Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

16 minutes ago, Llevron said:

With the assumption that he understands fully what his actions represent, where he is, and why his protest matters and not just doing it because the NFL players are or because it will piss of Trump and white people across the land - No I have no problem with it. I would even endorse it. 

But thats assuming alot. Which would mean someone would have to talk to the teen and ask him/her these questions and get the answers. Not just assume its another black kid being disrespectful because they hate america. Which is half of the problem. Everyone thinks that the protests are intended to disrespect, when in reality its the exact opposite. That fact is being lost or clouded intentionally. 

Seeing the picture doesnt change this view at all. And if he doesnt know what hes doing, making his picture go viral and villainizing him does nothing to fix that. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I can't think of any, but would be open to considering any suggestions.

Racism hits in a big ole self reinforcing whammy.

First, overt racism leads to diminished opportunity, and greater poverty.

Second, greater poverty leads to greater crime (and associated ills)

third, that poverty related crime (plus some more racism) leads to greater stereotyping 

fourth, that stereotyping/pigeon-holing leads to greater racism and diminished economic opportunity

and all together this leads to an altogether lower level of optimism for the future within the stereotyped community, and a lower belief that hard work can lead to a place in a bright future.... which can lead to a lower level of striving and achievement.  

lots of white people like to fixate on that last part.....    lots of black people do too.....    but it tends to sound very different when the two groups discuss it.     

• Like 2

Well, this is.... Interesting. 

"The US Army has condemned the actions of a West Point grad and current infantry officer who has been posting pro-communism messages on social media as a show of support for Colin Kaepernick.

In one of his most recent posts, Second Lt. Spenser Rapone can be seen wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt under his military uniform.

In another, he holds up a fist and points his cap toward the camera — showing the words “Communism will win” scrawled on the inside.

“#VeteransForKaepernick,” Rapone wrote in the now-viral tweet, which was posted Sunday amid the NFL’s headline-grabbing national anthem protests"

http://nypost.com/2017/09/26/army-officials-condemn-west-point-grad-for-pro-kaepernick-tweets/

First of all, son, you're in West Point. You haven't done ****, frankly. Slow down on the 'veterans' talk. 

Secondly, the che t shirt. Just stop. 

third, what are you doing in the US military?

Edited by grego
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Arlington picture looks legit.. i do graphics, and the light and shadow in it leads me to believe it's authentic. 

I do note no one else in the photo seems to be having their moment disturbed by this young man.

Fact is, he is in Arlington at one of the most hallowed places in America.  Some may use that as their reason to be angry. Like the person who tweeted the pic.. who was playing with their phone instead of respecting the flag, but..  Me, I'll use the only fact I know..  he's there.

He could be somewhere else. But he's not. He's there. No matter what else,, he will learn what the place means. He won't be able to help it. His protest may last a few minutes, but Arlington will last with him a lot longer.
Did he go there specifically for this photo? Maybe, but I doubt it. (probably a school field trip.)

Being there may give him the opportunity to do this, but he will leave with something more than he came with. Arlington does that.

I'm supposing all of this, obviously. But i guess i could suppose the other way and assume who he is by his knee and the fact i can see a little bit of his underwear.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0704704234188182320-4

Drew Brees said his stance against anthem protests hasn't changed. But he said, "I don't blame the guys (who sat on the bench last week) for feeling like they needed to do something as a reaction to (President Trump's comments). ... Unfortunately I think he put all athletes, all black athletes, minority athletes, he put 'em in a corner and forced them to take action." Brees said he had a long conversation with DE Cameron Jordan on the way to Wednesday's practice and has talked with other teammates, with a goal of finding something they can do together that promotes unity rather than shows division. "I'm not sure if it's gonna be something this week. But I'm sure it will be something at some point," Brees said.

Mike Triplett, ESPN Staff Writer

42 minutes ago, grego said:

Well, this is.... Interesting. 

"The US Army has condemned the actions of a West Point grad and current infantry officer who has been posting pro-communism messages on social media as a show of support for Colin Kaepernick.

In one of his most recent posts, Second Lt. Spenser Rapone can be seen wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt under his military uniform.

In another, he holds up a fist and points his cap toward the camera — showing the words “Communism will win” scrawled on the inside.

“#VeteransForKaepernick,” Rapone wrote in the now-viral tweet, which was posted Sunday amid the NFL’s headline-grabbing national anthem protests"

http://nypost.com/2017/09/26/army-officials-condemn-west-point-grad-for-pro-kaepernick-tweets/

First of all, son, you're in West Point. You haven't done ****, frankly. Slow down on the 'veterans' talk. 

Secondly, the che t shirt. Just stop. 

third, what are you doing in the US military?

Well in my book Communists and Nazi's are on the same level. Since he actually claims to be a communist and communists want to overthrow the government I'm pretty sure that is reason enough for dismissal from the Army.

20 minutes ago, visionary said:

Yeah that is what Trump intended he was waiving a Red Blanket at a Bull and of course the Bull charged right onto the sword. He wanted the result he got. He completely manipulated the situation to his own advantage. Trump was the only winner in this, the rest of us (including the football fans that support him - lost).

Edited by nonniey
  • Sad 1

Sorry I am just now coming back to address the kid at the Tomb of the Unknown.  Im on the road so posting while driving is difficult.

From a thousand miles away, I view as the same as kneeling at games.  I dont like it but it is your right.  I also admit if I were actually there, my reaction may not have been so level headed.  Being a military member, having family that have been POWs, and having one family member who's remains were never recovered (admittedly someone I never met), I couldnt promise that if I were there and saw it that he wouldnt have gotten his ass kicked.

He reminds me of those Westboro idiots.  I get you have a point you want to make but choose your location with some freaking respect.  

Lastly, he appears to be a teenager and it is my belief all teenagers are idiots.  There for I am going to assume he doesnt even know what he is protesting other than the sound bite he heard on MTV.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Something about that Tomb of the Unknown original photo/post feels like it was manipulated somehow, but if not I don't think I have a problem someone doing it like that.

If it's a bunch of people doing it...maybe.

If people are shouting, carrying signs, or interrupting it, I think it would bother me.

I definitely didn't like the Wesboro stuff around funerals.  

I wouldn't dare begin to judge by that picture.  Maybe he was tired, maybe it had nothing to do with protests, but he didn't see anything wrong with it, or maybe he was moved by the NFL uniting...I don't know.   I'd have to ask him why he knelt but it's his right either way.

I don't see taking a knee as disrespect.  It makes a statement certainly, but that statement isn't insulting or disruptive.  In church during certain parts, some people do not kneel with everyone else.  They're making a statement, but they aren't insulting anyone else in doing so.  Respectful disagreement does not bother me, essentially anywhere or anytime.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, visionary said:

I think that's Mike Tomlin, though I'm not sure what he's doing in the picture.

That's what I thought.  Weird picture for them to use.  ?

ETA:  Looks like he's just using that specific finger to hold the headphone cord.  Kinda funny tho. 

Edited by TouchdownSkin

20 minutes ago, TouchdownSkin said:

I wouldn't dare begin to judge by that picture.  Maybe he was tired, maybe it had nothing to do with protests, but he didn't see anything wrong with it, or maybe he was moved by the NFL uniting...I don't know.   I'd have to ask him why he knelt but it's his right either way.

Maybe he's just an attention whore.  

I would like to know why it's never been a problem that people are in line at concession stands to get beers and food and talking all while the National Anthem is going on. This has happened at every stadium, at every game, every year. I mean if we are going to take political correctness to the extreme and demand everyone stand properly... 

• Like 8