

I don't think Doctson is a luxury pick either.  Garcon and D. Jax will be 30.  We don't have a WR outside of Reed that's a legit red zone target.  If Doctson is anywhere near what some of the more optimistic comparisons (Dez, and AJ Green) about him are, I doubt in 2017 we'd be whining that we took him over Maliek Collins. Some might not recall but back when the Cowboys drafted Dez, he was considered by some a luxury pick.  Austin was good and they traded for Roy Williams so they were fine at WR.  Dallas had bigger needs than WR but they actually not only drafted the dude but traded up to get him.  Many draft geeks had Doctson ranked higher than where he was drafted, including some having him as top 10 as the draft got near -- I posted all those articles when we drafted him.

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5127527

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys moved up in the draft Thursday to select Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant.

The Cowboys, needing a safety and offensive line depth, elected to go for a wide receiver with the 24th pick of the first round. Dallas switched first-round picks with the New England Patriots, moving from the 27th overall pick.

In exchange for the 24th selection, Dallas gave up its 90th pick (in the third round) for New England's 119th (in the fourth round).

Bryant, who was in DeSoto, Texas, on Thursday night, hugged his friends and family members as the Cowboys pick was announced on television.

"I'm not disappointed at all," Bryant said of sliding down the draft board. "Me falling to the Cowboys, that's the best thing that could ever happen to me. I'm so happy. I'm excited. I'm ready to go to work."

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Do you think he is a luxury pick for this season? We can only grade the pick right now. 

Maybe they are considered mediocre in fantasy land. Both are legit starters in this league. If they bail, we will over pay for some other mediocrity, or burn another top pick, if that were to happen. Maybe both want to stay and see where this goes; or maybe we add 3 FA stud WRs next year; its all speculation

I didn't mean they were mediocre. I meant other F.A. And yes, I do think that D-Line is a big need and perhaps it could have overruled the B.P.A. But I'm just saying, we won't know until a few years down the road what the right move is.

5 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Guys please forget the Williams pick, we needed OL so I am ok with that.  That is not the point.  The point is this year's draft, the availability of several solid DL prospects and the fact we went WR, S/LB and CB with our first 3 picks. you can point to S being a need but the other two no way.  You just signed the most expensive CB in FA, you have Breeland/Dunbar where you can get by.  Where you can't get by is not doing a thing on your DL to help stop the run.  That to me was simply inexcusable.  Lets not even start on RB, what exactly is Scott see in this Jones character I have zero idea.  Maybe we are all wrong, maybe he is very serviceable but in such a case why not resign Morris?  His cost is next to nothing in the scheme of things.  You can't tell me he wouldn't have been a little more effective last night.

But lets also think about this.  Is it really the players or is it J Barry and how he coaches?  I mean what exactly has this guy done to improve in terms of coaching and scheming during games especially.  last night IMO he was deer in the headlights.  Zero adjustments that I could see, especially on Brown. 

Ok this is hard for me to type because I'm like you, an armchair-GM...  but lets try to see where GMSM was coming from.  You have DJax who is our best WR right now but he has has lingering issues staying healthy.  He's going to want more money then he is probably worth next season.  A good chance he will be gone.  Same with Garcon, good chance he will want more money then hes worth.  So our WRs for next season could possibly be Crowder, Ryan Grant and Rashad Ross.  The value of Doctson where we picked him was a STEAL.   Almost the same can be said for Cravens... Our 2 starting MLBs werent even relevant 2 years ago.  Mason Foster barely making rosters and Will Compton who probably shouldn't have made ours last year had we had the proper depth at that position. Cravens is a guy who could possibly have a chance at keeping up with those athletic tight ends that scorched us last year (remember the Giants games?)... Cravens was sought after by the Patriots for gosh sakes... they wanted him so badly.  Nothing wrong with the Fuller pick either.  Hall is declining fast, Breeland will be steady and so will Josh Norman.  Outside of those 2 everyone else is major question marks and stop gaps until the next season.  The value of our #1-3 picks were incredible. 

Remember how fast we were to writing our draft class off last year?  "Suh made lunch meat out of Scherff..." "Preston Smith?  He doesn't fit our 3-4 scheme!!!" Our draft was written off after week 1 last year.  Can you imagine next year if we didnt draft Doctson and Cravens?  You'd be screaming next year that we're giving Cousins all this money but has he no one to throw to...  same with the MLBs it'll be the same as it was back when we had Rocky Mcintosh.....  Headaches and missed tackles galore.

Archived