Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That Mandalorian season finale was badass. 

That's it?  

Who the eff came up with this idea of producing "series", where a "season" is 6 weeks long?  You honestly expect to build up a following with that?  

I was assuming that was a cliffhanger to last till January.  

22 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's it?  

Who the eff came up with this idea of producing "series", where a "season" is 6 weeks long?  You honestly expect to build up a following with that?  

I was assuming that was a cliffhanger to last till January.  

It was an eight episode season, which felt fine to me, especially considering the relatively small number of main characters.  If GOT can cram that much into a season in 10 episodes, no reason why any show needs more than that.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It was an eight episode season, which felt fine to me, especially considering the relatively small number of main characters.  If GOT can cram that much into a season in 10 episodes, no reason why any show needs more than that.

I need more than that. I need some continuity. Some time to become friends with the characters. 

Show me 8 episodes, then nothing for 10 months, and when you start back up, I've forgotten what happened. And yeah, I know I could watch S1 again when S2 is about to start up. But I refuse to do homework to get ready to watch a tv show. 

Alright you Star Wars nerds, after I finish mandalorian tonight, which SW show do you recommend watching next? I’ve never watch any of the animation before but ready to get into it with my son. I know nothing about them. 

Edited by Hersh

Rise of Skywalker was bad, SyFy world premiere bad. Everything, and I mean everything in this movie felt unearned.

Spoiler

Early on they tried to give some forced camaraderie to these characters that was sorely missing in the first two movies and the "hey look at us trying to be friends" bickering between all of the characters in the beginning was nothing but cringe. The chemistry was simply lacking. Other than that there's absolutely no growth/change to these characters in three movies. Rey is still the flawless super-woman. Finn is still...Finn. Poe is still trying to be a leader I guess. Kylo as always is still petulant and regressed to wanting to be Vader 2.0 again until his sudden turn in the end.  In between the forced camaraderie and bickering is the fast-paced treasure hunt that gets more ridiculous as it goes on. We're zipping from this planet to that planet and more new characters are introduced along the way as if the movie needs more characters people couldn't give a damn about. The familiar OT musical themes are there to remind the audience of better days but by the time Han and Luke make their guest appearances to pour on the nostalgia in an attempt to save this wreck I was already mentally checked out. From then on it was just a matter of surviving the Emperor's dumb as "F" plan and that ridiculous space battle where they basically channeled Avatar with a particular scene and dialogue. Similar to The Last Jedi this will be a one-timer for me.  It's a wreck of a trilogy that I'll ignore just like Lucas's prequel trilogy.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Alright you Star Wars nerds, after I finish mandalorian tonight, which SW show do you recommend watching next? I’ve never watch any of the animation before but ready to get into it with my son. I know nothing about them. 

Depending on your son's age and maturity, the original clone wars animated series can be a bit dark, especially in the later seasons.  So you may want to check out a few episodes to see if it's a good fit.

The more recent Rebels series is also top notch and very kid friendly.  Also done by Filoni.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Depending on your son's age and maturity, the original clone wars animated series can be a bit dark, especially in the later seasons.  So you may want to check out a few episodes to see if it's a good fit.

The more recent Rebels series is also top notch and very kid friendly.  Also done by Filoni.

what do you mean original animated clone war series? Are there multiple clone war series?

12 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

I loved the Mandalorian season. But this series is what 25-35 years after Revenge of the Sith? How does no one remember Yoda? There was also a female Yoda species on the Jedi Council. How is no one like..... oh **** a baby Yoda?

I did have the same thought but Luke had no idea who Yoda was. A lot of Americans can’t name anyone on the SCOTUS. If you live on a planet in which no Jedi have ever been, how much would you know?

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

what do you mean original animated clone war series? Are there multiple clone war series?

There's an animated movie which spawned the animated series.

Rebels will help you get the ending to the Mandolorian. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hersh said:

What TK said.  But in terms of TV series, yeah there's only one clone wars animated series.  Sorry for my poor wording.

