Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

Does this mean England is now kicked out of the European soccer championships?

Also the turnout was only like 60% for such an important vote? would BreXXXit have gotten a bigger turnout? These are the questions that need to be asked.

The turnout was 72%. I think the last time we saw a turnout that high in the US for a vote was in 1900.

They technically don't have to do anything because this was only an advisory referendum and isn't mandatory. As long as they don't file for exit (Article 50), they are still under EU regulations.

They can pretend this never happened but with Cameron resigning that's unlikely.

Ah true.  I suppose then there's two questions.

What is the UK's procedure for another referendum killing the first?  I imagine calling for another one is procedural, and could be done as quickly as politically feasible, which seems unlikely right now, but if outrage over the economic consequences (and NHS promise) is strong enough, maybe the pushback will prevent leaving.

And then if they do file for exit via Article 50, what is the likelihood that if they attempted re-entry in a couple years, it'd go smoothly?  My understanding is that entry into the EU requires negotiating a lot of policies, in something like 35 policy areas.  Unless the EU falls into complete turmoil (which is a possibility, but unsure how likely), how likely is it that the EU would extract some major concessions?

Question.

If the UK decided they messed up, could they seek re-entry?  I imagine yes, but after how long?  What kind of concessions would they have to make?

They arent really out yet....

The vote is actually non binding. But the Goverment said they will honor it.  

To leave the EU (Which has never happened) is actually outlined in the EU agreement. Article 50.  IT will take month. Yes -Any time during that the British government could say "You know what...never mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/britain-votes-to-leave-the-eu-what-happens-now-that-brexit-is-a/

Question.

If the UK decided they messed up, could they seek re-entry?  I imagine yes, but after how long?  What kind of concessions would they have to make?

We could reapply, but we'd be starting from scratch at the bottom of the pile. You're talking a long, laborious process that could take decades. There's 35 different criteria to be met which all have to be investigated and looked at. Then we'd have to give up the pound and accept the Euro. Another major stumbling block. But the current vibe from Brussel's is once we're out, we're NEVER getting back in. They hold the power and the votes.

We now no longer have either.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

We could reapply, but we'd be starting from scratch at the bottom of the pile. You're talking a long, laborious process that could take decades. There's 35 different criteria to be met which all have to be investigated and looked at. Then we'd have to give up the pound and accept the Euro. Another major stumbling block. But the current vibe from Brussel's is once we're out, we're NEVER getting back in. They hold the power and the votes. We no longer have either.

Hail. 

Look on the bright side maybe rest of EU will now work together to prevent another country from leaving.

Can someome explain to my what this has to do with race? I mean I keep trying to find real info on this but it's mostly people arguing on Twitter or CNN explaining the situation very poorly. I want to understand what's happening and why but it's difficult to follow.

They arent really out yet....

The vote is actually non binding. But the Goverment said they will honor it.  

To leave the EU (Which has never happened) is actually outlined in the EU agreement. Article 50.  IT will take month. Yes -Any time during that the British government could say "You know what...never mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/britain-votes-to-leave-the-eu-what-happens-now-that-brexit-is-a/

The current PM is resigning because he thinks someone who actually believes in this should be leading it.

Which I respect, but to the point, doesn't that mean the people have to elect a new PM now?

Could they "reverse their decision" by failing to elect a person that runs on actually fulfilling this? Or specifically, electing a person that promises not to follow through?

Not that they would, just asking in regards to: can they undo this.

Can someome explain to my what this has to do with race? I mean I keep trying to find real info on this but it's mostly people arguing on Twitter or CNN explaining the situation very poorly. I want to understand what's happening and why but it's difficult to follow.

Being a member of EU means you have open borders and free movement of people and labor.

UKIP, the party that pushed Brexit, wants the UK to close its borders and create a new immigration system. That would mean that the UK leaves the EU, gives up free movement and consequently gives up free trade pacts with other EU states and Asian/American countries that have pacts with the EU. It also means that London loses its status as the financial hub of Europe over time.

This was partly driven by the refugee crisis and by British nationalists who did not like migration of labor into the UK from other EU member states. Really it was a referendum on closed borders vs free trade and globalization.

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/06/22/the-brexit-debate-has-made-britain-more-racist/

Farage is the same leader who once said his party would “never win the n—-r vote”, and defended using a racist word for Chinese people in live radio broadcasts. In March, he fueled antagonism toward foreigners when he claimed that mass male-on-female sex attacks were a “nuclear bomb” waiting to explode because of the United Kingdom’s “high” immigration levels. (Police records show that sexual assaults have decreased by half since 2006.) Last week, Farage linked the upcoming Brexit vote to the refugee crisis explicitly, and unveiled a poster featuring a queue of Syrian refugees captioned “Breaking point: the EU has failed us.”

Winning your country back is code for..there's too many foreigners which is code for..we need more white people in England. 

• Like 1

I don't think former East Bloc countries like Latvia or the Czech republic will ever want out. The older generation that led the Brexit vote is strongly pro-European and membership was the fulfillment of their dreams after decades of Soviet subjugation.

If Greece wants out, German bankers may be horrified, but German taxpayers will be dancing in the ratskellars at the prospect of no longer having to support their lazy southern neighbors.

It tells me young people are more likely to identify with the political left but less likely to actually vote. What does it tell you?

That they've a heck of a lot longer to live and make informed decisions on that instead of self centred ones from 50 plus people with less time who aren't as informed as research has shown right through this campaign.

Hail.

• Like 1