Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins reportedly re-signing Cullen Jenkins

NattyBo

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am frustrated, too.  But if the idea is plugging every weaknesses on the team in a couple of off seasons -- I think we might be asking too much from Scot.  Clearly, he knows the team isn't loaded everywhere -- he expressed it pretty directly in an interview in the off season. 

Most teams have a glaring weakness walking into the season and its not because they are unaware of the weakness its just that its difficult to plug every hole.   I don't mind the Jenkins signing -- if its a reflection of the FO being unhappy with what they saw last night -- that doesn't bother me.  

This is true, but not addressing the lines makes all the other stuff irrelevant.  If you can't run, and you can't stop the run, you aren't going to win games in this league.  It's that simple.

Just now, skins4eva said:

He's a body.  I'm not sure he's anything more than that.  I think it's a stretch to call him a competent backup.  In all these years of us trotting him out there, not a single noticeable play comes to mind.  I don't recall ever hearing anything about him in the backfield, him making a sack, a fumble...anything.  And he's one of the longest tenured members of the team.  That, right there, my friend, tells us all we need to know.

He's JAG.  He's also survived 3 GMs (if you count Vinny, Allen and GMSM), and however many coaches/coordinators.  So he's doing something right.  

He's not awesome, but he's fine.  I agree, though.  When they don't need him anymore, it's a sign that we have better players. 

I said the same thing about Reed Doughty.  We knew that the safety position was addressed when he wasn't on the team as a safety blanket, no pun intended.  

21 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

This is true, but not addressing the lines makes all the other stuff irrelevant.  If you can't run, and you can't stop the run, you aren't going to win games in this league.  It's that simple.

I get the point.  And I am a big O line-D line guy myself.  But the idea that you can't win games in this league, its that simple -- is hyperbole.  They couldn't stop the run or run the ball last season and won the division. 

57 minutes ago, Alexa said:

This move isn't going to fix anything. We need to address this issue in the 17 draft.

It should have been the first thing SM addressed in 2015 and 2016...he failed...miserably

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Leonard Williams had 2.5 sacks, 7 QB hits 6 tackles and was a dominate force on Sunday.  Just sayin'

Scherff is a "football player"

11 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Leonard Williams had 2.5 sacks, 7 QB hits 6 tackles and was a dominate force on Sunday.  Just sayin'

I wish people would get over Leonard. Scherff has been everything we needed, including last night. Without Scherff, I doubt we break even last season.

You want something to crow about? How about taking a receiver in the 1st round when both lines are still in dire need of players?

1 hour ago, NattyBo said:

I think it'll be Kendall Reyes. 

Was told a lot of coaches and some officials wanted to keep Jenkins all along, but that some in the building were more loyal to holdovers.

Snyder was seen having dinner with Golston..at Morton's...no, wait...Golston was seen with Tom Cruise and Snyder at the premiere of Jack Reacher....

It's only a matter of time before Snyder gets blamed for the D-Line...the "genius" GM wanted to draft D-Lineman, but Snyder loves toys and wanted Doctson.

They wanted to cut Golston, but Snyder wouldn't let them.

Etc.....

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I wish people would get over Leonard. Scherff has been everything we needed, including last night. Without Scherff, I doubt we break even last season.

You want something to crow about? How about taking a receiver in the 1st round when both lines are still in dire need of players?

My big thing on that point is we got Preston Smith in the 2nd round. If we are going to nail Scot by saying he picked Scherff over Williams then how about some look at the dolt teams who picked Shane Ray and Gregory way before we took Preston Smith.

Just one thing to remember when casting stones and salivating over Williams.

He's playing on a line with Richardson and Wilkerson. We don't have one guy on our line like that, let alone two. They DEMAND  focus, which  takes some off Williams.

Simply assuming he'd be similarly dominant with Baker and Kedric with him is likely incorrect. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My big thing on that point is we got Preston Smith in the 2nd round. If we are going to nail Scot by saying he picked Scherff over Williams then how about some look at the dolt teams who picked Shane Ray and Gregory way before we took Preston Smith.

Shhh, we judge the GM singularly  on supposed misses, not on any hits. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am frustrated, too.  But if the idea is plugging every weaknesses on the team in a couple of off seasons -- I think we might be asking too much from Scot.  Clearly, he knows the team isn't loaded everywhere -- he expressed it pretty directly in an interview in the off season. 

Most teams have a glaring weakness walking into the season and its not because they are unaware of the weakness its just that its difficult to plug every hole.   I don't mind the Jenkins signing -- if its a reflection of the FO being unhappy with what they saw last night -and that's "panicking" - that doesn't bother me.  

oh you mean we drafted Doctson because we were weak at WR?  This past draft we should have gone DL with the 1st and 2nd pick and if we needed to move up then spend some capital (a 4th-5th etc) to move up a few spots to get the player you need.

14 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

He's playing on a line with Richardson and Wilkerson. We don't have one guy on our line like that, let alone two. They DEMAND  focus, which  takes some off Williams.

Simply assuming he'd be similarly dominant with Baker and Kedric with him is likely incorrect. 

