Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins reportedly re-signing Cullen Jenkins

NattyBo

29 minutes ago, HtownRocks111 said:

Remember how fast we were to writing our draft class off last year?  "Suh made lunch meat out of Scherff..." "Preston Smith?  He doesn't fit our 3-4 scheme!!!" Our draft was written off after week 1 last year.  Can you imagine next year if we didnt draft Doctson and Cravens?  You'd be screaming next year that we're giving Cousins all this money but has he no one to throw to...  same with the MLBs it'll be the same as it was back when we had Rocky Mcintosh.....  Headaches and missed tackles galore.

Doctson can turn into an all pro this season, he's still not going to do much to help the team win

1 minute ago, carex said:

Doctson can turn into an all pro this season, he's still not going to do much to help the team win

No one in the NFL draft of 2016 could have helped us win a single game this year.  No one.  The draft is about the future.  My post was being critical of a guy who I thought was being too critical about not addressing DL needs in the draft.

1 minute ago, HtownRocks111 said:

No one in the NFL draft of 2016 could have helped us win a single game this year.  No one.  The draft is about the future.  My post was being critical of a guy who I thought was being too critical about not addressing DL needs in the draft.

there's already been rookies who've helped their teams win

Maybe it's worthwhile seeing if Knighton could be signed to another one-year, 'prove it' contract.  Considering his bargaining power has eroded, it might be cheaper than his previous contract.  

After all, Knighton knows the schemes and supposedly was in better shape than when he was with the Skins.  His problem in New England was that he wasn't doing so well in the Patriot's 2-gap schemes.  He'd be a good fit for Barry's 1-gap style of defense.

I think an extra defensive tackle (and one less under-performing Kendall Reyes) might be the ticket to having a tougher run defense.

With the 5th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Leonard Williams from the University of Southern California

With the 22nd pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Robert Nkemdiche from the University of Mississippi

Had those two things taken place our defense would be looking a whole lot better right now....a whole lot better.

14 hours ago, MemphisSkin76 said:

With the 5th pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Leonard Williams from the University of Southern California

With the 22nd pick in the 2016 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Robert Nkemdiche from the University of Mississippi

Had those two things taken place our defense would be looking a whole lot better right now....a whole lot better.

Quite possibly.... We'd be stopping the run quite well.  What would your solution be tho to scoring a point on offense with Colt Mccoy or Nate Sudfield at QB?  Our QB would be out for the year last year and this year.

18 hours ago, carex said:

To me this is the operative point.  I agree he might not help much THIS season but I don't care.  It's about the long haul not this season.  Heck taking Carlos Rodgers in the top 10 was the right fix THAT season.  But over the long haul, it was arguably a mediocre pick.  If Docston ends up a stud, I don't care that he didn't make a bigger dent in 2016.   The next D lineman taken in the draft post Doctson was Kenny Clark.  Clark got banged up in the preseason, not sure he's even a starter, yet.  I don't see how we can talk D line without talking which D lineman we should have took.   IMO it's not as if any d lineman in theory we have taken would be very good or a stud.  It's which guy are we convinced would be that impact guy and make a bigger impact than Doctson over the long haul. 

I get the Leonard Williams drill because its a tangible tit for tat comparison with Scherff.  I don't put much stock in it mainly because Scherff has been at least good so far and Scot arguably was the GM who struck gold above all others in the 2nd round with the D line with Preston Smith.   I think even if he blew it (I don't think he blew it) in the first round boy did the dude make up for it in the 2nd.

2 hours ago, HtownRocks111 said:

Quite possibly.... We'd be stopping the run quite well.  What would your solution be tho to scoring a point on offense with Colt Mccoy or Nate Sudfield at QB?  Our QB would be out for the year last year and this year.

I was sure Williams was a lock to us and he should have been. I swallowed it because OLine is an issue.

However, Ribs and Rieter can play guard. Lots of people can play guard. And we still get crushed in the middle.

13 minutes ago, s0crates said:

What if you can run, but your coaches decide they just don't want to?

How very Zen koan of you.  To paraphrase, Sarte, man is condemned to be free.  There is nothing we can do about Gruden.  He is what he is.  Hopefully, he becomes as good as he can possibly be, and then we should judge.  I agree that the abandonment of the running game is really unfortunate.  A strong running game is at least some (relatively high) percentage of commitment and persistence.  

Archived