Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Well so much for that :(

You'll thank me later when someone does finally convince you to watch it.  

I say that as someone who's about go put myself through Episode 9 because I love sci-fi and don't want my hatred of what happened to this trilogy to be from a place of ignorance, if that makes any sense at all.

Hot Take (free to ignore): Rouge One was best Star Wars movie because it was the only one honest enough to kill the entire cast because that's what happens when you go up against a space station the size of a moon that can destroy planets.  All things balanced, as they should be...

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Filoni needs to write a series about The Jedi Purge after Order 66. Only from the Empire's perspective--make it dark as ****.

Totally agree, this is why I think Star Wars could be knee capped in it's potential because of the resistance there will be from them making any Rated-R Star Wars movies. Not that it's necessary, but don't expect it to happen, folks like Carnage in Marvel have to be in a Rated-R otherwise it's just a cartoon to stick on band-aids.

I think this whole Star Wars purchase exposes Disney as a superpower when making adaptations of someone else original content. 

Name one good Disney sequel that isn't in the Marvel Universe? Those aren't sequels anyway, that's Disney trying to fit decades worth of Marvel source material into connected film trilogies (without the X-Men). Little Mermaid is based on a legend in Europe, wtf was the sequel about? It's so weird because they are so good at turning folks you never heard of into stars with shows they make for them from scratch, but again thats basically the actor playing themselves until their range improves *cough, Daisy Ridley

I was expecting Avengers with lightsabers, yet they insist in making a new fur baby to sell with every episode because Lucas had a habit after making Ewoks in RTOJ and Disney was always Mockey Mouse HQ.

Marvel has so much source material it's hard to screw it up unless you just don't care, Fox is the sith here, you were supposed to be the chosen one, Disney!  You were supposed to destroy the sith, not join them!

I've asked a couple times in this thread if books we're being referenced in the new Star Wars movies or could be used for future movies, and doesn't sound like that's what Disney wanted to do.  Can you imagine if they were just winging it on Captain America?

How in the hell is Pirates of the Caribbean better then the new Star Wars trilogy? Too many egos that believed because it was Star Wars folks would show up no matter what. I keep hearing the cartoons are better, that's something a DC Universe fan would day, I never in a million years thought this is what Disney would do with Star Wars.

200_d.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How in the hell is Pirates of the Caribbean better then the new Star Wars trilogy? Too many egos that believed because it was Star Wars folks would show up no matter what. I keep hearing the cartoons are better, that's something a DC Universe fan would day, I never in a million years thought this is what Disney would do with Star Wars.

I didn't mind the new trilogy all that much--it certainly beats the holy crap out of the prequels. Ep III was supposed to put the audience through a Gone Girl level wringer, instead, it's a meme about broken hearts, high grounds, and god knows what. My biggest issue was the sequels was Kylo Ren was mild, and overall, I just didn't connect or care all that much about the characters. A villain of that magnitude needs to capture my attention--like Vader in the OT, Heath Ledger's Joker, Kevin Spacey's John Doe, Josh Brolin's Thanos, Anthony Hopkins' Lecter, etc. Make me feel uncomfortable when they're on the screen.

I enjoyed the 1st couple of times, but after that, the re-watchability died out. There were parts I liked, but it just felt hollow over all. 

The Clone Wars is really good, Rebels was better (I love, love the Inquisitor characters, that have continued in Jedi Fallen Order), the Mandalorian is fantastic. Now word has it Taika Waititi is scheduled to make the next movie, which is interesting.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Now word has it Taika Waititi is scheduled to make the next movie, which is interesting.

I've only seen Jojo Rabbit, but my attention is piqued.

We're thrust into the Second Order, an imperial society that took control after the fall of the First Order.  Kylo Ren, it turns out, forced-impregnated Rey, and she has a super force-baby who grows up in this Second Order society and he idolizes imperialism.  He even has an imaginary friend, Darth Vader, who acts as his conscience as he experiences his coming-of-age.  Stephen Merchant plays a descendant of Grand Moff Tarkin, who is a is cheery, polite imperialist, though a bit creepy (it's hard to avoid that vibe with Merchant).

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'm about ready to move on from the Skywalker era and get in some fresh, interesting new characters that don't revolve around the clones, the empire, or the first order (whatever the hell that was).

I know fans have been clamoring for a movie set in the Old Republic - thousands of years before the events of Episode 1. Not a time period explored at all in the film series. I'm just tired of having all the new shows/movies having the events of the main story involved with backdrop somehow, whether it be the Mandolorian, Rogue One, Solo, etc.

We need new characters, new worlds, new story entirely. I think we could see a true renaissance in Star Wars, since they would be able to get creative without the constraints of the main timeline.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I've only seen Jojo Rabbit, but my attention is piqued.

We're thrust into the Second Order, an imperial society that took control after the fall of the First Order.  Kylo Ren, it turns out, forced-impregnated Rey, and she has a super force-baby who grows up in this Second Order society and he idolizes imperialism.  He even has an imaginary friend, Darth Vader, who acts as his conscience as he experiences his coming-of-age.  Stephen Merchant plays a descendant of Grand Moff Tarkin, who is a is cheery, polite imperialist, though a bit creepy (it's hard to avoid that vibe with Merchant).

I see what you did there. 

Well played. :)

JoJo was an amazing flick. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

need new characters, new worlds, new story entirely. I think we could see a true renaissance in Star Wars, since they would be able to get creative without the constraints of the main timeline.

I think this is what makes the Madalorian so successful. It doesn't rely on any familiar, standard character. C3P0, Chewbacca or whoever else are not thrust into the story line. There are a couple of references to The Clone Wars/Rebels series, but by and large, its entirely new.

Although Ahsoka Tano is supposed to be in the next season, which is awesome.

i have nothing to add to this thread anymore. But I’ll try. 

still think the ST would have been great had they continued some of the darker original ideas they had. As it stands, the only movie of the 3 that they took a chance on ended up being flawed but still probably the second best Star Wars movie ever. The most well acted of the entire saga, a movie that actually had something Interesting to say and was more than just “here are the highlights from 30 years ago” which is all TFA and ROS are. They wimped out though and just tried to appeal to fans nostalgia rather than make their own movies with their own vision. 

and everyone hated it anyway. Such a waste. I don’t feel much for this franchise anymore. I’m just around for the baby Yoda and Mando at this point 

Just start something new. 500 years into the future. Completely removed from the Skywalker line or any character we know. That’s long enough for there to believably be new galaxy altering threats. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

A mist well acted of the entire saga, a movie that actually had something Interesting to say and was more than just “here are the highlights from 30 years ago” which is all TFA and ROS are. They wimped out though and just tried to appeal to fans nostalgia rather than make their own movies with their own vision. 

This is pretty accurate. It felt like it had too many cooks in the kitchen and lacked focus.

1 hour ago, TK said:

I see what you did there. 

Well played. :)

JoJo was an amazing flick. 

I now really want this to happen.  I need to find a role for Sam Rockwell.  Imperial guard?  Bounty Hunter?

Definitely need to have Porkins' grandson be our protagonist's best friend.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I now really want this to happen.  I need to find a role for Sam Rockwell.  Imperial guard?  Bounty Hunter?

Definitely need to have Porkins' grandson be our protagonist's best friend.

Michael Biehn of Aliens and Terminator fame is going to be a Bounty Hunter in the next season of The Mandalorian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

When does the next season drop? And I hope it's not like Netflix where it's like every 2-3 years. It hard to keep a vested interest.

October 2020 and season 3 already rumored to be in the works.  I'm hoping that means enough filming has been completed by now to be unaffected by covid.

• Like 1