Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Culliver Released

3 Rings

I also think they will do the same with Roberts (Eat 2M this year, Net Savings of 3M) so they dont deal with it next year. This allows us enough space to bring back Reed, Cousins, Baker, and 1 of Garcon/Jackson.

And dont be surprised if Hall has a borderline Pro-Bowl year at S. He has proven that he can come up in run support, and his eyes on the QB are 2nd to none. He'll pull in 5+ picks this year

Does anyone know if the void clause changes any of these numbers when it comes to dead cap pre and post Jun 1st?

No. His original contract gave him a 5M signing bonus (1.25M per year), while also guaranteeing his base salary of 3M last year and 8M this year for a total of 16M in guarantees.

His suspension allowed us to void the guaranteed base salary this year (8m), but we still are charged the 3.75M from his signing bonus.

Man, this doesn't make much sense, we are not talking a few dollars here, but 2.5 million. That is a lot of cap space wasted, I wonder why he did that, unless there is a push to bring him back at a lower salary.

Actually with the new cap rules... It really doesn't matter because we are now allowed to carry left over cap space over year to year... As long as we are not short on salary cap and have to cut people this year (and we are not in that situation) then it doesn't matter when the cap number clears our books...

I'm not really attached to Cully and am totally cool with him being cut.  Plenty of low budget guys can perform as well as him.  Besides, two ACL tears = damaged goods.  This is the business side of the NFL, so it was time to move on.

did they void the deal or play nice and cut him so he gets what he's officially owed?

He got $8 million in his pocket for the 6 games he played last year.

That's enough IMO

Feels like the right business and roster move. Feel a little bad for the player. He tried to fight through injury for the team. I appreciate that.

I was thinking the best move would have been to place him on short-term IR with the depth at CB now, but paying him $8 million for maybe 8 games this year after paying $8 million for 6 games last year doesn't make much sense.

The guarantee is what was voided, though. Not the whole contract, if that makes sense.

it really doesn't but I guess it doesn't matter to me

The original contract had 8 mill guaranteed if he played this year with the skins or not.  We would have taken a bath to cut him this year.

Had he played this year, he could have earned the 8 mill.  He was cut, the guarantee is gone, so the only money that he has and keeps is the signing bonus and last years salary.

Agree. Getting tired of armchair GMs in here trying to get rid of him.

Next year (2017) with Doctson (2nd year) and Crowder (3rd year), I really think they will keep one of DJax and Garcon.  Based on how SM talks and the money involved, I really like Garcons chances of staying after this year.  He might get a similar offer/option to test FA like Cully is being told to do (and guys like Pot Roast, Pierre Thomas and Goldson).  I think DJax is the likelier to net a comp pick and higher cap cost.  Maybe they go outside the org, but if SM likes him as much as he says he does and he likes to reward in house guys over new guys, we'll see Garcon for a bit longer.

Says an armchair GM from another viewpoint....

There isn't a single reason why we should keep Garcon after this year over DJax.

Garcon does nothing at an elite level. He's an above average WR with an overinflated sense of his ability and salary expectations.

DJax still has elite level ability in speed and as a deep threat which brings something that nobody else on the roster can.

What Garcon brings to the table is easily replicated. I would prefer to cut or trade him now but I get that we won't do that for whatever reasons. Either way, I wouldn't want him back next year anyway, especially not over DJax

There isn't a single reason why we should keep Garcon after this year over DJax.

Garcon does nothing at an elite level. He's an above average WR with an overinflated sense of his ability and salary expectations.

DJax still has elite level ability in speed and as a deep threat which brings something that nobody else on the roster can.

What Garcon brings to the table is easily replicated. I would prefer to cut or trade him now but I get that we won't do that for whatever reasons. Either way, I wouldn't want him back next year anyway, especially not over DJax

But you also have to consider how much longer DJax has as an elite playmaker with elite speed. He's been in the league since 2008 and durability is a great concern as was evidenced last year

Doors still open if he doesn't get the money he's looking for.

That's great to hear, really. I hope he comes back, feel bad for him, but also because of what it can mean in terms of trust between Scot and the players. 

Had to be a tough call to do that, considering the whole "spirit of the contract" stuff we were hearing from the team. But, business is business. I just hope the hard feelings aren't something they're unable to overcome.   

Good luck to him. If I'm being honest I won't miss him that much. I thought we overpaid and he didn't show much when he was in there (I can't forget him dropping that pick 6 - I'm sure some people know which play I mean). Coming off a major injury this move makes a lot of sense.

Good luck to him. If I'm being honest I won't miss him that much. I thought we overpaid and he didn't show much when he was in there (I can't forget him dropping that pick 6 - I'm sure some people know which play I mean). Coming off a major injury this move makes a lot of sense.

Dropping a pick-6? Umm if we are talking about the same play, he had the clean pick-6 but the refs called him for a bull**** illegal blow to the head on Olsen. 

Dropping a pick-6? Umm if we are talking about the same play, he had the clean pick-6 but the refs called him for a bull**** illegal blow to the head on Olsen.

Nah I'm talking about another game. Can't recall which one.

It was just one play but it stuck out in my mind. He dropped an easy INT and had nothing but green field in front of him. We lost that game.

While I feel bad for how things turned out for Culliver here, this move also makes the Norman signing much less of a head-scratcher.  I still am uncomfortable with the amount of money we gave up for Norman, but at least we'll have room on our depth chart now to develop future CBs.  I kind of view the Culliver/Norman moves as us paying several million dollars to get a "do-over" on Culliver (i.e. when we signed Culliver, we thought we were getting a solid #1 CB with potential upside to be elite).

Norman

Breeland

Blackmon

Fuller

Dunbar / UFA

That's a good rotation - 3 veterans (1 with upside) and 2 developmental guys.

Nah I'm talking about another game. Can't recall which one.

It was just one play but it stuck out in my mind. He dropped an easy INT and had nothing but green field in front of him. We lost that game.

It was the first game of the year against Miami.

Archived