Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gunman Opens Fire at Pulse Gay Nightclub in Orlando

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I've never performed a background check when giving out candy on Halloween. Maybe I should? :ph34r:

I also don't know where you live but the gun shops I deal with around here would most definitely not sell an order like that. Now if you spread that purchase over a few weeks you might get away with it.

There's typically more than one gun shop in town. I've personally seen people buy 3 guns at once with no background check because like me, they had a concealed carry permit which in my state means it's not required. Besides, is it illegal to do buy in bulk? I don't think so. I've purchased 1000 round lots of AR-15 ammo online for years. Larger lots than that are always available.

Yes but my point was everyone's rushing to "he did it because the Quaran told him to" when it may've been a hatred of gay people having nothing to do with religion.

Now the father is saying there was an incident in Miami where this guy apparently got really pissed that his son had to see two guys kissing each other.

In this case it was the religion of "peace" but that's a red herring. Anyone whether Xtian, Muslim, or just crazy could easily do the same thing if they have no criminal record. And if they do have a record, there's always straw man purchases. We can't do too much about the former but at least there's ostensibly some set of responsible eyes on the transaction whether that's law enforcement or just a concerned gun shop owner. We absolutely can do something about the latter case which takes place in the shadows.
These people were using the correct restroom so why wwould anyone want to kill them?

Now the father is saying there was an incident in Miami where this guy apparently got really pissed that his son had to see two guys kissing each other.

So pissed that he went on a suicide mission... and now his son doesn't even have a father. That's some seriously messed up parenting priorities.

There's typically more than one gun shop in town. I've personally seen people buy 3 guns at once with no background check because like me, they had a concealed carry permit which in my state means it's not required. Besides, is it illegal to do buy in bulk? I don't think so. I've purchased 1000 round lots of AR-15 ammo online for years. Larger lots than that are always available.

Yea I was just saying most gun shop owners I know won't allow you to buy a weapon, multiple mags, and a large amount of ammo.  Not because it is illegal but just because of the red flag it causes.  Now I could probably do it, but that's because they know me personally.  Not saying that is a perfect system, just sharing my experience.

If I decided right now that I hate Christians enough to go shoot up a Sunday church service, I could go to my local gun store and purchase a semi automatic rifle with multiple 30 round magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammo, and I'd have to wait about 20 minutes for a background check to come back (clear) because I'm not a felon. And there is nothing anybody could do to stop me. That is like candy on Halloween.

1)  I'm not certain that your hypothetical is true.  (I'm also not certain that it's not.  Just saying.) 

2)  And, even if your hypothetical is true, that's not literally like candy on Halloween.  It's not a bad analogy, but not literally true. 

so what would you change about the background checks?

How about requiring them for all transactions? You know, a common sense compromise that's supported by (something in the neighborhood of) 90% of citizens, and 80% of NRA members.

1) I'm not certain that your hypothetical is true. (I'm also not certain that it's not. Just saying.)

2) And, even if your hypothetical is true, that's not literally like candy on Halloween. It's not a bad analogy, but not literally true.

Thank you, Larry, for pointing out that basic background checks are not needed to acquire candy on Halloween.

How about requiring them for all transactions? You know, a common sense compromise that's supported by (something in the neighborhood of) 90% of citizens, and 80% of NRA members.

One of the problems with the NRA is that, just like Washington itself, it is not controlled by its members but instead by big business.

Its ridiculous that this ban needed to be "lifted" to begin with.  But I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

i never really understood this. i guess i assumed that all donated blood was tested, rather than just accepting it as 'usable' based on a questionnaire.

I think it's both. 

They won't take blood from certain high-risk groups. 

And they test every pint, anyway. 

Seeing two men kiss is so much more traumatizing for his son than having his dad going on a rampage and murder 50 people before offing himself.  This guy was obviously nuts.  I don't know how you stop this level of insanity.   I don't know what law or preventative measure you can take that will solve the problem of someone with no priors going haywire.  We always want to find someone to blame for the tragedy, but sometimes you can only blame the person committing the act.

Wait. So the shooters son got mad seeing two guys kissing, so the logical thing in the shooters mind was to go into this gay nightclub and kill people?? Or am I incorrect about that?

What lousy people in this world. RIP.

2 shootings in 1 weekend? That's when you know there's a problem in our country. Makes me mad.

Wait. So the shooters son got mad seeing two guys kissing, so the logical thing in the shooters mind was to go into this gay nightclub and kill people?? Or am I incorrect about that?

What lousy people in this world. RIP.

2 shootings in 1 weekend? That's when you know there's a problem in our country. Makes me mad.

I think the father of the shooter said his son (the shooter) was angered by seeing men kissing recently.

I assume this was something that came to mind when trying to understand what his son did and why he might have done it.

Archived