Williams was regarded as the best player in the draft.  He played a position that those of us thinking longer term than the next season recognized would be a need.  He is simply playing up to his projection, using the other players to deflect this is unfair. Would he be just as dominate here?   It's fair to say maybe not. But it doesn't change the fact that we passed on the rare chance to get a game changing player for the safe pick in Scherff.  He has been good but let's not make him out to be Steve Hutchison just yet. 

Just now, ZRagone said:

I wanted to trade for Wilkerson so badly this offseason. Garcon and a pick.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

This myth that Scot had so many weaknesses to address that he just couldn't address the D-Line is complete, utter nonsense....You are denial...Scot failed....period...should he be fired?  not yet...but he gets one more year...that's it.

Way way way too premature for this kind of talk. The way to win in this league is to draft BPA.  It is surprising that no DL were rated close to BPA on every pick of this last draft which was reportedly the best DL draft in memory.  But if SM rated those who were picked as better players I'm on board with that. 

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

This myth that Scot had so many weaknesses to address that he just couldn't address the D-Line is complete, utter nonsense....You are denial...Scot failed....period...should he be fired?  not yet...but he gets one more year...that's it.

Can't help but shake my head at posts like this.

Sure fire GMSM. Rehire Vinny too. Why the **** not.

21 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

oh you mean we drafted Doctson because we were weak at WR?  This past draft we should have gone DL with the 1st and 2nd pick and if we needed to move up then spend some capital (a 4th-5th etc) to move up a few spots to get the player you need.

Not sure what your point is?   I really think there are 3 types of mindsets that would let to frustration with Scot.

1.  You draft by need not BPA.  If we are going for need in the draft not BPA then the Scot hire should have been frustrating from the outset because he was very direct about that being his approach.  Vinny was more of a need guy -- hey we need a CB lets go get Carlos Rodgers. We need a WLB lets go get Rocky Mcintosh. That felt good perhaps in the moment but later those types of moves were proven to be mistakes.

2.  The idea that Parcell's once said, picking players is very hard and the better GM's in the league bat 50-50 -- that's all hogwash.  Scot should get it about all right or close enough.  And the team shouldn't really have glaring weaknesses after 2 off seasons.

3.  This plays off of point #1 -- we are inches from the Superbowl, so do whatever it takes to fill in those remaining gaps.  Screw 2017 or the future.  The future is now!  Maybe Doctson does end up an elite WR.  Maybe D. Jax and Garcon bail in 2017 and WR becomes a weaknesses but who cares -- it does nothing for the team now.

Personally, I am not in either of these three categories.  I don't think we are headed to the Superbowl in 2016.  I do want a long term plan in play.  And yeah I expect EVERY year that Scott and just about every GM in the league will have second guessing of heck the dude drafted this guy over that guy?   

Is John Scheider the best GM in the league as many say?  Or a dummy because he took Paul Richardson at WR over Allen Robinson?  I can nail him or any GM in every draft on something.

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Way way way too premature for this kind of talk. The way to win in this league is to draft BPA.  It is surprising that no DL were rated close to BPA on every pick of this last draft which was reportedly the best DL draft in memory.  

Oh really?    who had Scherff as a better player than Williams?     I'm all for BPA, but you have to fix your weaknesses, especially when you can't win without a D-Line and no pass rush....if you fail in free agency, you must address it in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wanted to trade for Wilkerson so badly this offseason. Garcon and a pick.

Wilkerson would have been great.  At least a 1st would be going back in return, but no way in hell any team, let alone the jets with the 2 WR's they have, would want Garcon and his 12th highest cap hit in the NFL amongst WRs.

4 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Can't help but shake my head at posts like this.

Sure fire GMSM. Rehire Vinny too. Why the **** not.

I can't help but shake my head at the people who just can't let Vinny go....he's been gone for 7 years....get over it....you guys are so beaten down; that you will overlook what SM has done, because you're so scared that Vinny will come back.

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I can't help but shake my head at the people who just can't let Vinny go....he's been gone for 7 years....get over it....you guys are so beaten down; that you will overlook what SM has done, because you're so scared that Vinny will come back.

I get it, you're waiting for a GM who bats .1000 . Good luck with that!

I can acknowledge that GMSM has made mistakes without saying ridiculous stuff like "he gets one more year or he's fired," which would be patently absurd.

Guys please forget the Williams pick, we needed OL so I am ok with that.  That is not the point.  The point is this year's draft, the availability of several solid DL prospects and the fact we went WR, S/LB and CB with our first 3 picks. you can point to S being a need but the other two no way.  You just signed the most expensive CB in FA, you have Breeland/Dunbar where you can get by.  Where you can't get by is not doing a thing on your DL to help stop the run.  That to me was simply inexcusable.  Lets not even start on RB, what exactly is Scott see in this Jones character I have zero idea.  Maybe we are all wrong, maybe he is very serviceable but in such a case why not resign Morris?  His cost is next to nothing in the scheme of things.  You can't tell me he wouldn't have been a little more effective last night.

But lets also think about this.  Is it really the players or is it J Barry and how he coaches?  I mean what exactly has this guy done to improve in terms of coaching and scheming during games especially.  last night IMO he was deer in the headlights.  Zero adjustments that I could see, especially on Brown. 

Archived