Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vox: PayPal makes it official: North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law will cost the state jobs

China

PayPal makes it official: North Carolina's anti-LGBTQ law will cost the state jobs

Businesses have been increasingly critical of North Carolina's recently passed anti-LGBTQ law. Now, it looks like one big company — PayPal — is officially pulling its business from the state in a move that may cost North Carolina more than 400 jobs.

PayPal President and CEO Dan Schulman announced in a statement on Tuesday:

Two weeks ago, PayPal announced plans to open a new global operations center in Charlotte and employ over 400 people in skilled jobs. In the short time since then, legislation has been abruptly enacted by the State of North Carolina that invalidates protections of the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender citizens and denies these members of our community equal rights under the law.

The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal’s mission and culture. As a result, PayPal will not move forward with our planned expansion into Charlotte.

North Carolina's law bans nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people and stops transgender people in schools and government buildings from using the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity. It has been described by LGBTQ advocates as the most sweeping anti-LGBTQ law in the country.

Since North Carolina passed its anti-LGBTQ law in March, businesses have been voicing their disappointment. A+E Networks and 21st Century Fox said they would reconsider using North Carolina as a filming location in the future. And more than 120 major CEOs signed a letter asking North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory to repeal the law.

Click on the link for the full article

When is PayPal moving their Asian headquarters?.....you know,where they execute such folk

Tolerance  :P

add

PayPal partnered with a Middle East payment company, Network International, to open an office in Dubai. The United Arab Emirates employs the penalty of death to those convicted of being gay or performing gay sex.  So PayPal punishes North Carolina for keeping men out of the ladies' room while sucking up to a government that executes people just because they're gay. Because, justice.

How about PayPal's offices in Moscow?  A June 2013 law outlawed the incredibly broad notion of "gay propaganda." What happened next was not pretty:

Following the ruling, 
The Guardian
 reported on a frightening 
 on gays and lesbians. LGBT teens have been ambushed by vigilante mobs and humiliated or 
 while supporters of gay charities have been blinded or 
. In October, the country came within a hair’s breadth of passing a law that would require local police forces to 
 of gay parents. Luckily, this last proposal was eventually dropped, but the fact that it was ever seriously debated shows just how deeply homophobia is now permeating every sector of Russian society.

So North Carolina thinks it's protecting its citizens by passing a law and Russia deliberately threatens its citizens by passing another.

As for the rest of corporate America thinking of following in PayPal's footsteps, perhaps you should recall the billions tossed by American corporations at Vladimir Putin for the Sochi Olympics. What does that say about your "corporate values"?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/04/05/the-hypocrisy-of-paypals-mission-and-culture/

PayPal is headquartered in San Jose. 

edit..I guess you are talking about their non-European International HQ in Singapore? Perhaps they are more concerned with protecting nondiscriminatory rights in the US - since that's where they are officially located and are an American company?

Either way, it doesn't take away from their punch to NC. 

I like things like this.  I believe in states rights to enact laws that their people want (not this particular law, I think it is unjust.  I mean laws in general).  I also believe in the rights of businesses to stop doing business there. 

Similarly, I personally think private businesses should have a lot more latitude in their businesses practices.  If a business says they don't want to support a gay wedding, I think that is their right.  I also think it is my and everyone else's right (and duty) to go protest outside that business until they go out of business or change their ways.  I think this NC is the same just on a bigger scale. 

I like things like this. I believe in states rights to enact laws that their people want (not this particular law, I think it is unjust. I mean laws in general). I also believe in the rights of businesses to stop doing business there.

Similarly, I personally think private businesses should have a lot more latitude in their businesses practices. If a business says they don't want to support a gay wedding, I think that is their right. I also think it is my and everyone else's right (and duty) to go protest outside that business until they go out of business or change their ways. I think this NC is the same just on a bigger scale.

Should businesses be able to deny service to black people? Muslims? What about a minority owned business that denies service to white people or Christians?

What about businesses that operate in locations that won't put them out of business for such discriminatory practices? They should be allowed, legally, to continue to discriminate without repercussions?

Here is the law, if you want to read it.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v0.pdf

The part that some people are having trouble with now (on top of the anti gay etc language), is that the law appears to also strip North Carolina workers of the ability to sue under the states anti-discrimination law.

"§ 143-422.13. Investigations; conciliations.

