Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

"Unable to Remember" as if he ever knew them in the first place.

As far as the anthem issue, it's going to be this election cycle's Gay Marriage, Bathroom Bill, etc etc...stupid culture war issue that people fall for.  The false outrage will drive angry white people to the polls over an issue they don't even have the facts on and/or are just going along with the false narrative of.  Then in about 6 months they will have forgotten about the issue like it never mattered in the first place.

Conservatives have a fetish for picking awful social positions, being on the losing end of them and then complaining about persecution. 

For once, some introspection will serve them well as to why they consistently lose out on social issues.

There are many worthwhile causes to fight for yet they always seems to pick the most ridiculous ones to contest.

Edited by No Excuses

17 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Conservatives have a fetish for picking awful social positions, being on the losing end of them and then complaining about persecution. 

For once, some introspection will serve them well as to why they consistently lose out on social issues.

There are many worthwhile causes to fight for yet they always seems to pick the most ridiculous ones to contest.

Sort of. I agree with most of that, but what they tend to do as a strategy is they jump onto a social/culture war issue just before the tide turns against them on it, and they come up with ways to milk it for all it's worth for an upcoming election cycle.

Remember the transgender bathroom bill "culture war" issue?  Remember when it was common to see videos uploaded of people actually "monitoring bathrooms" and/or disrupting department stores because they were so outraged?  Magically all that anger and concern has disappeared in a matter of months following that election cycle. 

The right wing is uncanny in their ability to hit a nerve with a certain portion of the voting base, even if just temporarily. It's sad that it continues to work time and time again.

Issues that as soon as a month after the election no one cares about and/or it is conceded that the right wing was 100% wrong on, are still helping them win smaller local races in this country.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 12:33 PM, NoCalMike said:

The right wing is uncanny in their ability to hit a nerve with a certain portion of the voting base, even if just temporarily. It's sad that it continues to work time and time again.

Are people different than you?  Does this make you angry?  Vote Republican!

• 1 month later...

Just please go back to the pre 2009 way of doing things where the players ran onto the field after the anthem was done 

Who wouldn't enjoy the NY Giants running out of the visiting tunnel to a chorus of boos?

It's hard to take the accusations of disrespecting the flag seriously when the only reason this method of protest is possible is the kickback the league gets from selling patriotism to its audience. They found a way to monetize national pride and the players are using that time to protest. Who can blame them, really? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

It's hard to take the accusations of disrespecting the flag seriously when the only reason this method of protest is possible is the kickback the league gets from selling patriotism to its audience. They found a way to monetize national pride and the players are using that time to protest. Who can blame them, really? 

Person: Late stage capitalism is causing moral rot.

Undeterred capitalist: Right, but, and hear me out, what if we monetized the rot?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Funny, the Cardinals owner used their official Twitter account to promote the latest Supreme Court judge nominee. I thought the owners didn't want to be involved with politics. 

Cardinals' President but yeah keep politics out of sports (if you're a player)

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

They even censoring Kaps name from videogames

For some reason, the newest edition of the Madden franchise censors a lyric making direct reference to Kaepernick in one of the songs on its soundtrack. The line in question, from Big Sean’s verse on YG’s “Big Bank,” is “You boys all cap, I’m more Colin Kaepernick.” The strange edit was first noticed by a Twitter user, and was subsequently confirmed by Pro Football Talk thanks to their advance copy of the game.

https://deadspin.com/why-did-ea-censor-a-lyric-about-colin-kaepernick-in-mad-1828064120

14 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I don't know that they can use his name in the game if he isn't in the league and they aren't paying him any royalties....even from a verse in a song probably

You don't have to pay a person royalties to use their name in a song.

37 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

How sure are you about that?  I would imagine there would be some limits.  If a make a song called "Selma Hyack is smokin hot" and it goes triple plutonium or whatever, I'm not paying her anything?

