Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

Saw a thing a while back. Disney has applied for a patent. Guests can wear a kind of VR headset, that allows CG images to be shown on top of reality, and will carry a light saber hilt with position and motion sensors. The VR will display a light saber blade coming from the hilt. Stations and drones around the park will "fire blaster bolts" (projected by the VR), which will be deflected by the light saber beam. 

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

Saw a thing a while back. Disney has applied for a patent. Guests can wear a kind of VR headset, that allows CG images to be shown on top of reality, and will carry a light saber hilt with position and motion sensors. The VR will display a light saber blade coming from the hilt. Stations and drones around the park will "fire blaster bolts" (projected by the VR), which will be deflected by the light saber beam. 

That's called AR (augmented reality).  Sounds pretty awesome.  That's where FB and Google and all the big players are focusing.  Going to have a much bigger effect on our lives than VR will.  The possibilities are endless.  

10 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

A new gaming computer, or play make believe in a hotel for 2 days?

Hmmm....

Ever been on a Disney vacation before?  The Mouse has sticky fingers.

Hotel room for 2 nights at call it $250/night.  2 days of passes to an amusement park (over $100/day).  You're already over $700, and it's not clear if "all inclusive" in that article means food too.  Granted, if it is literal when it says $900-$1k/person so that a couple would be paying $1,800-$2k, that's a bit much.  But since the hotel room is part of it I'm assuming that would not be the case.

16 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Never been to Disney and I have no desire to. I don't mean that in a stick in the mud way, it's just not how I'd spend my money. 

I mean no disrespect to anyone but I have to agree here. I have friends who go every year and they are so into it. For me, I just don't get it.  I've went twice as a kid and it was ok, I enjoyed other places we stopped on the way more. My son went with his mother and said he thought it was boring.  For me, I would do other things with that kind of money, but for those people that love it and have the money, cheers...

16 hours ago, Bliz said:

That's called AR (augmented reality).  Sounds pretty awesome.  That's where FB and Google and all the big players are focusing.  Going to have a much bigger effect on our lives than VR will.  The possibilities are endless.  

Explain please. From initial descriptions, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be owed royalties. I invented something very similar around age 12. Put in a lot of hours over that summer between 7th & 8th grade.

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Explain please. From initial descriptions, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be owed royalties. I invented something very similar around age 12. Put in a lot of hours over that summer between 7th & 8th grade.

Congrats on being a future billionaire!  (you did remember to patent it, right?)

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Kosher Ham said:

See I think this is part of what the problem was with I - III. We already knew that Vader was going to die, we already knew who the emperor was, etc. 

This scenario...we already know that Boba is the seed of the drones, we know that he dies in a pathetic manner, we know that he only got  Solo because of Vader. His character was not very impressive. I would rather see a movie or two that explains how the Jedi council was formed and how they found all these young kids with the force, how Yoda came to be Jedi. Mace, and some of the other would be interesting also. 

Believe it or not some people watch the Prequels not knowing everything that is going to happen.  Kids nowadays watch Star Wars starting with Anakin's origin in Episodes 1-3.  Take this young ladies reaction:

https://youtu.be/KMLmGi6AK-c

And they were my introduction to The Galaxy Far Far Away as well.  The first SW movie I ever saw was The Phantom Menace.   I like the Preqs mainly for that reason. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

You guys see that Kathleen Kennedy has fired Lord and Miller from the Han Solo movie? Boneheaded move by Disney.

Thank God she never got a chance to mess with Episode 8. 

It doesn't matter.  The Han Solo movie is gonna suck regardless.  Probably have the same tone as an episode of Wings. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It doesn't matter.  The Han Solo movie is gonna suck regardless.  Probably have the same tone as an episode of Wings. 

People have said that the Kasdan script for the movie was fantastic. But now that they have no idea who the director is going to be...

11 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Disagree.... less comedy in Star Wars the better, the sci fi drama route more interesting.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-why-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018. 

Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to the written word — what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said that source.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DM72 said:

If that was the case, I'm glad they were fired.

Me too....Han Solo is a selfish egotistical ahole that the Luke and Leia had to convince to do what was right. I don't want to see the space version of the "Other Guys".

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Me too....Han Solo is a selfish egotistical ahole that the Luke and Laura had to convince to do what was right. I don't want to see the space version of the "Other Guys".

You mean Luke and Leia. Luke and Laura was General Hospital. Lol

But I agree.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

You mean Luke and Leia. Luke and Laura was General Hospital. Lol

But I agree.

LMAO. Now that was funny.

I'm reasonably confident in the Kasdan script. If they can find a half-way competent director (like Ron Howard) I think the movie will be fine. 

Edited by Mournblade
  • Like 3