22 The Human Relations Commission in the Department of Administration shall have the
23 authority to receive, investigate, and conciliate complaints of discrimination in public
24 accommodations. Throughout this process, the Human Relations Commission shall use its good
25 offices to effect an amicable resolution of the complaints of discrimination. This Article does not
26 create, and shall not be construed to create or support, a statutory or common law private right of
27 action, and no person may bring any civil action based upon the public policy expressed herein."

From what I've read, this means if you are fired because of your gender, or race, or whatever - you have no state level remedy anymore.

That's insane.

Should businesses be able to deny service to black people? Muslims? What about a minority owned business that denies service to white people or Christians?

What about businesses that operate in locations that won't put them out of business for such discriminatory practices? They should be allowed, legally, to continue to discriminate without repercussions?

Which to me begs the question - Is sexual orientation a federally protected class? If not, why not? If it is - how can states pass legislation that harms a protected class?

For the most part, yes.  I don't believe there is a place in this country where a group of BLM, white groups, etc wouldn't go to stand up to that.  And when the business closes, the next person who opens up there will know better.  I support a private persons right to make a stupid choice.  I also support the right of the general public to go cause them to have to shut down.

Here is the law, if you want to read it.

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v0.pdf

Which to me begs the question - Is sexual orientation a federally protected class? If not, why not? If it is - how can states pass legislation that harms a protected class?

I'm waiting for LadySkinsFan to come in here and reprimand you for conflating homosexuality and transgender. :lol:

This was a pretty good look at opposing sides on the law:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/03/us/north-carolina-gender-bathrooms-law-opposing-views/index.html

Probably because self designated sexual orientation opens the door for orientations most find objectionable.

I'll spare you the details

Probably because self designated sexual orientation opens the door for orientations most find objectionable.

I'll spare you the details

Can you elaborate? I didn't realize you could self designate sexual orientation. I don't remember when I chose to be straight.

Edit: flubbed my words.

OK, this bill does nothing to "threaten" homosexuals. All this does is "force" people to use the bathroom/lockeroom of the biological sex they are. If the plumbing is external, use the room marked for males. If the plumbing is internal, use the one marked for females. I am not sure exactly how this is discriminatory - unless we consider feelings ignored to be discriminatory. This issue, to me, is not difficult. If you are biologically a male or female, you will have to use the facilities marked as such. Not exactly sure why to  this is a huge issue. It seems very manufactured to me. Like the hurt feelings at Emory over chalk, there are some boundaries you have to accept. Not all of them are discrimination. 

And please don't try to link this to orientation. This is a completely separate issue.

I like things like this.  I believe in states rights to enact laws that their people want (not this particular law, I think it is unjust.  I mean laws in general).  I also believe in the rights of businesses to stop doing business there. 

Similarly, I personally think private businesses should have a lot more latitude in their businesses practices.  If a business says they don't want to support a gay wedding, I think that is their right.  I also think it is my and everyone else's right (and duty) to go protest outside that business until they go out of business or change their ways.  I think this NC is the same just on a bigger scale. 

Is it a restaurant's right to decide that they won't serve black people? 

The law is more than just self-designated bathrooms. It allows businesses to refuse service to people because they are gay. 

OK, this bill does nothing to "threaten" homosexuals. All this does is "force" people to use the bathroom/lockeroom of the biological sex they are. If the plumbing is external, use the room marked for males.

Wait, what?  That's not "all" the bill does.  Read TEG's post

OK, this bill does nothing to "threaten" homosexuals. All this does is "force" people to use the bathroom/lockeroom of the biological sex they are. If the plumbing is external, use the room marked for males. If the plumbing is internal, use the one marked for females. I am not sure exactly how this is discriminatory - unless we consider feelings ignored to be discriminatory. This issue, to me, is not difficult. If you are biologically a male or female, you will have to use the facilities marked as such. Not exactly sure why to  this is a huge issue. It seems very manufactured to me. Like the hurt feelings at Emory over chalk, there are some boundaries you have to accept. Not all of them are discrimination. 

And please don't try to link this to orientation. This is a completely separate issue.

You're wrong.  It is more than just saying transgenders can't use the bathroom of the gender they identify with.  

Is it a restaurant's right to decide that they won't serve black people? 

No.  But I think it should be.  And as I said it is my right and everyone else's that believes it's wrong to go protest that restaurant until they change their policy or close down.

Archived