Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

16 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Couldn't get logged on with my phone for **** during the game, I wanted to ask a question:  How were the Leafs defensemen totally hogging their goal when the puck got close, but ours didn't do much to help Holtby block at all (at least it seemed that way to me) through the whole series? 

You mean clearing the crease?  It's been a major problem since Erskine left.  If that's what your alluding to. 

So I just saw that we won the series last night. How about that? All of you naysayers thought they were going to lose but I was the only one who stood by them. I'm the only real fan. I'd say that I can't wait to find out who we play and when the first game is for the next round but it really doesn't matter... We're gonna get our asses kicked.

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that the Leafs might be a good warm up for the Penguins?

They're an energetic team that took some cheap shots and got away with a fair amount.  I see some parallels to the Penguins.

Lots of people have expressed this belief! So no you may be onto something.

11 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

So I just saw that we won the series last night. How about that? All of you naysayers thought they were going to lose but I was the only one who stood by them. I'm the only real fan. I'd say that I can't wait to find out who we play and when the first game is for the next round but it really doesn't matter... We're gonna get our asses kicked.

lol D.C. Fan ideology 101

53 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The team that we play in the next round already has been determined, as well as the dates. So you don't need to wait to find out :) 

I don't think the Leafs series did anything to prepare the Caps for the Pens. The Pens, defending champs, frigging Hall of Famers, huge rivalry, we hate them they hate us, etc. Even if style of play is similar, it won't make any difference.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't think the Leafs series did anything to prepare the Caps for the Pens. The Pens, defending champs, frigging Hall of Famers, huge rivalry, we hate them they hate us, etc. Even if style of play is similar, it won't make any difference.

The speed was a good test.  I can't remember where I saw it posted, but the Maple Leafs play with the fastest pace in the league and the Pens were 3rd. 

There is no better team in the league when putting forth a full 60-minute effort.  However, it's on them to flip the switch.

The talent has nothing to do with it. Its a psychological battle at this point. It doesn't seem to matter who wears the Penguin sweater, they play incredibly against us. Their career minor league goalie outplayed our Vezina trophy winner last year. Its pretty remarkable.

If this team is going to win the Cup, its gonna have to exorcise years of demons. People still talk about the Skins beating the Boys in the championship game the year they won their first Super Bowl. If the Caps are gonna break through, they need that signature moment too, that people talk about 30 years from now.

Here's the chart:

Caps SHOULD be better prepared going against the Pens after facing the Leafs.  Eventho Toronto is by far the "fastest" team in the league when looking at pace, it would be a harder transition for the Caps to make going forward if they just came out of a series vs. a "slower" team like the Rangers, B's, or Blue Jackets.  This past series was a GREAT wake-up call for Washington. 

This doesn't guarantee anything but these guys are usually right moreso than not. 

The Wild dominated their series in fancy stats but lost in 5. It's not foolproof but it's a good indicator 

The Pens beat CBJ because their goalie Bobrovsky was horrid. The key guy in this series is Holtby. Pens have issues. Can't give them goals tho

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This doesn't guarantee anything but these guys are usually right moreso than not. 

The Wild dominated their series in fancy stats but lost in 5. It's not foolproof but it's a good indicator 

The Pens beat CBJ because their goalie Bobrovsky was horrid. The key guy in this series is Holtby. Pens have issues. Can't give them goals tho

I believe in the NHL playoffs, stats mean almost nothing.  Picking the winner of any series is like putting a chip on Black or Red and hoping that you hit.  You have an (almost, not quite, but almost) 50% chance of being right.  

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I believe in the NHL playoffs, stats mean almost nothing.  Picking the winner of any series is like putting a chip on Black or Red and hoping that you hit.  You have an (almost, not quite, but almost) 50% chance of being right.  

Normal stats? Standings? Points? 

Sure

advanced stats? Right more often than not. Penguins led the league in all of them last year which is why a lot of stat geeks weren't surprised they smacked us. Caps finished something like 12-13th. 

Some of the guys actually had NSH beating CHI in 4-5 because NSH's underlying numbers are elite. 

i believe the last 5 or so SCF champions finished top 3 in scored adjusted corsi for. Again, it's not exact but if you pick the playoffs based on CF%, you'll be right more often than not. 

Again, there are exceptions. Boston was #1 in CF (they couldn't finish to save their lives tho) and LA was number 2 (couldn't finish either) 

You know what I don't want to see?  Stupid line matching that shorts the top line their due ice time and has the 4th line on the ice all the time to try and stop Crosby.

I think that was the turning point in the series against Toronto.  Trotz started playing The first two line a ton.  In both of the losses, Ovechkin had less than 20 minutes of ice time.

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

I feel that series was a lot more beneficial than the Philly series was last year.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

You know what I don't want to see?  Stupid line matching that shorts the top line their due ice time and has the 4th line on the ice all the time to try and stop Crosby.

I think that was the turning point in the series against Toronto.  Trotz started playing The first two line a ton.  In both of the losses, Ovechkin had less than 20 minutes of ice time.

It was good to see a coach acknowledge his mistake and not let it happen again. Nothing worse than a stubborn coach when a team loses. 

16 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Thoughts on Grant Paulsen as CSN's hockey guy? 

Stopped following him a while back cause he doesn't interact with anyone.  If you're a beat guy or a radio personality and you don't interact with the fans then I have no time for you.  It smells of petulance on his part.  Shame, cause I think he's a talented kid especially with baseball.  His football knowledge is wanting and he's just a fan in hockey and doesn't really know what he's talking about.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, Zazzaro703 said:

I'm telling you this Caps team is ready for those assholes in Pittsburgh. Used to the speed, overcame unreal bull**** puck luck, won OT games and in the most important period came out flying and rammed it down the leafs throat for the win. Caps of old it's the exact opposite.

Was going to post something similar. The Caps should be plenty "warmed up" for the Pens by now right? 

19 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You and me... Everyone else freaked the **** out. 

6 hours ago, DC9 said:

Stopped following him a while back cause he doesn't interact with anyone.  If you're a beat guy or a radio personality and you don't interact with the fans then I have no time for you.  It smells of petulance on his part.  Shame, cause I think he's a talented kid especially with baseball.  His football knowledge is wanting and he's just a fan in hockey and doesn't really know what he's talking about.

He is the absolute WORST to listen to when it comes to hockey.  He casually watches the games, but yet has the gall to call out longtime caps fans about their fandom.  It's baffling to me why CSN has him on the panel for the pre/post game shows.  He's very good w/ baseball/football like you said, but this was a bottom of the barrel hire for hockey. 

Reading his tweets are infuriating.  He really is clueless.  Talking about (in the 2nd period of game 6) how the Caps were doing all the right things and playing well.  No, Grant.  That was not the case as the ice was HEAVILY titled in the Leafs' favor.  There are countless other examples of him not knowing what he's talking about...

Archived