13 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I did have the same thought but Luke had no idea who Yoda was. A lot of Americans can’t name anyone on the SCOTUS. If you live on a planet in which no Jedi have ever been, how much would you know?

And it's not too hard to imagine Palpatine and Co working very hard to scrub the galaxy clean of memories of any Jedi heroics.  Plus, even people who may have heard of this great Grand Master may have never seen images of Yoda.

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

What TK said.  But in terms of TV series, yeah there's only one clone wars animated series.  Sorry for my poor wording.

And it's not too hard to imagine Palpatine and Co working very hard to scrub the galaxy clean of memories of any Jedi heroics.  Plus, even people who may have heard of this great Grand Master may have never seen images of Yoda.

They would have perfected Fox News level disinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drowland said:

Agreed a lot of great stuff and a nice end to the season.

Reveal hidden contents

The Armorer crackin' stormtrooper helmets with the hammer was some of the more brutal **** I've seen in Star Wars.

Greef asking Baby Yoda to do his magic hands was hilarious.

IG-11 as Baby Yoda's protector I'd like to see more of but thought his sacrifice was emotional and well done. 

I know what Pedro Pascal looks like but having his helmet removed and seeing his face fault strange for some reason.  It almost looked CGI'd on.  I'll have to re-watch it.   

People complain about Gina Carano's acting but I think she's been fine and hope she's back for more.  

Gideon's back story is going to be interesting.  How he got the blacksaber and how he escaped execution as Mando and Cara thought.   

Agree 100% with everything you said. 

On to Rebels series. Where in the timeline is Rebels compared to Mandalorian? 

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Agree 100% with everything you said. 

On to Rebels series. Where in the timeline is Rebels compared to Mandalorian? 

Rebels leads up to Rogue One. 

Mando is 5 years after ROTJ. 

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

I could understand Luke not knowing. He was a farm boy on an outer world planet being sheltered on purpose.

Spoiler

An ex-Storm trooper, the leader of the Mandalorins, and the guy running the Bounty Hunters guild. Seems unlikely not one of them would recognize it. I'm probably just nitpicking the story for no reason. I love the show. Gonna start watching Rebels now. 

Thoughts on Mando S1 finale..

Love the darksaber at the end but how did Gideon get it away from Bo-Katan? The raid on Mandalore should be flashbacked on S2, hopefully. Also what does this mean for Sabine Wren? Will she, Hera, and/or Ezra make an appearance in S2? That'd be an even more huge bone to throw to Rebels fans.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

I’m not worried about them not knowing Yoda but I think the bigger problem is that they don’t know what the force is or that people can harness the force or have force powers. Random people in the galaxy, sure but these arent random nobodies going thru life. 

The Mandalorians fought the Jedi. You’d think Mando would have heard of this before and what the Jedi could do. 

Cara was part of the rebels as a shock trooper. The rebels are constantly saying “may the force be with you” it’s basically the equivalent of saying goodbye. She never asked what the force is or heard stories or anything? 

it doesn’t make any sense 

Cara Dune from Aldaraan.

I'd expect her to know, of all people, about the force. She'd have been roughly the same age as Luke/Leia and would have known what happened with them, even if she was a shock trooper between the end of the Battle of Endor and the time period of the Mando S1 (5 years after Battle of Endor). 

That said, I have no problem with people who never saw the force being used before being stumped by it. It was a hokey religion with ancient weapons to most.

A fairy tale or an ancient made up story.

Edited by The Evil Genius

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I’m not worried about them not knowing Yoda but I think the bigger problem is that they don’t know what the force is or that people can harness the force or have force powers.

In TFA though, no one really believed the Jedi or even knew what they did. They were more fables.

To me, it stayed consistent...something the prequels failed miserably at.

52 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Enjoying watching Rebels. Another question for y'all: What's the purpose of storm troopers wearing all that gear? It seems to serve no purpose. 

Well, it does appear to interfere with their marksmanship.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1