Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Culliver Released

3 Rings

I need someone to explain to me why in the hell we are designating Culliver (and probably Roberts) as Post June 1st cuts?!?

The question is "Would you like to have 3.5M more in cap space this year or next year?"

- The answer is next year, hands down. Unless they are going to extend Cousins this year and pay him a huge Base Salary this year, I dont see how we are going to use it... Thoughts?

***Please note, The Salary Cap "Roll Over" cannot be used from 2016 to 2017. It is 4 year blocks from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020. I must be missing something, because we now have about 12M in cap room and we can easily eat another 2.5M so we can save it until next year.

If the rollover can't happen, then I'd expect to make deals this year (I already expect it).

Reed has ~1.8 mill cap hit this year.  For sake of argument, let's say the skins willing to offer him Jimmy Grahams 4/40 deal, for the next 4 years.  Reed would be making basically 5/42.

Give him a signing bonus and higher salary this year.  Reed gets money now, so it favors him (especially with his injury history). 

Set it up that Reed gets basically 8.4 mill a year.  Lowers the 10 mill hit next year, 1.6 mill (and the 3 years after).  It also adds 6.6 mill to this year, lowering the 12 mill available.  There are more ways than rollover to get money into this year and save for next year.

If the skins sign Baker/Reed then I think there is a good chance to front load the money a bit and use the 2.5 million. 

If Reed and Baker are in future plans (and I think they are), it also helps getting them locked down so you can worry about other things.

edit: If 2017 rolls around, none of those guys are signed and we can't rollover extra cap, then I will be upset. 

No loss in Culliver. He was terrible when healthy last year. Hats off to Bruce for negotiating one hell of a team friendly deal. Cullivers agent must be sweating right now.

In his defense, Culliver was never fully healthy last season.....even before his season ending injury.

Here is an ESPN story talking about the 4 yr spend period. It's over a year old, but it's true. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12404543/oakland-raiders-jacksonville-jaguars-big-free-agency-spenders-clayton-mailbag

Here is one from Pro Football Talk from NBC. It's also a year old, but again the rules are real.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/raiders-panthers-among-10-teams-in-need-of-increasing-cash-spending/

Here is another one that is much more recent. It shows only Jacksonville and Oakland as behind the minimum spend. Both were pretty big players in free agency because of it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/18/as-to-cap-space-the-minimum-means-as-much-the-maximum/

I said 4 yrs ago this would raise players salaries and you would see higher than usual contracts for average guys and that is happening. At least some of it's due to the minimum spend requirement. 

That's great, but I am not questioning the minimum spending rule. I am questioning the lack of a rollover from 16 to 17.

As much as I liked the idea of Culliver being there, the cap room is more valuable, and with his second ACL injury its just too unlikely he can recover and be as effective as he was.  Its a smart move.  I dont think it matters so much these days whether a cut is pre or post-june 1st, as with the ability to now carry over cap dollars, I believe it just ends up being a wash.

Man... I really hoped Cully was gonna work out. He was our big FA signing last year and had that attitude you need at corner. Plus he's only 27. But if you watched his games last year he just didn't make any impact. Qbs were not afraid to go after him. Now after another acl, he just isn't any good. Sorry to see him go.

Culliver was a stud when healthy, I'd have liked to see him on the field with Norman and Breeland.  All of a sudden the CB position is an area of strength on this team.

Maybe he will come back at a reduced number.

Either way, he will find work.  He can play.

I'd take him back for about half his old salary when healthy. He's a good tough player when 100%.

Listening to Cooley's break down about the Corner position, Culliver didn't seem to play within the system.  So, I think there's more to his release than just the cap savings and injury.  The Scot doesn't have much patience for players that aren't buying in.  Long term, that's a very good sign.

Listening to Cooley's break down about the Corner position, Culliver didn't seem to play within the system.  So, I think there's more to his release than just the cap savings and injury.  The Scot doesn't have much patience for players that aren't buying in.  Long term, that's a very good sign.

I agree. It's refreshing to have a GM that recognizes a mistake and corrects it without delay. We are running a tight franchise right now. It feels so good to say that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never heard anything about such a rule, and I really can't think of why it would exist. Therefore, I'm inclined to believe it's not true, absent proof.

And the link you provide say that such is the case, but don't actually provide any of that proof. In fact, they link to another of their own articles which they say addresses it, but I don't see anything that actually does. So, again, I'm going with the assumption that it isn't the case.

That's great, but I am not questioning the minimum spending rule. I am questioning the lack of a rollover from 16 to 17.

So with Roberts being released non-June 1st designation, I have to say this has been on my mind.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

(v)Carrying Over Room.  A Club may “carry over” Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation

The section that discusses minimum spending is over 4 years (2013-2016) and (2017-2020).  But the section on carrying cap over simply states written notice is required from League Year to League Year.

I have sent out an email trying to confirm such things, no responses yet.  After reading more legalese than I'd like, I think the linked article made an incorrect assumption. 

I'm gonna go with the idea that the front office knows more about the salary cap than people on a message board.

I'm not suggesting they don't know.  It's more a matter of if they need to use that money this year instead of next, we can consider what they might do with the money. 

It's slow offseason time and the team isn't going to lay the plan out and i like to speculate.  :)

Considering the amount of contracts that expire next year, I think having the money next year is more important and fairly obvious.

Agreed.  Which is why I was hoping it still rolls over.  Otherwise, Cully as a regular release this year would have made more sense than a June 1st release.

Is there any word on cully visiting other teams?

It's rare for a currently rehabbing player to be signed before they can pass a physical...we failed Culliver on his physical When we released him, so it could be a while.

So with Roberts being released non-June 1st designation, I have to say this has been on my mind.

Edit..
I have sent out an email trying to confirm such things, no responses yet.  After reading more legalese than I'd like, I think the linked article made an incorrect assumption. 

I have to confess I looked pretty hard and I also could not find a direct statement that the cap could not be rolled over. It's somewhat implied but nothing states it directly.

Hopefully you get something official. It would be interesting to know.

Que the :'They know what they are doing better than you' crowd...  I am very, very well aware of that and glad I am not responsible. The team would be in shambles. However, I find the whole thing fascinating. They have managed to take something that should be pretty straight forward and made it so complex you have hire several people that specialize in interpreting the rules. It's purely out of curiousity not to lay in judgment - Of course unless I disagree ;)  :D

It doesn't seem that confusing to me. You can roll the cap over each year.

Separately from that, you have 4 yr windows to hit the minimum cap threshold, then that rests.

Can you post the reference that shows that you can roll the cap over, even after the 4th yr? I have not heard a single team talk about the cap they plan to roll over to next year. Maybe it's just coincidence or not the time they have to, but it seems like there was plenty of that talk last year.

And please, it's not confusing, just interesting and somewhat vague. If you can find something states the rules specifically that would be great.

Archived