48 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

maybe but being in an nfl game could muddy the waters...at least that's the only non conspiracy thing I can think of

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How sure are you about that?  I would imagine there would be some limits.  If a make a song called "Selma Hyack is smokin hot" and it goes triple plutonium or whatever, I'm not paying her anything?

https://www.janefriedman.com/permissions-and-fair-use/

No permission is needed to mention song titles, movie titles, names, etc.

You do not need permission to include song titles, movie titles, TV show titles—any kind of title—in your work. You can also include the names of places, things, events, and people in your work without asking permission. These are facts.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, Renegade7 said:

I'm very 'meh' on that song, anyway, most people are, but the opportunity for Irony is too hard to pass up here.  Knowing the words wouldn't make him a patriot anyway, either.  That's like me singing Jingle Bells while settings someone's Christmas tree on fire.

Watch Kate Smith's legendary version from Flyers games...goosebumps. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

https://www.janefriedman.com/permissions-and-fair-use/

No permission is needed to mention song titles, movie titles, names, etc.

You do not need permission to include song titles, movie titles, TV show titles—any kind of title—in your work. You can also include the names of places, things, events, and people in your work without asking permission. These are facts.

From the article:

Finally, if your use falls within “fair use,” you do not need permission. This is where we enter the trickiest area of all when it comes to permissions.

What constitutes “fair use” and thus doesn’t require permission?

There are four criteria for determining fair use, which sounds tidy, but it’s not. These criteria are vague and open to interpretation. Ultimately, when disagreement arises over what constitutes fair use, it’s up to the courts to make a decision.

Any chance they just err on the side of caution?  

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

From the article:

Any chance they just err on the side of caution?  

That would come into play if you slander a person's name, but if I used the line "l drive to the lane like Michael Jordan" he has no grounds to sue me if they decide to use it in NBA Live 2019.

It's especially straightforward with CP I'm almost positive all players sign a contract which states we can use your name and likeness for X years. 

This is just another example of the NFL creating an extra headache for themselves over this issue.

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

That would come into play if you slander a person's name, but if I used the line "l drive to the lane like Michael Jordan" he has no grounds to sue me if they decide to use it in NBA Live 2019.

It's especially straightforward with CP I'm almost positive all players sign a contract which states we can use your name and likeness for X years. 

This is just another example of the NFL creating an extra headache for themselves over this issue.

I'll take your word for it.  I'm no copyright lawyer.  But I bet the nfl consulted a mess of them.  I just doubt they did that for spite.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'll take your word for it.  I'm no copyright lawyer.  But I bet the nfl consulted a mess of them.  I just doubt they did that for spite.

I think you're giving the NFL way too much credit :cheers:.

Like you, I'm no lawyer so some expert might come in here and shoot me down. 

Well, that was quick!

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/02/colin-kaepernick-name-added-back-madden-19-song-ea-apology/

Colin Kaepernick's name will be added back to the soundtrack on Madden 19 ... according to a statement by the video game's developers.

According to EA, it was all an unfortunate misunderstanding. The company's taking the blame for Colin's name being scrubbed from YG's song "Big Bank" on the game, saying ... "We made an unfortunate mistake with our Madden NFL soundtrack. Members of our team misunderstood the fact that while we don’t have rights to include Colin Kaepernick in the game, this doesn’t affect soundtracks."

EA adds the edit never should have happened, and apologized to Kaep, the NFL, players and fans ... along with YG and Big Sean.

As we reported ... both rappers were pissed about what happened with the song, but EA insists it's going to make it right and update the tune -- with Colin's name back in -- on August 6.

Edited by spjunkies

5 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I think you're giving the NFL way too much credit :cheers:.

Like you, I'm no lawyer so some expert might come in here and shoot me down. 

I thin the NFL does every single thing they do with only a consideration for their bottom line.  That is the only reason I dont think they do something for spite.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I thin the NFL does every single thing they do with only a consideration for their bottom line.  That is the only reason I dont think they do something for spite.

You were right, it was on EA not the NFL (at least EA is taking the heat for this Issue publicly)

• Like 1